Error upgrading from 3.0.8 to 3.2.4

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
elc79

Error upgrading from 3.0.8 to 3.2.4

Post by elc79 »

Hi everyone, i got surprised by an error while upgrading from 3.0.8 to 3.2.4, everything seems to be ok during the operation until this error:
Fatal error: SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]<br /><br />Table 'walkinm9_foro.phpbb_3oauth_states' doesn't exist [1146]<br /><br />An SQL error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact the <a href="mailto:xxx">Board Administrator</a> if this problem persists. in C:\Ampps\www\wd\phpbb\db\driver\driver.php on line 997

Call Stack:
0.0010 135224 1. {main}() C:\Ampps\www\wd\bin\phpbbcli.php:0
10.6746 15654824 2. Symfony\Component\Console\Application->run() C:\Ampps\www\wd\bin\phpbbcli.php:90
10.8016 15824144 3. phpbb\console\application->doRun() C:\Ampps\www\wd\vendor\symfony\console\Application.php:117
10.8016 15824360 4. Symfony\Component\Console\Application->doRun() C:\Ampps\www\wd\phpbb\console\application.php:122
10.8026 15824816 5. Symfony\Component\Console\Application->doRunCommand() C:\Ampps\www\wd\vendor\symfony\console\Application.php:185
10.8856 15857152 6. Symfony\Component\Console\Command\Command->run() C:\Ampps\www\wd\vendor\symfony\console\Application.php:853
10.8866 15858232 7. phpbb\console\command\db\migrate->execute() C:\Ampps\www\wd\vendor\symfony\console\Command\Command.php:245
13.2468 18559424 8. phpbb\db\migrator->update() C:\Ampps\www\wd\phpbb\console\command\db\migrate.php:68
13.2468 18559528 9. phpbb\db\migrator->update_do() C:\Ampps\www\wd\phpbb\db\migrator.php:241
13.2578 18560304 10. phpbb\db\migrator->try_apply() C:\Ampps\www\wd\phpbb\db\migrator.php:288
13.3738 18562984 11. phpbb\db\migrator->process_data_step() C:\Ampps\www\wd\phpbb\db\migrator.php:436
13.3738 18563040 12. phpbb\db\migrator->run_step() C:\Ampps\www\wd\phpbb\db\migrator.php:661
13.3738 18563576 13. call_user_func_array:{C:\Ampps\www\wd\phpbb\db\migrator.php:714}() C:\Ampps\www\wd\phpbb\db\migrator.php:714
13.3738 18563968 14. phpbb\db\migration\data\v310\bot_update->update_bots() C:\Ampps\www\wd\phpbb\db\migrator.php:714
13.5558 19602992 15. user_delete() C:\Ampps\www\wd\phpbb\db\migration\data\v310\bot_update.php:138
14.7858 19973880 16. phpbb\db\driver\factory->sql_query() C:\Ampps\www\wd\includes\functions_user.php:676
14.7858 19973912 17. phpbb\db\driver\mysqli->sql_query() C:\Ampps\www\wd\phpbb\db\driver\factory.php:329
14.8048 19974112 18. phpbb\db\driver\driver->sql_error() C:\Ampps\www\wd\phpbb\db\driver\mysqli.php:193
14.8058 19975488 19. trigger_error() C:\Ampps\www\wd\phpbb\db\driver\driver.php:997
This is the output from phpbbcli.php and this the output from the installer:
General Error:SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]Table 'walkinm9_foro.phpbb_3oauth_states' doesn't exist [1146]SQLDELETE FROM phpbb_3oauth_states WHERE user_id = 3939 in file C:\Ampps\www\wd\phpbb\db\driver\driver.php on line 997BACKTRACEFILE: (not given by php)LINE: (not given by php)CALL: installer_msg_handler()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/driver/driver.phpLINE: 997CALL: trigger_error()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/driver/mysqli.phpLINE: 193CALL: phpbb\db\driver\driver->sql_error()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/driver/factory.phpLINE: 329CALL: phpbb\db\driver\mysqli->sql_query()FILE: [ROOT]/includes/functions_user.phpLINE: 676CALL: phpbb\db\driver\factory->sql_query()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/migration/data/v310/bot_update.phpLINE: 138CALL: user_delete()FILE: (not given by php)LINE: (not given by php)CALL: phpbb\db\migration\data\v310\bot_update->update_bots()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/migrator.phpLINE: 714CALL: call_user_func_array()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/migrator.phpLINE: 661CALL: phpbb\db\migrator->run_step()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/migrator.phpLINE: 436CALL: phpbb\db\migrator->process_data_step()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/migrator.phpLINE: 288CALL: phpbb\db\migrator->try_apply()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/migrator.phpLINE: 241CALL: phpbb\db\migrator->update_do()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/install/module/update_database/task/update.phpLINE: 160CALL: phpbb\db\migrator->update()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/install/module_base.phpLINE: 149CALL: phpbb\install\module\update_database\task\update->run()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/install/installer.phpLINE: 219CALL: phpbb\install\module_base->run()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/install/controller/update.phpLINE: 133CALL: phpbb\install\installer->run()FILE: (not given by php)LINE: (not given by php)CALL: phpbb\install\controller\update->phpbb\install\controller\{closure}()FILE: [ROOT]/vendor/symfony/http-foundation/StreamedResponse.phpLINE: 111CALL: call_user_func()FILE: [ROOT]/vendor/symfony/http-foundation/Response.phpLINE: 383CALL: Symfony\Component\HttpFoundation\StreamedResponse->sendContent()FILE: [ROOT]/install/app.phpLINE: 62CALL: Symfony\Component\HttpFoundation\Response->send()
Update database…

