Trying to copy a PHPBB from one hosting company to another

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: Trying to copy a PHPBB from one hosting company to another

Post by stevemaury »

You would install a phpBB installation named mydomain.com by creating a folder with that name and putting the phpBB files in it and installing.

But of you have no phpBB installation, try just going to localhost/Bigdump (not, case-sensitive).
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
doughs

Post by doughs »

When I go to localhost/bigdump it is saying connection refused. When I go to localhost:8080/bigdump it is saying file not found.

So let me just review where I am at:

1) My forum is uploaded to the MYSQL server of my hosting company, but people here say the forum will not work because the SQL version of the web site is 7.1.

2) I have the MYSQL database referenced above exported from the MYSQL server and available on my local machine.

3) I have installed USBwebserver on a flash drive. The documentation for this program is almost non-existent.

4) I have the bigdump.php and localhost.sql files (the latter of which is the export from my old hosting company) on my local machine same as yesterday before they were processed.

5) My forum is no more available online than it was 6 weeks ago.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury »

If your current phpBB version is 3.0.12 and your php version is 7.1 and cannot be downgraded via cPanel, you will need to upgrade phpBB to version 3.2.5, following the directions here - https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... /upgrade3/
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

doughs wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:57 pm When I go to localhost/bigdump it is saying connection refused. When I go to localhost:8080/bigdump it is saying file not found.

So let me just review where I am at:

1) My forum is uploaded to the MYSQL server of my hosting company, but people here say the forum will not work because the SQL version of the web site is 7.1.
2) I have the MYSQL database referenced above exported from the MYSQL server and available on my local machine.
3) I have installed USBwebserver on a flash drive. The documentation for this program is almost non-existent.
4) I have the bigdump.php and localhost.sql files (the latter of which is the export from my old hosting company) on my local machine same as yesterday before they were processed.
5) My forum is no more available online than it was 6 weeks ago.
http://localhost:8080/Bigdump/bigdump.php
  1. I think the php version is 7.1, not the MySQL version.
    phpBB3.0 won't work on php 7.1 but after upgrading your 3.0 to 3.2.5 on localhost (meaning on your PC using USBWebserver) , you can export the database, and import in a database with your online host. However you need the USBWebserver to verify that the 3.0 works
    AND should something go wrong, it's much easier to help you solve it on localhost, instead of online.
  2. You have to import it into a local database (as you did a couple of posts ago in an online database).
  3. Flash drive is OK as I said before, as long as there is sufficient working space.
    The documentation which is there is sufficient. USBWebserver comes preinstalled. Trust me on this, you don't want to start using Wamp or DevServer at your current knowledge level (installation would even be difficult)
  4. Edit the bigdump.php so that the empty database you made (on localhost) will be used to import the data (from the file: localhost.sql)
    PS you should rename that localhost.sql to something meaningful like download_host.sql (to avoid confusion with any other localhost.sql you may have). The term "localhost" is commonly used as your base url on your PC (kind of a local domainname)
  5. Of course not, because you probably do not yet have your database filled, nor have the directory for your forum with the phpBB files in there, and your config.php probably isn't edited yet, and in the database: edit the config_table, field: script_path so that it reflects the location of your index.php
    If you followed my "instructions", it should be forum/
Once that is all done your forum should be available in http://localhost:8080/forum/index.php
doughs wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:20 pm Is anyone online? Can anyone help?

Take into account that we are all volunteers here and probably live in different timezones and have a part of our life which is not phpBB-related. (Like I was not home, just arrived back now and on my way to a horizontal resting place.
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

you need to start over.

create a folder named usbweb on your computer.

unzip the usbwebserver zip file you have on the flash drive into that new folder.

inside you will see usbwebserver.exe

make a shortcut to that file and put it on your desktop.

you need a copy of phpbb 3.2.5 you get that from here.

unzip it and copy the phpBB3 folder to the folder in usbweb named root

now, click on the usbwebserver.exe shortcut on your desktop, a small window will pop up.
choose phpmyadmin. once it is open create a new database.
once that is done and you have a database name, database username/password for that database,
now, click on the usbwebserver shortcut on your desktop. this time choose localhost.
from that page choose phpBB3

run the install using the database info for the new database you just created.

once you get a working basic phpbb board it is time to import your database backup sql file into the new database.

if your backup is very large then you may need to use that bigdump.

be sure to follow the instructions for editing the bigdump.php file with the database info of the new database you just created in phpmyadmin.

once that is done it is time to ugrade the database.

you now go to localhost/phpBB3/install
then choose update tab
then choose update
then choose update database only.

that should be it. just let it run until it is successful.

then, you can replace everything on the actual server with the new upgraded board.

come b ack if you need help with that.

