3.2.2 to 3.2.5 automatic

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
millipede

3.2.2 to 3.2.5 automatic

Post by millipede » Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:33 pm

apparently I've neglected updating the board... shame on me.
Is the automatic updater quite a bit different than it use to be? Seems while putting in server info it used to let you "test" the connection. I don't always know if I have the right info when I start filling that out.
In the past I always used automatic but when I went to 3.2 I think I started that all over manually. I figured automatic would work fine for me this time... but, I did something wrong.
I did like I normally would do in the past... simply use filezilla to upload the install file and then navigate to it... That looked good so far.

outside of a handfull of extensions, the only modification done to my forum is I've messed with the color scheme.
In the past, when you went to update it would show a LOT of files and which ones were added, merged, etc. You could choose to see side by side the changes. There's a bunch of newly added files that I only saw when I clicked the button to hide/show them. And there's just ONE deleted file and ONE modified file. I'd think going from 3.2.2 to 3.2.5 would have more modification than that but, I sure don't know. And I am not able to see the changes side by side for the modified one. I'm sure it's not a big deal...

So far, does all that sound normal?

The problem...
no matter how quickly I hit that update button after that... I get the following.
The installer has detected a timeout, you may try to refresh the page, which may lead to data corruption. We suggest that you either increase your timeout settings or try to use the CLI.
Not sure how something could time out so quickly... tried refreshing which did nothing. Tried going through the process again( a couple times) and just hitting update as soon as I see it. Same message every time.

So, I need to know what I need to do now... but I mentioned all the other stuff because I also need to make sure I was installing correctly in the first place. I uploaded the install file and just went to it. Did I do that part wrong? Has that changed?

Edit: I just found the directions... saw about the vendor folder... forgot that was something to do. Will go upload that and go from there and see what happens next.

janus_zonstraal

Re: 3.2.2 to 3.2.5 automatic

Post by janus_zonstraal » Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:47 pm

What package did you use?

And did you change mysql to mysqli in the config.php?
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!

millipede

Post by millipede » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:13 pm

janus_zonstraal wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:47 pm
What package did you use?

And did you change mysql to mysqli in the config.php?
The automatic update package for 3.2.2 to 3.2.5.

As far as the mysql goes, I sure didn't change anything today... There's nothing in the directions to do so... I'm assuming if something needed to be changed I did so when I went to 3.2.2 back then... Let me know if I need to change something. I'll look in a bit. Currently uploading the vendor file over my wonderful 1.5Mbps connection... slow going. When that's done I planned on retrying the update process.

millipede

Post by millipede » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:42 pm

update... still got the timeout message.
Uploaded the vendor folder and retried. Just checked the config file and it is mysqli from the last time so... what next?

janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:21 pm

Try.
Deleting the installer folder inside the cache folder
Delete io_lock.lock and installer_config.php inside the store folder.
Try the update again.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:23 pm

restore all of your backups you made before starting the update process.

then follow this:
https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... ating-32x/

however, go ahead and delete the folder named store ( make sure you have a backup of it first ).

you should not be using the auto update method at all, the file replacement method is the best and easiest way to update/upgrade phpbb.

if , when you are done, there were any files in the store folder for extensions then you can copy them back to the server.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

millipede

Post by millipede » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:46 pm

I tried what janus suggested first as it sounded quick and easy. No joy there. :(

So, I'll move on to burger's...
I didn't create any backups(silly me) today... but, I don't think anything at all actually updated. Kind of wonder if I just deleted the install folder(or renamed) if the board would simply work as it did before I did anything... and could then make backups. (I really don't have much to worry about for backups as the board is not very active)
you should not be using the auto update method at all, the file replacement method is the best and easiest way to update/upgrade phpbb.
Really? With just a few exceptions, the automatic update has been pretty painless and quick most of the time I've done it... not to mention phpbb itself suggests using it.
From their download page:
This update package supplies the automatic updater, which is capable of updating modified installations. This is the package that most users should download to update their forums. If you have made no changes, you can use the 'Changed Files' package instead.
I can check out the changed files package if you really think it would be easier at this point. That avoids the whole install folder thing right?
Will that method affect the color scheme I'm using? If so I'll have to make sure I backup or copy the lines I've changed as I don't remember off the top of my head which colors I changed and what colors I used. I'm not very organized :(

janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:52 pm

That avoids the whole install folder thing right?
It is the same, but the auto update replace only the new files, the full packages replace all the files, but in both cases you have to run the database update from inside the install folder.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:17 pm

things changed a few versions ago and the auto update has problems as you have seen.