Installing Data: \phpbb\db\migration\data\v310\bot_update.
I think this is the same, prior to this i did everything is said here, i used the database cleaner tool from STK, i disabled every style except prosilver, i putted british english as default language, i did everything but the installer failed and now i don't know what to do. Any help please?
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Re: Error upgrading from 3.0.8 to 3.2.4

Post by warmweer »

I have the impression you're working on localhost.
Why use CLI when the standard update system works just fine? I have no idea about the size of your board but on localhost databases up to 500 MB (I've done larger) upgrade without problems without CLI.

You mentioned disabling all styles but for prosilver. You could just completely remove them since a 3.0 style isn't compatible with 3.1 or 3.2 anyway.
Sometimes it's very small things which mess up an upgrade.
I suggest restarting and updating in stages : >>> 3.0.14 >>>3.1.12 >>>3.2.4 (perhaps a little bit more work but it pays in the end.

As for the STK, it's not perfect. It remove tables and fields but doesn't check field definitions (I think) and doesn't check for extra permissions (I think). If you had modificatons, it's best to look at the installation files to see which changes have to be reversed, before starting the upgrade process.
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.
elc79

Post by elc79 »

It's true, i'm doing this in localhost with ampps. Let me explain, this is a forum transfered forum to localhost because i had a error during the upgrade, the forum was lost and it was a nightmare to recover as it was before the upgrade operation because of timeout errors while uploading the database, i was able to uploading the database splitting in smaller files, before i did anything the forum was in 3.0.8, i update the forum to 3.0.14 but i'm scared to upgrading to 3.2, so i'm trying in localhost where is no risk to lost the forum again. It's not my forum, i'm doing this as a favour to my friend because he has no time to do this, everything i have is a ftp account and a forum account with administrative permissions, i don't even have account to phpmyadmin or access to the panel, but i don't really need it.

I used the installer first but it failed so i tried with phpbbcli.php with the same result. I had to disable one style because it was the default theme, and the STK removed a personal range field, to the other questions i said yes to all. I don't know if this forum have any mod, no mod is seen in ACP.

