High bandwidth usage

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
ngaia

High bandwidth usage

Post by ngaia » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:05 pm

Since last 2/3 months my bandwidth usage increase month by month, buy my visitor and my content are almost the same.

I dont allow video or more than 20k picture in my forum but my last month bandwidth was around 150gb, my visitor was around 60k. i try to optimize my board as i could, but it doesnt help, my hosting sent me notification of high usange again, they are saying i used 10gb in one day.

Can any one help me to check my website. What could could cause this kind of problem?

I have teamviewer if necessary.
Thank you.

david63
Name: David Wood

Re: High bandwidth usage

Post by david63 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:35 pm

Check your server access logs for spam bot attacks - there have been a few over the last few months
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

ngaia

Post by ngaia » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:46 pm

david63 wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:35 pm
Check your server access logs for spam bot attacks - there have been a few over the last few months
thank you, i will inform to my host

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:53 pm

Do you have gzip enabled? That will increase CPU usage but decrease bandwidth. In the ACP on the general tab click server settings link found on the lower left.

Most hosting plans will include Awstats which can give you some detailed log analysis, see if it's available. One thing it will list is bandwidth by IP, you'll probably find a few IP's listed at the top that are are not from residential ISP's. These would be bots and there is very little you can do within phpBB to address this. They need to be blocked before they request a page and that is not something easy to accomplish because the IP's will change.

meetdilip

Post by meetdilip » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:40 am

If it is bots, Cloudflare might help. But Cloudflare can cause its own issues related to caching and others.

ngaia

Post by ngaia » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:44 pm

my host still thing, it's my traffic, they ask me to move to VPS but i refuse it, because my traffic didnt need half of my resources. I will move to other host.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”