Forum or subforum with limited permissions to admin and global moderators

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Zanzazaar

Re: Forum or subforum with limited permissions to admin and global moderators

Post by Zanzazaar »

warmweer wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:15 pm Can you use the mask, please - that way you can see where the permissions come from. (tracing)
masks.jpg
Screenshots that I posted are from the mask for the forum moderative permissions for global mods... Global moderative permissions allow to edit posts because in all other forums I want to give tham that ability.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Zanzazaar wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:25 pm Screenshots that I posted are from the mask for the forum moderative permissions for global mods... Global moderative permissions allow to edit posts because in all other forums I want to give tham that ability.
Sorry, I uploaded the wrong screenshot. See the new one and use the tracing to see why the permissions you set don't result in the permissions you intended.
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
Zanzazaar

Post by Zanzazaar »

warmweer wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:38 pm
Zanzazaar wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:25 pm Screenshots that I posted are from the mask for the forum moderative permissions for global mods... Global moderative permissions allow to edit posts because in all other forums I want to give tham that ability.
Sorry, I uploaded the wrong screenshot. See the new one and use the tracing to see why the permissions you set don't result in the permissions you intended.

Everything is set to never. User in group id 8 should have no options for editing other user's posts, but still have.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Zanzazaar wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:42 pm Everything is set to never. User in group id 8 should have no options for editing other user's posts, but still have.
Which is why I'm requesting a trace!
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Zanzazaar

Post by Zanzazaar »

Ok I get it now, I have never seen this option before because is user based (I dont like changing user permission, only groups)

How the hell Yes overwrite never?
Last edited by Zanzazaar on Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Zanzazaar wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:03 pm What trace? I've done the same place as you.
No you haven't! That's not a trace. Your printscreen shows that the permission is NEVER, but your posts state that the user/group/forum you are showing has the permission YES, so clearly you are not using a trace which results in YES.

Zanzazaar

Post by Zanzazaar »

warmweer wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:29 pm
Zanzazaar wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:03 pm What trace? I've done the same place as you.
No you haven't! That's not a trace. Your printscreen shows that the permission is NEVER, but your posts state that the user/group/forum you are showing has the permission YES, so clearly you are not using a trace which results in YES.
Sorry as I say, I dont like user permissions (setting them by permission roles for choosen groups is more clear). In my earlier post I put correct screenshots but I can understand how "Yes" overwrite "Never".
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

Global Moderators can always moderate every forum they can see. Is that what your question is?
There is no way to remove Global moderator permissions from one forum, that is by definition.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Brf wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:47 pm Global Moderators can always moderate every forum they can see. Is that what your question is?
There is no way to remove Global moderator permissions from one forum, that is by definition.
hmm? I didn't even realise that, blindly taking for granted that the YES,NO, NEVER system would be globally functional .
It is a bit illogical that Admins can be restricted that way, but Global Moderators not.
Shouldn't the group forum permissions be made unavailable then for Global Moderators? or (the way I would prefer it) stick to the YES/NO/NEVER system so that Global permissions can be altered for a specific forum?

BTW, apologies to Zanzazaar - I hadn't traced the Global Moderator permissions (I have now) and didn't notice that behaviour.
I am used to setting up Moderators/Forum Moderators/ or special Usergroups for cases like the one you described. (I have only used the Global Moderator group once - with someone I would have trusted as Administrator)

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

warmweer wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:12 pm
It is a bit illogical that Admins can be restricted that way, but Global Moderators not.
Not really, since Administrators have no moderator permissions to begin with.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

Shouldn't the group forum permissions be made unavailable then for Global Moderators? or (the way I would prefer it) stick to the YES/NO/NEVER
I am not sure what you are asking. Admin permissions do not apply to forums. They are mostly for the Admin control panel, not for forums at all.

Global Moderator permissions are "global" by definition. Group Forum permissions are completely separate from global moderator permissions.

If you want to restrict a moderator by Forum, then he should be given Forum Moderator permissions, not Global Moderator ones.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

One way to deal with this is to remove everyone from the Global moderators group (which is, after all, "GLOBAL") and make the forum moderators of every forum, changing permissions as desired on a forum-by-forum basis.

EDIT - As Brf said.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Brf wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:20 pm
Shouldn't the group forum permissions be made unavailable then for Global Moderators? or (the way I would prefer it) stick to the YES/NO/NEVER
I am not sure what you are asking. Admin permissions do not apply to forums. They are mostly for the Admin control panel, not for forums at all.

Global Moderator permissions are "global" by definition. Group Forum permissions are completely separate from global moderator permissions.

If you want to restrict a moderator by Forum, then he should be given Forum Moderator permissions, not Global Moderator ones.
I understand that but I wasn't really asking anything. I just find it strange that in this case, the YES, NO, NEVER system, due to its presence, is confusing.
I've used countless configurations and I normally test each configuration before going online but had I used the permission system with a Global Moderator, I probably wouldn't have noticed the inconsistency (I use the word as a the result of now finding out that the board wide (synonymous with global) permissions system isn't completely global).

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

There are a few inconsistencies, where a Yes overrides a Never, or a No overrides a Yes....
These are the ones I always remember:

A "Yes" in Global Moderator permissions overrides a "Never" in Forum Moderator permissions.
Can Download or Can Upload must be set to Yes in both User and Forum permissions.
Founders have all Admin permissions regardless of Admin Permissions settings.
Zanzazaar

Post by Zanzazaar »

Exceptions are only a problem... Due to that global mods are useless, I need to remove part of their permissions and set them on every forum without two or three places..

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”