Spam spaM SpaM sPAm

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
bubbathegimp

Spam spaM SpaM sPAm

Post by bubbathegimp » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:19 am

About once every few weeks I get a New registered user from India Dot com, Hawking cheap Chinese Metal Detectors.
I finally broke down, and did the *@india dot com thingie in Ban E-Mail address, Which leads me to wonder...
Does anybody maintain a list of known E-Mail spam domains that would be of advantage to go ahead and add to the Banned E-mail doman list??!!

Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: Spam spaM SpaM sPAm

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:36 am

it is basically a waste of time. they will be back with a different email address/domain. they change them at will.

best thing to do is create a good Q&A anti spam question/answer using the built in system in the admin panel.
that way, they won't be able to register at all and you will not have to deal with the spam.

robrert
Last edited by Lumpy Burgertushie on Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

bonelifer
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: William

Post by bonelifer » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:41 am

The question is are you ready to even ban Gmail and other legitimate providers? I ask this as someone who tried going down that route. All of a sudden they switched tact and started using Gmail and other legit providers. At the end of the day they feel like they've won either way as they don't even believe that even a whole 1% of their spam sent out will get out there to be seen.
Knowledge Base | phpBB Board Rules | Search Customisation Database
Please don't contact me via PM or email for phpBB support .

bubbathegimp

Post by bubbathegimp » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:54 am

I understand that there are plenty of free Mail providers such as Gmail. Yahoo, Hotmail etc...
I am wondering about known domains that only serve as Spanners without typical public users??!!...,

Toxyy

Post by Toxyy » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:36 am

bubbathegimp wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:54 am
I am wondering about known domains that only serve as Spanners without typical public users??!!...,
There is some akismet plugin... but as lumpy said above (with a typo), Q&A questions are the best anti bot method out there. Custom, but easy, Q&A questions are better than google's captcha any day. You need a good bit of them to work, I'd say 5+. To be safe I'd make at least 7 or 10 but that's just me.

kinerity
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: Kailey Truscott

Post by kinerity » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:52 am

Toxyy wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:36 am
I'd say 5+. To be safe I'd make at least 7 or 10 but that's just me.
Please don't do this. If you start getting spam you have no way of telling which question was compromised. One is enough.
Kailey Truscott - Community Team

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:07 am

bubbathegimp wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:19 am
a list of known E-Mail spam domains
Almost nobody relies on the domain name alone and instead maintains IP addresses - have a read on DNSBL and Comparison of DNS blacklists. phpBB already uses those - check the manual 3.2.3.3, option "Check IP against DNS Blackhole List" to see if you have this enabled.

One of the few true lists of domain names only is https://www.spamhaus.org/dbl/.

I have a list of 2469 regular expressions alone to match domain names providing disposable email addresses (mostly used from this list having 14962 domains refined into a more robust format, along with additional entries). Does that give you an impression on how big a blocklist can get just for a tiny purpose?
Toxyy wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:36 am
Q&A questions
Question and answer questions? You mean Q&A pairs, and I too think it should be only one pair, not multiple ones.

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:55 pm

Not only do you NOT NEED multiple Q&As, it is counter-productive. Your protection is only as good as your weakest question, and as kinerty says, when broken, you have no idea which one or ones are faulty.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

Wirral Talk

Post by Wirral Talk » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:25 pm

ZB Block is very useful and I use it when necessary.

As many others have said a good Q&A works almost perfectly, put a simple twist on a question almost anyone can answer eg "what are the last three characters of the capital of France", using the word "characters" instead of "letters" are all part of the complexity that make it more difficult for bots. Check the question on google just in case there is a stock reply.

John connor
Name: Aaron

Post by John connor » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:34 am

Wirral Talk wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:25 pm
ZB Block is very useful and I use it when necessary.

As many others have said a good Q&A works almost perfectly, put a simple twist on a question almost anyone can answer eg "what are the last three characters of the capital of France", using the word "characters" instead of "letters" are all part of the complexity that make it more difficult for bots. Check the question on google just in case there is a stock reply.
ZBblock is no more. Zap does not maintain it or the website. I used to use it myself. I have now migrated to CIDRAM and have suggested many features that are part of CIDRAM now. CIDRAM can use the Stop Forum Spam database.

Here's a new version of ZBblock that now can understand IPv6. http://zb-block.net/zbf/index.php

Note, not coded by Zap, but by JamesC.

Wirral Talk

Post by Wirral Talk » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:00 am

John connor wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:34 am

ZBblock is no more. Zap does not maintain it or the website.
Wow, I'm two years out of date and find that very sad news, Zap did an amazing service to the whole world.

I don't have zbblock switched on as the Chinese bot's keep my non-system-phpbb-cron running very nicely overnight. Some of my non-phpbb sites still have old copies running, I never needed to update as all the junk seemed to be kept at bay.

Bermudez
Name: Juan Antonio

Post by Bermudez » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:34 am

Stop Forum Spam extension is also very useful and effective.

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:13 pm

Without a link to the OP's board, it is very difficult to make any recommendations.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

Jayson
Name: Jayson

Post by Jayson » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:57 am

A lot of spammers tend to use temporary email addresses. I would search for services that offer temporary email addresses and block their entire domain. People who use these are not likely to be actual contributors; just throwaway account users.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”