Password constantly needing reset

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Scottish2

Password constantly needing reset

Post by Scottish2 »

Hi

OK why is my admin account constantly forcing me to reset my password??? It's like every day or every other day I have to request a new password. I know it has't been hacked as I am using those butt long passwords that get sent out the ones with like a gazillion characters so I can almost say with certainty that it has not changed and I am the only admin so I know it isn't being changed by other users.

Is there a setting that forces the reset unless I change the setting??
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: Password constantly needing reset

Post by stevemaury »

ACP, User registration settings, Force password change , 0
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
Scottish2

Post by Scottish2 »

stevemaury wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:09 pm ACP, User registration settings, Force password change , 0
I have it set to 0 but like this morning I went to log in and it kept telling me my password was wrong despite it being the most recent password that I have in my password vault. And I know it was working fine for the last day or so then today it said to reset it as it was wrong. It's been doing this almost since day one where after a day or so it forces me to have to request a new password.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury »

Please fill out the Support Request Template and post it back here to enable us to assist you better.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
Scottish2

Post by Scottish2 »

Here is what you requested. I think the DB is right I checked in PHPMYADMIN and that is the DB that was listed in there. This is with my ADMIN account unsure if other users are experiencing this as no one has reported it to me but then the forums still new so very quiet at the moment so.....

On extensions I listed the extensions that are enabled and disabled. The disabled I was never able to figure out HA HA

I also do not THINK I have any mods installed just extensions which I listed.

I'll be out for awhile so will respond later.

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.2.5
What is your board's URL? https://www.dirtydozen2-0.com/phpbb
Who do you host your board with? https://www.namecheap.com/
How did you install your board? I used the download package from phpBB.com
What is the most recent action performed on your board? Fresh Install
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? Yes
Do you have any MODs installed? No
Do you have any extensions installed? Yes
What extensions do you have installed? Enabled Extensions
mChat 2.1.2
Notify Admin on Registration 1.0.1
phpBB Media Embed PlugIn 1.0.2
VigLink 1.0.4

Disabled Extensions
phpBB Camo SSL Image Proxy Extension
What styles do you currently have installed? Black-Silver-Slim
What language(s) is your board currently using? English
Which database type/version are you using? MariaDB
What is your level of experience? New to PHP and phpBB
What username can be used to view this issue? No answer given
What password can be used to view this issue? No answer given
What actions did you take (updating your board; installing a MOD, style or extension; etc.) prior to this problem becoming noticeable? It's pretty much been forcing me to reset my password since pretty much day one before most these extensions were even added
Please describe your problem. Since pretty much when I installed PHPBB it has been forcing me to reset my ADMIN password every 36-48 hours. I do not think I have been hacked as some of the passwords were long and complicated. Being they were stored in my password vault I know they were correct with no typos as it logged me in the first time and on each reset with the vault being updated with the new password
Generated by SRT Generator
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

What is the EXACT wording of what you're seeing?

Your password being wrong and asking you specifically to reset it because it has expired are two entirely different things.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
Scottish2

Post by Scottish2 »

I'll post it the next time it comes up so is the exact wording but along the lines that the password is wrong. I know it isn't wrong being it's in my password vault so being it worked the first time it should not be coming up saying it's wrong otherwise the first time I used the first or new password it too would have been wrong.

I'll post the exact text though the next time it happens typically ever 1-2 days.
Scottish2

Post by Scottish2 »

Hi

OK I finally got the error again it's telling me the following error when this happens
You have specified an incorrect password. Please check your password and try again. If you continue to have problems please contact the Board Administrator.
I know my password is correct as I was able to log in just fine using it and was stored in my password vault so makes no sense why the forum is always telling me it's wrong.

Thoughts on why it keeps forgetting my password?
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury »

When you request a new password, the idea is that you should change it after you use it to login. I am not sure, but it is possible, therefore, that the "temporary" password expires. So try changing the password in the UCP and see what happens.

BTW, the length of the new sent password is determined by the setting for Maximum password characters in User registration settings, which by default is 100. Shorten that to, say 10 or 15 and they will not longer be buttlong.
Scottish2

Post by Scottish2 »

OK will try that in little bit having a headache with a stupid page I am working on is driving me nuts HA HA got to love coding sometimes and other times :twisted: :? :shock: :o :x :x :x
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Are you using any integrated login or registration? Just wondering if something is not syncing correctly.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
Scottish2

Post by Scottish2 »

KevC wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:10 am Are you using any integrated login or registration? Just wondering if something is not syncing correctly.
Using the one that came with the install package nothing special. PHPBB is stand alone set of pages not integrated with the website like a site wide type log in type scenario would be.

Steve could be right though just have not had chance to mess with the forum as we're expecting a huge release today and tomorrow well maybe not huge but huge for me HA HA so been focusing on that. But he did mention that it might be the password being temp might just have expired. which could have been the case as I did not realize it was a temp password being how long it is!

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”