[SOLVED] How to disable reCaptcha?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Cobra45

[SOLVED] How to disable reCaptcha?

Post by Cobra45 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:37 am

Hello, we have a situation.

ReCaptcha is required for login. ReCaptcha V1 is shutdown. How to login? :roll:
I searched in the database for captcha and recaptcha but only tabs for them are public and priv keys. How to disable it or how to update it without the board access?

Thanks
Last edited by Cobra45 on Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: How to disable reCaptcha?

Post by KevC » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:42 am

Cobra45 wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:37 am
ReCaptcha is required for login.
Do you mean you've got your password wrong enough times that recaptcha is now triggered and requires solving for you to log in with your admin account?
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:43 am

Cobra45 wrote:
How to disable it or how to update it without the board access?
Disable it via phpMyAdmin?
IIRC config_table field : captcha_plugin: empty that and see what gives (just store the value somewhere in case it doesn't work).

edit
: corrected a spelling mistake : doens't != doesn't
Last edited by warmweer on Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
My board's not broken, it just went peculiar

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:47 am

KevC wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:42 am
Cobra45 wrote:
ReCaptcha is required for login.
Do you mean you've got your password wrong enough times that recaptcha is now triggered and requires solving for you to log in with your admin account?
In that case
phpMyAdmin: users_table: field : login_attempts (or something like that) and set that to 0

edit: probably user_login_attempts (IIRC all fields in that table start with user_)
Last edited by warmweer on Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
My board's not broken, it just went peculiar

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:49 am

Yeah the other option is to make the emergency admin account.

In phpMyAdmin, run the following, which will create an admin user named Admin1 with a password of admin. From that point you should be able to get into the ACP.

Code: Select all

INSERT INTO phpbb_users (user_type, group_id, username, username_clean, user_regdate, user_password, user_email, user_lang, user_style, user_rank, user_colour, user_posts, user_permissions, user_ip, user_birthday, user_lastpage, user_last_confirm_key, user_post_sortby_type, user_post_sortby_dir, user_topic_sortby_type, user_topic_sortby_dir, user_avatar, user_sig, user_sig_bbcode_uid, user_jabber, user_actkey, user_newpasswd) VALUES (3, 5, 'Admin1', 'admin1', 0, '21232f297a57a5a743894a0e4a801fc3', 'admin@example.com', 'en', 1, 1, 'AA0000', 1, '', '', '', '', '', 't', 'a', 't', 'd', '', '', '', '', '', '');
Change your table prefix if it is not phpbb_

See Executing SQL Queries in phpMyAdmin if you are unfamiliar with running database queries.

As soon as you have done this, use the temporary admin account to change the details on the original admin account, then delete the temporary account.
This is because:
  1. anyone could use that account to log in to your board if you didn't change the password.
  2. this temporary user has not been fully set up (e.g. it is not a member of the "Registered users" group, so it won't have normal access to your forums).
To remove the account you will first need to remove ???founder??? status from it: ACP > USERS AND GROUPS tab > Manage Users > Admin1 > Overview > Founder = No
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

Cobra45

Post by Cobra45 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:58 am

KevC wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:42 am
It looks like. But the password is correct (stored in Firefox). "You exceeded the maximum allowed number of login attempts. In addition to your username and password you now also have to solve the CAPTCHA below."

OK, so I have my database backed up and now I'm going to disable the captcha with posted suggestions.

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:07 am

Cobra45 wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:58 am
But the password is correct (stored in Firefox)
That statement may not be true. You have a password stored in Firefox (not a good idea) and you have a password stored on the phpBB database - the two are not necessarily the same. You may have changed the password since it was stored or you may have updated FF and something is not working correctly.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

Cobra45

Post by Cobra45 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:21 am

It's working again after set the login_attempts tab from 2 to 0. I wouldn't even think about it.
And the stored password matches too.

Thanks a lot for your help :)

EA117

Re: [SOLVED] How to disable reCaptcha?

Post by EA117 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:03 pm

For what it's worth, at least back in April 2018 when we turned off v1 usage while we prepared to finally move off phpBB 3.0.x, the "shutdown" v1 ReCAPTCHA could still be "solved" by doing "exactly what you normally do."

Meaning normally, you entered the characters that were being shown in the v1 ReCAPTCHA image. Well, after shutdown, what he v1 ReCAPTCHA was showing was the text "V1 SHUTDOWN ON 2018-03-31".

Enter the text "V1 SHUTDOWN ON 2018-03-31" as the answer to the v1 ReCAPTCHA, and it would let you in as having correctly solved the v1 ReCAPTCHA.

Just in case that were to help anyone else get past a short-term hurdle of logging in while v1 is still enabled.

Edit January 27th, 2019: The shutdown message has since changed to "reCAPTCHA V1 IS SHUTDOWN", and the reCAPTCHA does not accept that text or the earlier "V1 SHUTDOWN ON 2018-03-31" text as the solution to the challenge.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”