Notify Admin on Registration: Difference between phpBB’s built-in option and extension solution?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Peeagepeebeebee

Notify Admin on Registration: Difference between phpBB’s built-in option and extension solution?

Post by Peeagepeebeebee »

I've asked the following question already here, but didn't receive a response in that hidden corner of this board, so sorry for the duplicate:

I did install the Notify Admin on Registration extension, but then saw in my UCP (User Control Panel) as Admin, that there is the email notification option for "User requiring activation" (also without the extension installed). See this image:

Can someone explain where the difference between phpBB’s obviously built-in email notification and that extension is?

A_Jelly_Doughnut
Former Team Member

Re: Notify Admin on Registration: Difference between phpBB’s built-in option and extension solution?

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

The extension sends a notification, but the account is immediately usable by the user.
The built-in sends a notification, and requires the admin to activate the account before it can be used by the user.
A Donut's Blog
"Bach's Prelude (Cello Suite No. 1) is driving Indiana country roads in Autumn" - Ann Kish
Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: Notify Admin on Registration: Difference between phpBB’s built-in option and extension solution?

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

if you choose by email for registration then they get an email and the admin does not unless you have that extension installed.

if you choose 'by admin" for registration then they get an email and you get an email to activate the account as jelly said.

do you have a specific reason why you want people to wait for admin activation before they can be registered?

if not, then just set registration to 'by user" and visit your board at least once a day to see if there are any new members etc.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
Peeagepeebeebee

Recap:
  • Notify Admin on Registration notifies the Admin on a new registration, regardless whether an account approval/activation by the Admin is required or not.
  • phpBB’s built-in notification system notifies the Admin ONLY IF an account approval is required.
That’s correct?

I need to actually approve every single account, because it is a closed community (35 owners of a housing complex), to which strangers must not have access too.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Correct.

One way to do this, would be to set up Q&A antispam to only accept a random code that you send to the other people on the complex.

That way only the people who know the code can register.

Or, use the add user extension to make the accounts for them and then send them the login info.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

Also, Extension support topics are not "hidden corners" but sometimes you have to wait more than 16 hours for a response. People work, sleep, eat, etc.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
Peeagepeebeebee

Agreed. But the previous topic in that Extension support forum hasn't seen an answer in nearly 4 months either, so I thought I try here ... which despite creating a duplicate, was the correct decision. :-* :)

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”