Please how can I fix this (picture attached)

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
veaktor

Please how can I fix this (picture attached)

Post by veaktor »

I can't upload using my favorite browser, I want the attachment upload to function like the one in upload avatar, thanks as some one attends to me, please forgive if I post this in the wrong section as I am new to phpbb platform.
Attachments
Screenshot_2019-01-01-12-20-48.jpg
Screenshot_2019-01-01-12-28-51.jpg
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Please how can I fix this (picture attached)

Post by Mick »

Hello,

You mention two things:
  1. You can't upload using your favourite browser.
  2. You want to change the way attachments work.
Is that correct?

If so please explain what you mean by (1), why can't you upload using your favourite browser? What happens when you try? Does it work with other browsers? Are there any error messages?

And in (2) you actually want to change the way adding attachments works from default?

It may help if you could please fill out the Support Request Template and post it back here to enable us to assist you better. Make sure to supply a test account so we can test.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
veaktor

Post by veaktor »

Yes I want to change the way attachment works, every other thing is fine, works fine in chrome and Firefox but I want it to be accessible via operamini.
I want it to open with a click just the way It is in the second picture I uploaded.
When ever I try opening it, it will cease to respond,but responds in chrome and Firefox.
I tried using the app I created to open it but it can't, but avatar gallery opens.
I want it to be that way, my users make extensive use of operamini and some has complained of their inability to upload files because it doesn't respond when clicked. Thanks.
Last edited by Mick on Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary quoting.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

In that case I suggest you have a search of the extensions forums and, if you can't find anything useful to you, you can make an extension request.
    " - Harmony Cobel
Mannix_
Name: Matt

Post by Mannix_ »

Uploading attachments in Opera mini works just fine for me
download.png
download.png (5.73 KiB) Viewed 886 times
Did I helped You? Consider a donation.
New version of phpBB has been released? My styles aren't validated for it yet? Check my page for the latest downloads!
EA117

Post by EA117 »

Might not be helpful, but at least for me on Android 7.0 with opera mini 38.0.2254.134507, both the "Add Files" and "Choose File" buttons lead to the exact same Android platform file selection dialog where I can access the entire file system.

So in addition to knowing it's opera mini that shows the problem, you might also need to identify on exactly what platform. Someone with access or knowledge of that platform might have additional suggestions.

Indeed, to do literally what you ask -- changing the choice selection presented by phpBB -- is an extension request, or maybe a custom coding question if you want to try and do it yourself. But it's not clear that's the "only" solution yet, since the problem doesn't appear to be a "fundamental failure if using opera mini" based on the reports being made here.
EA117

Post by EA117 »

EA117 wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:42 am ...you might also need to identify on exactly what platform. Someone with access or knowledge of that platform might have additional suggestions.
Just realized I was only assuming you were having the issue on Android, since one of the screen shots showed Android. But maybe that's just where you found it convenient to take a screen shot, instead of on the platform where you are actually having the problem.

On what platform and version of that platform are you having this issue? e.g. Windows 10, Android 9.0, OS X 10.11, etc.

Which version of Opera Mini are you using on the platform where you see the issue? e.g. 38.0.2254.134507, etc.

Because there are two reports here in this thread already confirming that "the Attach button doesn't hang for me when invoked in Opera Mini." So is that because none of us are trying to do it on the same platform that you are attempting it from? Or is it because you just need to update your version of Opera Mini, since we tested it with the latest version and didn't see an issue?

"Change my phpBB server to work around this issue" is indeed still a potential solution (by asking and waiting for an extension that will do that, or making the changes yourself), but might not be the easiest or quickest solution for you to implement if you simply need to update to a current version of Opera or similar.
veaktor

Post by veaktor »

Pls how can I do the changes by myself?
I want the upload button to be simple and swift in response.
Last edited by Mick on Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Mick wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:05 am In that case I suggest you have a search of the extensions forums and, if you can't find anything useful to you, you can make an extension request.
    " - Harmony Cobel
EA117

Post by EA117 »

veaktor wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:52 am
EA117 wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:33 am "Change my phpBB server to work around this issue" is indeed still a potential solution (by asking and waiting for an extension that will do that, or making the changes yourself), but might not be the easiest or quickest solution for you to implement if you simply need to update to a current version of Opera or similar.
Pls how can I do the changes by myself?
I want the upload button to be simple and swift in response.
My apologies for not being more clear. I'm saying "request and wait for an extension" is an option, versus "make the changes yourself" -- meaning you write the extension, instead of waiting for someone else to do it. That's not a "here, make this one or two line change" kind of suggestion; I'm saying you figure out and make the changes that you're otherwise requesting and waiting for someone else to possibly make.

With that clarification out of the way, please answer the questions that are trying to help you resolve this issue:
EA117 wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:33 am On what platform and version of that platform are you having this issue? e.g. Windows 10, Android 9.0, OS X 10.11, etc.