Ok, I see there are some other similar instructions before my post. I am going to leave it here just in case one of us missed something.

also, I don't think you need to worry about the :8080 part unless you are running some other web server that is using 80
that means that all you have to do is use localhost and not localhost:8080

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:54 pm ***similar instructions as in the previous posts***
I agree with Lumpy that starting by setting up a new board into which the old database would be imported is probably easier (and less work), but at this stage I would go for a 3.0.12 and not 3.2.5, just a ascertain that the 3.0.12 is functional.

Also: with USBwebserver port 8080 has to be specified.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

warmweer wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:32 am
Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:54 pm ***similar instructions as in the previous posts***
I agree with Lumpy that starting by setting up a new board into which the old database would be imported is probably easier (and less work), but at this stage I would go for a 3.0.12 and not 3.2.5, just a ascertain that the 3.0.12 is functional.

Also: with USBwebserver port 8080 has to be specified.
hi, not to go off topic, but, it is not required to use 8080
I use usbwebserver every day and have for a long time. I have never used it . the only time I have seen where it is needed is if you have something else running that is using 80.
for instance, if you are running wamp and usbwebserver both, they can't both use 80 or 8080 so you have to choose one for each.

also, I don't use either one usually, I am currently running uwamp and usbwebserver. I have one set to use localhost and the other set to use 127.0.0.1

they both work at the same time with no problems.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:31 pm hi, not to go off topic, but, it is not required to use 8080
I use usbwebserver every day and have for a long time. I have never used it . the only time I have seen where it is needed is if you have something else running that is using 80.
[OFFTOPIC]localhost or 127.0.0.1 doesn't make any difference. But if I don't specify port 8080 it doesn't work (not on my previous PC, not on my home PC, not on my home laptop, not on the PC I'm currently on, not on the laptop I use here).

If it works without the :8080 so much the better, but if it doesn't the solution is simple: use localhost the way it's specified in the USB Webserver info.
Wamp is different: there's a conflict with Skype, (also ISS on Windows 10) and with the new Skype: only solvable by forcing Apache to listen to another port (not 80).
[/OFFTOPIC]

mythago

Post by mythago »

Is it always necessary to run the install upgrade (on the database) after importing a new database?
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury »

mythago, please start your own topic if you have an issue. But, yes, if the database is an older version than the files.
doughs

Post by doughs »

Hi everyone. Thanks for your help.

The hosting company has downgraded my PHP from 7.1 to 5.6. Can you remind me how that will simplify this?

I have the PHPBB3 files from my 3.0.12 version uploaded to the website in the directory http://mysite.com/phpBB3

The hosting company told me all I needed to do was upload my config.php to the root directory of my site and their software would do the rest. But nothing is doing anything.

This is what is in my config.php:

<?php
// phpBB 3.2.x auto-generated configuration file
// Do not change anything in this file!
$dbms = 'phpbb\\db\\driver\\mysqli';
$dbhost = 'mysql.mysitename.com';
$dbport = '';
$dbname = '<my db name>';
$dbuser = '<my PHP user name>';
$dbpasswd = '<my password>';
$table_prefix = 'asfeuucq_';
$phpbb_adm_relative_path = 'adm/';
$acm_type = 'phpbb\\cache\\driver\\file';

@define('PHPBB_INSTALLED', true);
// @define('PHPBB_DISPLAY_LOAD_TIME', true);
@define('PHPBB_ENVIRONMENT', 'production');
// @define('DEBUG_CONTAINER', true);
janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal »

$dbuser = '<my PHP user name>';
That has to be your database user name.
no idea what a php username is??
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!
doughs

Post by doughs »

Yes, that is what it is. The username and password I use to log on using phpmyadmin.
janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal »

PHPBB3 files from my 3.0.12 version uploaded
In phpbb 3.0 the config.php is also in the cache, so empty your cache folder, except the index.html and the htaccess
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!
doughs

Post by doughs »

OK, I just did that and now for the first time, I've got something when I go to my domain name. A PHPBB3 screen is coming up, but it is not my installed forum. It is a generic PHPBB3 and it is telling me I can install PHPBB3 onto my server. So basically it's asking me for the information in my config.php file. Do I go ahead and enter it now?

I'm just trying to make sure I don't do something to corrupt the MYSQL database that is uploaded.

In the "installation compatibility" screen, it is telling me that mbstring.http_input and output must both be set to pass, and it can't find the config.php file that I just deleted.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”