Search function (numbers)

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
david63
Name: David Wood

Re: Search function (numbers)

Post by david63 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:01 pm

stevemaury wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:42 pm
So what does the user need to do to implement that file? Where does it go? What indexes will it work with? Any other changes required?
The file does not need to go anywhere - it is already in the core download. What a user would need to do is install Sphinx on their server - not sure what happens after that.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

panhead

Post by panhead » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:16 am

Thanks for all the replies. As Sphinx is one of the four offered search options, it wouldn't do any harm to try it?

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:49 pm

You would have to install Sphinx on the host, which if you have shared serving, you probably can't do.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:36 pm

Well, here's a solution, but it will increase search index size. In the ACP, Search settings, change "Min characters indexed by search from the default 3, to 2. Then delete and re-create the phpBB Native fulltext index. You can now find the part number even with a hyphen between the digits.

Depending on how often particular numbers appear, you may have to change the common word threshold setting, or disable it. That will also require re-indexing.

EDIT - Note that the search will find all occurrences in which both the two numbers appear, like 63526 other stuff 50. But this still should work as the non-relevant results are easily spotted.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-01-13 at 9.33.35 AM.jpg
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

panhead

Post by panhead » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:01 pm

Yes, that is working! Thank you very much!

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”