Which version of Opera Mini are you using on the platform where you see the issue? e.g. 38.0.2254.134507, etc.
If someone knew the specifics of what platform you were seeing this issue occur on, and they were able to duplicate that issue occurring, maybe they could figure out the reason for the hang? Or if we don't see the same issue on the same platform, maybe its an issue that has been resolved in Opera Mini itself? Changing the way phpBB handles file uploads is not necessarily the correct or even easiest solution, depending on what the problem actually is.

The difference you are seeing in the "file upload buttons" is the difference between the "old" phpBB 3.0.x file attachment handling (which has your desired "Choose file" button, for selecting just one file at a time) and the "new" phpBB 3.1.x and later /phpbb/plupload/-based file attachment system ("Add files", which allows selection and concurrent upload of multiple files at the same time).

At some point the use of one system versus the other must have been configurable, because the proSilver template for attachments still contains the needed template for both the new system and the old system. But it appears as though phpBB itself no longer expects use of the plupload-based system to be optional; so "simply disable plupload" is not going to get you the result you want. At least not without creating other new issues.

I do see where plupload's own issue tracker addressed an issue of "the file extension filter is not supported on Android". This fix is not part of the older plupload version currently included in phpBB 3.2.5 and earlier. Could that relate to the issue of why phpBB has an issue invoking the plupload on the platform where you're seeing the problem? Maybe. Maybe not. Either way, there is definitely no way for us to answer that without knowing what platform version and Opera Mini version you're having the issue on.

New additional question: On the platform where you are able to duplicate a problem when invoking the phpBB "Add files" button, what if you visit the https://www.plupload.com/examples/ page from that same platform. Can you invoke the "Add files" button successfully there, without seeing the issue you encounter when invoking "Add files" on phpBB?
veaktor

Post by veaktor »

Thank you so much for being kind enough to answer me, I think I am getting it clearer now, I upgraded to the latest version of phpbb, but the upload button is still the older version, I am interested in plupload stuff, I think that's what I need to enable me upload multiple items at once, how do I activate this plupload, I have downloaded it but I don't know the next step to take, thank you once again.
Last edited by Mick on Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
EA117

Post by EA117 »

veaktor wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:31 am I upgraded to the latest version of phpbb, but the upload button is still the older version, I am interested in plupload stuff, I think that's what I need to enable me upload multiple items at once, how do I activate this plupload, I have downloaded it but I don't know the next step to take
You are already seeing "the new version", because that is what's shown in the screen shot of your first post. The new plupload-based behavior is the "Add files" button, the button "you don't want." It is supposed to be that way, even though it apparently introduces the behavior you don't want. You do not need to "add" plupload behavior; it is already part of phpBB.

Nor do you need to "download plupload". I was suggesting that you go to the https://www.plupload.com/examples/ page to see if the "Add files" button works for you there, from the same device and browser where the "Add files" button on the phpBB site does not work for you. Such a test could perhaps confirm or eliminate whether a later version of plupload might solve the behavior you are encountering.

On what platform and version of that platform are you having this issue? e.g. Windows 10, Android 9.0, OS X 10.11, etc.

veaktor

Post by veaktor »

I am using an app I created for my website, it uploads via other upload option except the attachment upload, if the screenshot I uploaded above is the new one, I'd like to go back to the older version of file upload, the one that uploads multiple items, is there a way I can edit the upload button to suit my need?
Last edited by Mick on Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
veaktor

Post by veaktor »

Screenshot_2019-01-16-20-11-56.jpg
I want it to look like this with maybe a multiple upload
EA117

Post by EA117 »

veaktor wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:07 pm I am using an app I created for my website, it uploads via other upload option except the attachment upload, if the screenshot I uploaded above is the new one, I'd like to go back to the older version of file upload, the one that uploads multiple items, is there a way I can edit the upload button to suit my need?
Ah, then perhaps now I understand. "I am using an app I created for my website" is a different situation than "I want it to be accessible via opera mini" and "my users make extensive use of opera mini." Everyone who tested and reported back in this thread "I don't see any issue attaching files using the Add Files button" was testing against the current Opera Mini version.

If you are not interested in resolving "why does the Add Files button fail with Opera Mini", and simply want to return back to the non-plupload-based attachment support in phpBB, then a phpBB extension request to change phpBB's attachment behavior is what will be needed. Or to create the needed phpBB extension yourself, if you want to spend the time learning how to create phpBB extensions.

Regarding the application you created for your website, if it does actually utilize or have some dependency on Opera Mini, then its still possible that updating to a current version of Opera Mini may resolve this issue with invoking the plupload-based "Add Files". Whether that's applicable to this situation or even possible with your application is something only you will know.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”