It makes sense to upgrading in stages, but if it's better to do it in this way, why there is a direct way to upgrade from 3.0 to 3.2? I will try to do as you said but i don't understand why this error with a table that doesn't exist in phpbb 3.0, it could be for the mysql or php version? i'm on mysql 5.6.37 and php 5.6.31.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

elc79 wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:36 pm
It makes sense to upgrading in stages, but if it's better to do it in this way, why there is a direct way to upgrade from 3.0 to 3.2? I will try to do as you said but i don't understand why this error with a table that doesn't exist in phpbb 3.0, it could be for the mysql or php version? i'm on mysql 5.6.37 and php 5.6.31.
It''s not the MySQL or php version. Why it fails sometimes is difficult to establish. Online, timeouts can happen,but those can be avoided on localhost.
I have updated quite a few boards in 1 movement, but also quite a few that produced errors, errors which didn't appear when I used the staggered upgrade. The autoupdate on the other hand ends up erroring too many times for my taste, usually something to do with the FTPtransfer and delete/write permissions, especially when upgrading.

Mind you, I've found that phpBB is quite good at restarting/continuing the update after an initial fail.

BTW, I have to admit I have no knowledge about CLI since the "standard" way has always worked for me. (if I get timeouts online, I update/grade on localhost and then just upload).
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.
EA117

Post by EA117 »

elc79 wrote:
...but i don't understand why this error with a table that doesn't exist in phpbb 3.0...
In the error message you're citing, it's the v310\bot_update.php migration module that is triggering code that depends on the oauth_states table, which doesn't exist (yet) in your database.

The cited line is invoking user_delete from /includes/functions_user.php, which appears to be executing 3.2.4-level user_delete logic during migration. It's not clear to me though which part might be unique to the migration you're doing: The fact that OAUTH is in the table of authentication providers at that point, or the fact that one of the bot names detected qualifies as one the migration wants to delete.

I'm guessing the latter. I'm not in a position to look and confirm at the moment, but wasn't there a question during STK database cleanup regarding "resetting the bots list back to default"? I'm thinking maybe you didn't opt into that, and now there is a bot the migration needs to deal with deleting. Otherwise I and other users would have hit that same issue too when the v310 migration ran during our 3.0.x to 3.2.x updates.

Which maybe still means this is a bug in the migration code; and user_delete didn't expect to be invoked while migration is in progress. But possibly explains why many/most people don't encounter it. Or maybe I'm just way off base, since I don't look at the migration code enough to know what I'm really talking about.

elc79 wrote:
It makes sense to upgrading in stages, but if it's better to do it in this way, why there is a direct way to upgrade from 3.0 to 3.2?
In general you're correct and it "shouldn't" make a difference to try and go all the way from 3.0.x to 3.2.x. The only reason there "should" be a difference is if someone dropped the ball and edited or removed a necessary migration module action from the 3.2.x release as compared to the earlier 3.1.x or 3.0.x release. e.g. Something that was deemed obsolete or unnecessary, but still plays some role in the migration you're trying to perform.

Using the older installation set makes you run through the migration code that was present in that older release, instead of what should be "the exact same or equivalent" migration code included in the current release. You could probably argue either way on that point; issues that have been later identified about the migration modules are only going to be fixed in the later/current installation set's migration modules; and those issues would still exist when using the older installation sets' migration code.

elc79 wrote:
...it could be for the mysql or php version? i'm on mysql 5.6.37 and php 5.6.31.
5.6 was of course needed to run the 3.0.x board. When I did my 3.0.14 to 3.2.2 migration, I ran the STK with 5.x still set as the php version, since that's required for the STK too. But after uploading the 3.2.x full package to the board, and before attempting to invoke anything about /install/, I updated to the latest 7.x php version that was supported. So that the migration and database update would run in a php 7.x environment, as would eventually the phpBB 3.2.x board itself.
elc79

Post by elc79 »

Thanks for your reply, EA117. The thing with that table is very strange to me, it's supposed to be created by the installer as this table doesn't exist in phpBB 3.0, i don't know if exist in phpBB 3.1, but if the installer doesn't create the table is a bug there, isn't?

