Suddenly not getting notification emails

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
jefmcg

Suddenly not getting notification emails

Post by jefmcg »

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.2.5
What is your board's URL? http://Cyclingrelated.uk
Who do you host your board with? Dathorn (I have a hosting account)
How did you install your board? I used a tool provided by my host
What is the most recent action performed on your board? Update from a previous version of phpBB3
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? Yes
Do you have any MODs installed? No
Do you have any extensions installed? Yes
What version of phpBB3 did you update from? phpBB 3.2.4
What extensions do you have installed? auto image resize server side, auto draft, exif image rotation, external links open in new window, large font, hide bots, post love, recent topics, relative dates, s9e mediaembed, simple mentions, simple spoiler
What styles do you currently have installed? prosilver, flat style, metrolike, pro ubunto, latte,,,, revolutionprosilver, flat style, metrolike, pro ubunto, latte,,,, revolution
What language(s) is your board currently using? English
Which database type/version are you using? MariaDB
What is your level of experience? New to phpBB but not PHP
What username can be used to view this issue? No answer givenI can set this up if needed.
What password can be used to view this issue? No answer given
What actions did you take (updating your board; installing a MOD, style or extension; etc.) prior to this problem becoming noticeable? I changed permissions several times, all via the "Forums permission" page.

(I updated from 3.2.4 subsequent to this problem occurring)
Please describe your problem. I'm no longer getting emails for my notifications. I used the email test on the ACP, and received that email, but it's the only one I've received since changing permissions. I still see notifications when I log in, and in the UCP email is checked for all those types of notifications.
Generated by SRT Generator
david63

Re: Suddenly not getting notification emails

Post by david63 »

jefmcg wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:46 am
This may be part, or all of the problem. You should try replacing your files with those downloaded from this site.

With the "one click" install/updates we have no way of knowing what changes have been made to those files which means when there is a problem we are working blind.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored
EA117

Post by EA117 »

jefmcg wrote:
What actions did you take (updating your board; installing a MOD, style or extension; etc.) prior to this problem becoming noticeable? I changed permissions several times, all via the "Forums permission" page.

(I updated from 3.2.4 subsequent to this problem occurring)
Please describe your problem. I'm no longer getting emails for my notifications. I used the email test on the ACP, and received that email, but it's the only one I've received since changing permissions. I still see notifications when I log in, and in the UCP email is checked for all those types of notifications.
The permissions change isn't bringing anything obvious relation to mind, for me anyway. So we should probably take a look at how your email is currently configured, by you showing us a screen shot of what the ACP -> General -> Client Communication -> Email Settings page currently looks like. We would need to know your board's DNS name too, but you already provided that.

The approach described in "Knowledge Base - EMAIL - Easy setup (NOT SMTP)" is frequently promoted as being the less problematic configuration to have, because it works out that way for many installations and hosting services. If you do need to keep using your existing email provider and/or must use an external SMTP server for your mail service for your board, its definitely possible to be successful without implementing the described approach, too. So don't feel like there is necessarily "only one answer."

Finally, although indeed its "unknown" what may have been done by the one-click installation provided by your hosting service that was trying to make it easier to get phpBB up and running, it's not that "there is definitely a problem" because that was used. It's just an unknown factor that doesn't exist in cases where you downloaded and used the original phpBB installation sources available here on phpbb.com. Everyone here is volunteering their time, and knowing a correct unmodified installation source was used is what makes the most effective use of that time.

But plenty of installations are using their one-click installations and running correctly, and chances are you're probably in that group too. And/or at least when it comes to this specific issue you're trying to solve now. If "push comes to shove" later and expected solutions aren't working, the fact that an "unknown" installation source had been used certainly deserves to remain "on the table" as a possible reason.
jefmcg

Post by jefmcg »

david63 wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:54 am
jefmcg wrote:
This may be part, or all of the problem. You should try replacing your files with those downloaded from this site.

With the "one click" install/updates we have no way of knowing what changes have been made to those files which means when there is a problem we are working blind.
Thanks. I downloaded it and "diff -r" the directories. They are the same (minus .htaccess, config.php and attachment.html which I have all reflect the changes I have made locally, and of course many files that are only in public_html).
EA117 wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:03 pm
The permissions change isn't bringing anything obvious relation to mind, for me anyway. So we should probably take a look at how your email is currently configured, by you showing us a screen shot of what the ACP -> General -> Client Communication -> Email Settings page currently looks like. We would need to know your board's DNS name too, but you already provided that.
I wouldn't expect the permissions change to affect anything, either, but I think that was the only change made.
Capture.PNG
I'm not using SMTP, but as I said, the test email comes through fine. I'm just not getting notifications.

Thanks for the help so far.

Edit: I'm sure it's something I have changed without realising it.
EA117

Post by EA117 »

jefmcg wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:44 pm
I'm not using SMTP, but as I said, the test email comes through fine. I'm just not getting notifications.
Understood. "Email Settings" is the entire page; not just specifically the "SMTP Settings" portion of that page. (Though of course now we just need to see the remaining top portion.) Aside from looking for anything which just is unexpectedly unique, the primary thing (for me anyway) is just confirming whether the sending email address has an obvious relation to the hosting account or not.

Meaning, whether the email address is, or is not, for the same domain as the site itself; implying that the hosting provider is also your email provider. It's still is up to how the hosting provider wants to configure their sendmail process and/or SMTP server; but many if not most of them are "strict" about not letting "arbitrary foreign email addresses" from sending through their systems, in order to not be too agreeable to senders of spam.

Setting the "email package size" value to zero instead of the default 20 supposedly addressed this kind of symptom for another user. Not sure I consider that a "likely" solution, but something you can quickly enough rule out by setting it to zero and testing. If it's not already set that way.
jefmcg

Post by jefmcg »

Thanks again.

I tried setting package size to zero. No change.

Attached is the rest of the email settings.

I could try setting up SMTP, but if the test emails work, I can't imagine that would solve anything.
Attachments
Screenshot_20190108-223439.png
Screenshot_20190108-223433.png
jefmcg

Post by jefmcg »

Thank You!

It's fixed.

I must not have hit submit after changing package size. It was still 20. Changed it to zero and the emails poured in.

Thanks both for your help and patience.
jefmcg wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:04 pm

I tried setting package size to zero. No change.

EA117

Post by EA117 »

jefmcg wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:34 am
I must not have hit submit after changing package size. It was still 20. Changed it to zero and the emails poured in.
Neat. Definitely something to that then, and glad that it worked. I recall briefly looking into what exactly the "package size" limit really changed about the processing internally, but couldn't come away with a definitive answer.

So I can't explain why it makes a difference in your case, but great that your fix is "that simple." 😃

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”