Rule of thumb for extension and styles expirations?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
DV1

Rule of thumb for extension and styles expirations?

Post by DV1 »

When I look through extensions, themes, and such, many have "last updated" dates going back years. For example, the "Wrap text around an image" extension shows August 2012 as the last update.

When considering any of these are the dates relevant or is it that if they are still provided that for some reason or another are configured where the basic phpBB structure is not affected and thus no new version(update) is necessary?

Thanks
david63

Re: Rule of thumb for extension and styles expirations?

Post by david63 »

DV1 wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:57 pm For example, the "Wrap text around an image" extension shows August 2012 as the last update.
A link please.

phpBB 3.1 was only released in October 2014 so there cannot be any extensions with a date of 2012
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
DV1

Post by DV1 »

Thank you for responding.

This is the link for the "wrap". It's BB code so maybe that's why the 2012 date?

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/bbco ... ext_image/

Going on what you've said re year date, then is something that's dated as 2014 still viable since it's shown for use?
david63

Post by david63 »

DV1 wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:24 pm Going on what you've said re year date, then is something that's dated as 2014 still viable since it's shown for use?
Depends on what it is. If it is a style then it will not work with the latest version. Many extensions of that date will work with the latest version. Not sure about bbCodes as there was a major change for phpBB 3.2 - some (many?) may not work.
David

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin »

I can confirm that BBCode works with 3.2.5 https://phpbb.hifikabin.me.uk/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=24
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

And you can always try them yourself (especially Custom BBCodes) if they don't work they can be removed with no harm done.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
DV1

Post by DV1 »

Thank you all for the responses. :)

I guess in a way I was trying to find out why some extensions are dated yet were still presented for use. That in turn led me to think why something 'cosmetic' like a style had less of a shelf life.
david63

Post by david63 »

DV1 wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:13 pm That in turn led me to think why something 'cosmetic' like a style had less of a shelf life.
It is a bit of an anomaly in that styles change for several reasons with each version and one of them is that new events are added so that new extensions will work. Obviously there are bug fixes and new features added.

You have to remember that many core files change with each update whereas unless there is a core change that affects an extension (and there are very few of those) then that extension will keep on working. You might say well why not update the extension version whenever phpBB updates its version? The problem there is that the extension developer would have to submit it to the CDB again and it would have to go through the validation process again (due to the fact that some changes may have been applied) and that takes time and resources.
David

HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin »

You could of course always ask the author. The majority (but not all) active extension writers will keep their extensions current whenever possible.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

HiFiKabin wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:33 pm You could of course always ask the author. The majority (but not all) active extension writers will keep their extensions current whenever possible.
and the same is true of style authors. many of them are updated/upgraded with each version update as well but it make take some time.

of course, neither style nor extension authors are required to update their projects.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
DV1

Post by DV1 »

david63, thank you for the explanation.

Depending on the style and how much it alters away from prosilver and phpBB core construction then I can see why styles would have to be updated.

I guess a simple analogy is that style authors are like tailors. They have to adjust for the growth of the php "body". :D
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

DV1 wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:24 pmGoing on what you've said re year date, then is something that's dated as 2014 still viable since it's shown for use?
Not necessarily, generally (not etched in stone) style versions must match the phpBB version, many (most?) 3.1 extensions will work with 3.2, and, if you're not sure, ask the author. Custom BBCodes are a different matter but if they work they work, if not there are support forums for approved BBCodes like this one :D
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”