feature requests Favicon

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Jesper Møller
Name: Jesper G.O. Møller

feature requests Favicon

Post by Jesper Møller »

It would be nice if in the feature there would be an option to set af favicon to a forum without having to hardcode overall header :!:
"Education is learning what you didn't even know you didn't know!"

"True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing."
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: feature requests Favicon

Post by Mick »

You don't have to edit anything in overall header for a favicon. Also, support isn't the place for feature requests.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
</Solidjeuh>
Name: Andy Dm

Post by </Solidjeuh> »

Just install my BoardMagic ext: https://github.com/Solidjeuh/BoardMagic
viewtopic.php?f=456&t=2492766&p=15135071#p15135071

Place the code in:
solidjeuh/boardmagic/styles/all/template/event/overall_header_stylesheets_after.html
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

Or just put proper .ico file in the board's root. The browser will know what to do with it.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
EA117

Post by EA117 »

Agreed on not really a support question. And that to get basic legacy favicon.ico behavior support, no editing is needed and simply placing favicon.ico in the root of the site is something that most browsers will eventually fall back to checking.

If you do want to support more platforms and/or provide richer data to those platforms that support it, then yes you'll need some meta links in the HTML document header.

BoardMagic is great thing for exposing technical options, but as a response to "it should be easier to add favicon data without having to edit overall_header.html", I'm not sure "install an extension and then edit a different event template file" is answering that call for "making it easier." 😉

Didn't phpBB have something like this many moons ago? A section in the ACP where you could paste additional header or footer HTML, independent and outside of any selected style? Maybe I'm remembering some other application.

Anyway, if you do want to make a post over in phpBB Ideas, maybe something along those lines would be helpful. For allowing someone to inject a bit of meta info and/or maybe even some JavaScript helpers for their defined BBCodes, which will be included regardless of which style they have selected and without having to edit.

Or maybe someone knows of some other existing proposal that encompasses this we should vote on instead.
janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal »

If you do want to support more platforms and/or provide richer data to those platforms that support it, then yes you'll need some meta links in the HTML document header.
Can you give a link for more info about that?
I just put all the favicons in the root and it works.
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!
</Solidjeuh>
Name: Andy Dm

Post by </Solidjeuh> »

EA117 wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:52 pm no editing is needed and simply placing favicon.ico in the root of the site is something that most browsers will eventually fall back to checking.
Not completely.. If you want a good "favicon" for all browsers and systems you better use code in a template. Like this one: https://realfavicongenerator.net/
janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal »

If you put the favicons in the root you don't need any code.
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!
EA117

Post by EA117 »

</Solidjeuh> wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:01 pm Not completely.. If you want a good "favicon" for all browsers and systems you better use code in a template. Like this one: https://realfavicongenerator.net/
Agreed. Hence the very next sentence I wrote.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”