Reset permissions

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Jesper Møller
Name: Jesper G.O. Møller

Reset permissions

Post by Jesper Møller » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:45 pm

is there a way to reset all permissions for groupes and users (and forums) to the install default ??

Aka start from scratch setting permissions
"Education is learning what you didn't even know you didn't know!"

"True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing."

warmweer

Re: Reset permissions

Post by warmweer » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:54 am

Jesper Møller wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:45 pm
is there a way to reset all permissions for groupes and users (and forums) to the install default ??

Aka start from scratch setting permissions
Make a new board and copy the permission settings for the default groups (if you changed those); if you didn't change anything to the roles, this is a one almost a 1-click procedure per group. And for every new group you made, by default the starting permissions setting = NO.
A bug is a feature that hasn't made it to the manual (yet)

Jesper Møller
Name: Jesper G.O. Møller

Post by Jesper Møller » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:42 am

Thanks
a reset funktion would be nice
"Education is learning what you didn't even know you didn't know!"

"True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing."

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:06 pm

By default, all User permissions are No and all Group Forum permissions are No, except for "Your first forum" and "Your first category" (which, for some reason, most people delete). Group permission defaults are per the respective Roles.

Hard to reset the Forum permissions, because those are created by the creator of the forum and there is no way to know what those are.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

david63
Jr. Extension Validator
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:19 pm

stevemaury wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:06 pm
Hard to reset the Forum permissions, because those are created by the creator of the forum and there is no way to know what those are.
I suppose that there could be an argument to reset them to the same as "Your First Forum".

One problem though with a permission "reset" function - what do you do about permissions created by extensions? It could be a bit of a pain walking the extension folder/sub folders to find any permissions.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

Scanialady
Name: Annette

Post by Scanialady » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:42 pm

I think you will have to solve this manually.

If I wanted to reset all my board permissions, I would do this (as a founder Administrator):

Manage groups - remove all users from all groups except "registered user" (may be you want to keep the groups, than ignore this)
Remove all personal permissions (user names shown in the left side of manage windows)
Open all groups roles - set "all to NO" - save.
Open all forum roles - set "all to NO" - save.

Open all roles again - re-configure the settings
Regroup users

Check admin users and moderator users: which roles are assigned for user role, moderator role, admin role? -> reconfig, or regroup. You often don't need to assign a user role specific to user names - work with your groups and assign the roles to the groups! Than you can simply move users to groups.
Webseite, Blog, Wiki Deutsche Übersetzungen - german language files
My 2 cents: Whether an extension is in the CDB says nothing about its quality. It is more important to read the support topics for it. Better to avoid authors who do not answer support questions themselves, who do not update their stuff, and who do not fix bugs for years.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”