I think maybe i did a mistake as i runned STK in phpBB 3.0.8 and probably i had to run it with the last 3.0 subversion available, 3.0.14. Anyway, i said yes to every question, i don't remember the questions but if there's one calling to reset the bots, i answered yes.

I said it makes sense to do the upgrade in stages, i tested this method and it worked, first updating to 3.0.14, then to 3.1.12, and finally to 3.2.4, everything was fine. It's normal way to upgrade from one version to the next as upgrading to one version to a version two steps behind could be problematic. I will make another test updating to 3.0.14, running STK in this version, and then upgrading to 3.2.4 because i think that i did it wrong with STK running it in 3.0.8, it's supposed that STK runs in any version from 3.0.0 to 3.0.14 but i don't know if it's something wrong on the original install, maybe it's a question of luck.
EA117

Post by EA117 »

Good; sounds like you got things resolved with warmweer's recommendation to take it a version at a time. No perfect explanation of why that would make a necessary differen...

Oh, "duh"... it's because running the phpBB 3.1.12 installation set is only going to be calling a 3.1.12-level user_delete function during the 3.1.x bot_update.php migrate module. And the 3.1.12 user_delete function won't be attempting the 3.2.x-specific oauth_states table update when invoking auth provider handling.

The issue occurs when it's the 3.2.4 user_delete function being called during a 3.1.x migration module (bot_update.php), and the 3.2.4 auth provider wants to update the oauth_states table, which isn't going to get added to the database until the 3.2.x migration modules run later. So only a 3.2.x installation set could demonstrate this issue, and only when the board version being upgraded is low enough that the v310/bot_update.php migration module will be run. Both conditions you avoided by upgrading to 3.1.12 first, and then from 3.1.2 to 3.2.4.

Yeah, I think I'll try to report that as a bug just based on your call stack here, even though I couldn't say for sure I know how to replicate this issue. EDIT: https://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-15909

The reason the theory of "SDK reset bots list" seemed logical is because if it's happening while trying to delete a bot that would still exist even in the default list, everyone (including myself) should have encountered the issue you did when trying to upgrade straight from 3.0.x to 3.2.x. But you're right, it doesn't "have" to be the STK bot list reset at issue here; it could be that the OAUTH authentication provider is only optionally present in the auth provider list that the 3.2.x user_delete function enumerates through. But is present in the auth providers on your board.
elc79

Post by elc79 »

For sure after this experience if i have to upgrade in stages i will do it, as singer said "there's no shorcut home". I tested few hours ago after updating the same install to 3.0.14, then trying the upgrade to 3.2.4 and it failed, step back, i did it in stages, no problem. But to be very honest, it's easy to do this in localhost, but still i am a little bit scaried to do this in the server, the upgrade to 3.1 is easy as you have to press the continue button many times until the upgrade is complete, but with 3.2... maybe the installer will show some timeout messages, sometimes i simply refresh the page but i don't know if this is safe, is very fast with phpbbcli.php but without access to the ssh server... not cool.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

elc79 wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:00 pm
For sure after this experience if i have to upgrade in stages i will do it, as singer said "there's no shorcut home". I tested few hours ago after updating the same install to 3.0.14, then trying the upgrade to 3.2.4 and it failed, step back, i did it in stages, no problem. But to be very honest, it's easy to do this in localhost, but still i am a little bit scaried to do this in the server, the upgrade to 3.1 is easy as you have to press the continue button many times until the upgrade is complete, but with 3.2... maybe the installer will show some timeout messages, sometimes i simply refresh the page but i don't know if this is safe, is very fast with phpbbcli.php but without access to the ssh server... not cool.
One of the advantages of doing it on localhost is that, once the update/grade is completed and works, all you need to do is to upload the files and import the updated database (careful: localhost config file should not overwrite online config.php + in the config_table some field values are different in the localhost version ( fields pertaining to servername, domain, cookies, database version, script path, and 1 or 2 others), so these have to be updated before putting the board online again.
elc79

