Can't load forum - 504 Gateway Time-out

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: Can't load forum - 504 Gateway Time-out

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

thanks, that all looks good. I was wondering if there was something wrong with that file.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
david63

Post by david63 »

My guess is that the host are looking for an upgrade to another package. Ask them if another package would have more resources and then either upgrade ot look for another host.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
dwbrown
Name: Dave Brown

Post by dwbrown »

Not sure why, it's got a very low footfall as a forum.

Hardly a resource sucker I'd have thought with on average of a handful of people visiting every other day.

Can't imagine it would cause a 20GB i386 20Mhz File Server to bat an eyelid, let alone what hosts are running these days !
david63

Post by david63 »

It is a well known ploy by hosts to get you to upgrade - they "tweak" a few settings so that sites have problems and when they upgrade it is just like magic, everything works again.

Have you asked them what the options are to get your board working again?
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
dwbrown

Post by dwbrown »

Latest Reply..... again surprising reply due to the forum having a footfall similar to a well hidden rural library with limited opening hours ! 5-10 visits a day with the last post being made on the 10th of Jan.

Dear Dave

I have referred this case to our engineers and they have advised that we need to move your website to the Ceph storage since your website is using NFS storage which is not suitable for the current server utilized.

Before the process will be initiated, we need to confirm from you that you have backed up the files. The migration will also take time to complete which might take up to 24 hours. We would suggest doing the process by the weekend if it suits you but if you need this ASAP then just inform us.

This advise has been provided by a forum administrator himself which suggests that Shared servers wouldn't be enough for a forum. We need your confirmation before we start the process.

Best regards,

Reynaldo
Fasthosts Customer Support
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

yep, looks like either they don't have a clue what they are doing. or they simply want you to upgrade your service.

I would make backups of everything especially the database(s) and get a new host as soon as you can.

not sure what "Ceph storage since your website is using NFS storage" means at all. what is ceph storage and what is NSF storage? never heard of those two things and I have been doing this stuff for over 20 years.

luck,
robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
dwbrown

Post by dwbrown »

AlfredoRamos
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Alfredo

Post by AlfredoRamos »

dwbrown wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:12 pm
I have referred this case to our engineers and they have advised that we need to move your website to the Ceph storage since your website is using NFS storage which is not suitable for the current server utilized.
:lol:

The filesystem can't cause server timeouts, server configuration can and will, changing to Cepth will make no difference at all if they're using the same configuration to serve files.
dwbrown wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:12 pm Shared servers wouldn't be enough for a forum
See? they're just trying to upgrade your plan or use a VPS/dedicated server.

I would suggest to change hosting provider as soon as possible. I agree with Lumpy, it seems that they don't know what they're doing.
Some of my phpBB extensions:
:chart_with_upwards_trend: SEO Metadata | Image Markdown | :shield: hCaptcha
:trophy: Check out all my validated extensions :trophy:

:penguin: Arch Linux user | Linux Boards :penguin:

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”