unless they have changed the recommended update method back to the auto, the currently recommende method is the full file replacement.

robert

janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:23 pm

things changed a few versions ago and the auto update has problems as you have seen.
There is nothing wrong with the latest autoupdater I did allready 10 boards without any problem.

millipede

Post by millipede » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:24 pm

So, updating the full package? this???
Updating using the full package is the recommended update method for boards without modifications to core phpBB files.

First, you should make a copy of your existing config.php file; keep it in a safe place! Next, delete all the existing phpBB files, you should leave your files/, images/ and ext/ directories in place, otherwise you will lose your file attachments, uploaded images and get errors due to missing extension files. You can leave alternative styles in place too. With this complete, you can upload the new phpBB files (see New installation for details if necessary). Once complete, copy back your saved config.php, replacing the new one. Another method is to just replace the existing files with the files from the full package - though make sure you do not overwrite your config.php file.

You should now got to /install/app.php/update which will display a warning: No valid update directory was found, please make sure you uploaded the relevant files. Beneath that warning you will see a radio button Update database only, just click Submit. Depending on your previous version this will make a number of database changes. You may receive FAILURES during this procedure. They should not be a cause for concern unless you see an actual ERROR, in which case the script will stop (in this case you should seek help via our forums or bug tracker).
If so, how will this affect the color scheme? I'll have to start that over again correct? And extensions? I'll have to add those over again? Not that it's all that difficult to do. I just want to make sure I don't really mess anything up.

Says to leave files/, images/ and ext/ and the config.php should be saved. which of those contains things like actual forum posts so those don't get lost.

millipede

Post by millipede » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:25 pm

janus_zonstraal wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:23 pm
There is nothing wrong with the latest autoupdater I did allready 10 boards without any problem.
I was used to using that method... but I definitely ran into trouble there.
And thanks for everyone's patience as I talk this out :)

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:31 pm

millipede wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:24 pm
Says to leave files/, images/ and ext/ and the config.php should be saved. which of those contains things like actual forum posts so those don't get lost.
the posts etc. are not in any of the files. they along with your users and all the other data are in the database. that is completely separate from the files.

the "files" folder contains any attachments on the board.
the "images" folder contains any uploaded avatars
the "ext" folder contains any extensions you have installed

the "store" folder contains any database backups you have made from the admin panel, it contains some extension files if an extension requires it,
and, it also contains any update migration type files and a couple of other update files that if not deleted, will make the board think you are trying to use the auto update even when you are not.

robert

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:34 pm

millipede wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:24 pm
As Lumpy has already explained: data is stored in a database.
If the data were stored in the files, then upgrading files (or updating), which implies replacing them, would result in the data being lost. :idea:
The year is 2192. The British Prime Minister visits Brussels to ask for an extension of the Brexit deadline. No one remembers where this tradition originated, but every year it attracts many tourists from all over the world.

millipede

Post by millipede » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:47 pm

combine having 5 kids to watch and a slow connection and, I'm just getting back to this. I don't know what was going on but downloading the full package failed first and when I started it over, it was almost done but was then downloading at 11-15kb/sec rather than the 150+ I might normally see. Oh well.

I just want to double check something...
(Note: take care not to delete any extensions in your /ext folder when uploading the new phpBB3 contents.)
That's what the directions say. Why not have that be a folder you don't upload? Like the files, etc...
How do you upload that folder without deleting your extensions? There doesn't seem to be anything new in the package folder... it's an index.htm file and the the viglink.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”