Can't ad my Google+ to profile

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
AmigoJack

Re: Can't ad my Google+ to profile

Post by AmigoJack »

Jesper Møller wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:32 pm
Æ Ø Å and other special letters are alphanumerics
No. In programming terms "alpha" means latin letters A thru Z without exceptions, and "numeric" arabic numbers 0 thru 9, also without exceptions. No diacritics, no non-latins... essentially the letters you find in ASCII. Otherwise one could argue that Hebrew, Cyrillic, Greek, plus Roman numbers and whatnot would also be alphanumeric.
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████
Affin wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:51 am
The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly.
We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this.

Jesper Møller
Name: Jesper G.O. Møller

Post by Jesper Møller »

All other feilds in phpBB accepts those letters. But not all the fields in the profile ?
I can use my name in the name field but nut in the G+ facbook and some other feilds
æ ø å is part of ASCII (and is utf8 standard)

æ = 145 / æ
Æ = 146 / Æ
ø = 155 / ø
Ø = 157 / Ø
å = 134 / å
Å = 143 / ø
"Education is learning what you didn't even know you didn't know!"

"True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing."

canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Post by canonknipser »

There are probably some other people in the (g+) world with the name "Jesper Møller", which one should phpBB link to?

The standard for profile fields is using a unique id, which is in case of g+ this 24-character string, for email it is you world wide unique email address and so on.

Maybe those fields in the profile are missing a proper description on the profile page itself and in the official user guide
Jesper Møller wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:39 pm
æ ø å is part of ASCII
That is a common mistake - ASCII is only a 7 -bit code with the characters from codepoint x'00' to x'7f' (decimal 0 to 127), see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASCII
The upper half (x'7f' to x'ff', 128 to 255) differ for the code pages, most common for Europe in the pre-UTF-8-era are ISO 8859-1 (include danish characters) to 8859-16-> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO/IEC_8859
Greetings, Frank
phpbb.de support team member
English is not my native language - no support via PM or mail
New arrival - Extensions and scripts for phpBB

Jesper Møller

Post by Jesper Møller »

thanks for yor answer canonknipser
canonknipser wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:20 pm
There are probably some other people in the (g+) world with the name "Jesper Møller", which one should phpBB link to?
the username in Google+ is unike so there shud not be anny other with that name many a Peter Møller bot the username is unike
canonknipser wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:20 pm
Maybe those fields in the profile are missing a proper description on the profile page itself and in the official user guide
there you ave a point. the user guide says to use username
YAHOO MESSENGER: Your username associated with the Yahoo Messenger service.
JABBER ADDRESS: Your username associated with the Jabber service.
FACEBOOK: Your unique username/page name associated with the Facebook service.
TWITTER: Your username associated with the Twitter service.
its not only the G+ field that won't accept æ ø å its all the personal settings for Facebook twitter Skype etc.that requires username

there are many danish user with æ ø å in there names and i also think swedish/norwegian users will have problem with there user names in those fields
other fields in phpBB Accepts letters like æ ø å ... why not those ???
i will call this a bug

canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Post by canonknipser »

Jesper Møller wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:59 pm
i will call this a bug
So, feel free and file a bug report at the tracker to make the developers aware of this issue. But I'm afraid that that there will be no fix for the google+-field because google+ will be out of service soon.
Greetings, Frank
phpbb.de support team member
English is not my native language - no support via PM or mail
New arrival - Extensions and scripts for phpBB

EA117

Post by EA117 »

Jesper, with regard to you or anyone else wanting to adjust your phpBB board so that this profile field accepts both local and international user names:

If you go into the ACP, Users and Groups, Custom Profile Fields, and from there edit the current "phpbb_googleplus" profile field settings. Down at the bottom of the settings page (further down, below even the "Save" button) there is a "Profile type-specific options" button. Here you can actually change the validation that is being requested for the Google+ type field. Switching from the current "Alphanumeric only" to "Any letters, numbers and underscores" should be the equivalent to the current setting but "international-friendly".

(The regular expression used for evaluation switches to [\p{Lu}\p{Ll}0-9_]+. "Alphanumeric" is indeed just A-Z, a-z and 0-9 plus underscores as described. But the "any character" expression permits matching any Unicode character in the category "letter". "Letter" as opposed to symbols, marks, etc. And so this includes "letters" used in languages other than those that could be represented with alphanumeric.)

Yes, based on what Google+ documentation shows, the regular expression set by default for field validation on this profile field is too restrictive, and/or was only correct during some earlier feature level of the service. The phpBB profile field handling allows entry of either your Google+ account ID number (numeric only), or of your Google+ custom profile URL (which is when phpBB's Google+ string type prefixes "+" on the non-numeric-only data you entered). But the Google+ custom URL is allowed to contain characters that phpBB isn't going to let you enter under the default field validation.

The same may or may not be true for the other fields which have an entry validation set by default. It will depend on knowing the specifics of each individual service, and how they handle usernames, user IDs, and international characters.

For example with Facebook, originally Facebook does handle it the way phpBB is expecting. For example your name might be "Jesper Møller", but the Facebook account name and page are https://www.facebook.com/jesper.moller.927 which is what is needed for & passes the phpBB default profile field validation. But Facebook also has user pages (or more specifically, now they do) in the form of facebook.com/people/Jesper-Møller/1278139731. i.e. Real name, but with additional identifying disambiguation number. Which phpBB isn't supporting and wouldn't be allowing the needed character entry for.

Jesper Møller

Post by Jesper Møller »

canonknipser wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:29 pm
So, feel free and file a bug report at the tracker to make the developers aware of this issue. But I'm afraid that that there will be no fix for the google+-field because google+ will be out of service soon.
I have now don that lets see what the future brings ;)

Jesper Møller

Post by Jesper Møller »

EA117
thanks for you good long reply/explanation ill read it carefully and try to se if i can find out to fix it /use yor solution

EA117

Post by EA117 »

Jesper Møller wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:30 am
thanks for you good long reply/explanation ill read it carefully and try to se if i can find out to fix it /use yor solution
This is the only paragraph with steps required for the fix. The rest was just explanation and also discussion of other profile fields that might have issue besides Google+:
EA117 wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:58 pm
If you go into the ACP, Users and Groups, Custom Profile Fields, and from there edit the current "phpbb_googleplus" profile field settings. Down at the bottom of the settings page (further down, below even the "Save" button) there is a "Profile type-specific options" button. Here you can actually change the validation that is being requested for the Google+ type field. Switching from the current "Alphanumeric only" to "Any letters, numbers and underscores" should be the equivalent to the current setting but "international-friendly".
Also a screen grab of the configuration steps I'm attempting to explain, in case that helps:

google.png

Jesper Møller

Post by Jesper Møller »

thanks EA117

Great contrib. very useful

warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Jesper Møller wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:22 pm
thanks EA117

Yeah, EA117 hasn't been a member for that long (according to his profile) but his posts are always clear and very informative - and from his posts I've deducted that he can analyse phpBBcode quite well (example, the update bug).
We should embrace problems, without which there wouldn't be any solutions.

Jesper Møller

Post by Jesper Møller »

warmweer wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:34 pm
Jesper Møller wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:22 pm
thanks EA117

Yeah, EA117 hasn't been a member for that long (according to his profile) but his posts are always clear and very informative - and from his posts I've deducted that he can analyse phpBBcode quite well (example, the update bug).
I agree
special clear for a non native english speaking person.
very clear and useful

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”