Post by elc79 »

warmweer wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:07 pm
elc79 wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:00 pm
One of the advantages of doing it on localhost is that, once the update/grade is completed and works, all you need to do is to upload the files and import the updated database (careful: localhost config file should not overwrite online config.php + in the config_table some field values are different in the localhost version ( fields pertaining to servername, domain, cookies, database version, script path, and 1 or 2 others), so these have to be updated before putting the board online again.
Good point, i didn't remember, i can split the database in smaller files to skip the timeouts. Can you give a tip to update config_table?
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

elc79 wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:15 pm
Can you give a tip to update config_table?
Short on time now, but it's relatively simple
Just have a look at all the fields in that table, there a six or 7 which are important. It should be possible to write a SQL to extract data fromthose specific fields so that it can be restored easily.

I've always done it manually, it's maybe 5 minutes work.
I'll have a look this evening and post the fields (with an example).
EA117

Post by EA117 »

elc79 wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:03 pm
I think maybe i did a mistake as i runned STK in phpBB 3.0.8 and probably i had to run it with the last 3.0 subversion available, 3.0.14. Anyway, i said yes to every question, i don't remember the questions but if there's one calling to reset the bots, i answered yes.
Performed further investigation in order to provide more actionable details for the https://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-15909 report. (Which by happenstance, at almost the same time I was updating the details, was deemed duplicate of another existing report.)

It appears you are correct, and starting with 3.0.8 would have been key to how you would have encountered this issue. Neither a default 3.0.14 install nor a "3.0.14 install with the bots list reset back to default by the STK database cleaner" have a bot name that the v310/bot_update.php migration module will be interested in deleting.

But a default 3.0.8 install has at minimum the "Nutch/CVS [Bot]" registered, which the v310/bot_update.php migration module does intend to remove. And running the STK database cleanup and electing to "reset the bots list to default" does not remove this bot; presumably because it is part of the default bot list for the 3.0.8 board (as opposed to 3.0.14).

The issue can be duplicated with simply presence of this bot name within an otherwise default configuration; i.e. nothing unique or non-default about the authentication providers needed to exist in order to encounter this issue. The v310/bot_update.php migration module within an otherwise 3.2.x installation set will apparently encounter this problem for 100% of the bots he intends to delete. The only thing avoiding this issue is that the bot name(s) already don't exist if/when the v310/bot_update.php migration module runs.

So just FYI as to why "it's not an issue everyone upgrading from 3.0.x is hitting", and that your earlier hunch was indeed correct.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

EA117 wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:49 pm
Not quoting anything but a word of thanks for your research and clear reporting which entices me to have a look at the couple of boards that I still have (in pre-upgraded stage or in broken upgrade stage). 1 of those boards just refuses to upgrade properly and even though it reached 3.2.4 "succesfully" (starting from a broken 3.2.0-dev), it had hidden errors. (and it was a board "cleaned" using the STK).
With a bit of luck, cleaning the bots may just solve the problems (keeping fingers crossed) (work for tomorrow).
3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
EA117

Post by EA117 »

3Di wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:22 pm
This to reset 3.2.x Bots.
Good info to have in context here. Not withstanding that the issue here, when it affects someone, is blocking them from actually getting to 3.2.x; as opposed to needing to reset the 3.2.x list after the fact.

Looking over the default_bots_32.php code, it does make me wonder whether it would leave the 3.2.x system open to any aspect of https://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-15716, which is what introduced the "it's no longer safe for the v310/bot_update.php migration module to call user_delete() when upgrading to 3.2.x" issue. Not that I knew anything about that relationship before the bug was marked duplicate today.

Meaning the default_bots_32.php script is definitely updating the bots table and the corresponding user table entries. But for any bots removed and not replaced, the abandoned oauth table entries were said to cause an exception if and when that same user ever attempts to login again. The future login attempt was going to "fail" no matter what, because the user account is now deleted; but the exception was not expected or intended.

Seems like its probably not a big deal, since any bots that were removed are ostensibly obsolete and not attempting to login any more. And even if it did, it's just the bot login that will encounter the exception. So maybe just a minor impact to the error log, if even that.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”