"Remove all MOD-related changes from the database."

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Glarg

"Remove all MOD-related changes from the database."

Post by Glarg » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:10 am

I'm taking over and upgrading a 3.0.14 board to 3.2.5. Following https://download.phpbb.com/pub/document ... tation.pdf, I'm told to first "Remove all MOD-related changes from the database". However, I can't figure out what a "MOD-related change" is, nor how to identify them, nor how to remove one from the database. The next sentence says "The Support Toolkit's Database Cleaner can be used for this.". When I tried that, I got nothing but a blank page. What am I missing?

warmweer

Re: "Remove all MOD-related changes from the database."

Post by warmweer » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:33 am

Glarg wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:10 am
I'm taking over and upgrading a 3.0.14 board to 3.2.5. Following https://download.phpbb.com/pub/document ... tation.pdf, I'm told to first "Remove all MOD-related changes from the database". However, I can't figure out what a "MOD-related change" is, nor how to identify them, nor how to remove one from the database. The next sentence says "The Support Toolkit's Database Cleaner can be used for this.". When I tried that, I got nothing but a blank page. What am I missing?
If the 3.0.14 board is running then a simple way (but not exhaustive) to check the presence of modifications is to compare the fileset you are using with a new downloaded 3.0.14 fileset.

There could however be database modifications from previous mods which may not be identified in that way and a database structure compare can be used to identify modifications in a simple way.

Install a new 3.0.14 board using the same table prefix (as your old 3.0.14 board), and export the database structure. Similarly export the database structure of your old 3.0.14 database. Then do a file compare of both.

Then there the possibility of missing data and that's where the STK is very useful.
You mention getting a blank page. Can you elaborate on that? Do you mean that no errors were found, or that you get a truly empty page with no text at all?
A bug is a feature that hasn't made it to the manual (yet)

Glarg

Post by Glarg » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:02 am

By "getting a blank page", I mean that for Firefox, I get a literal blank page - absolutely nothing is returned. When I use Chrome, however, I get a 500 error.

Are there any stand-alone tools for accomplishing this?

Glarg

Post by Glarg » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:16 am

Here's what I see in /var/log/apache2/error.logs

Code: Select all

[Mon Feb 11 03:13:53.998042 2019] [:error] [pid 8817] [client 1.2.3.4:57158] PHP Parse error:  syntax error, unexpected 'new' (T_NEW) in /var/www/forum.foobar.com/oldforum/includes/captcha/plugins/phpbb_captcha_qa_plugin.php on line 104, referer: https://forum.foobar.com/oldforum/stk/index.php?c=support&sid=5f054f8e00c80c809ac4e9a91c505572

EA117

Post by EA117 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:27 am

One thing that comes to mind for "making the STK fail" is that it's designed for the same older versions of PHP that 3.0.x itself was designed to run on. So if you've restored a 3.0.x database on a server that is otherwise about to run 3.2.x and PHP 7.x, you might need to back down to PHP 5.6 long enough for using the STK to clean up the database.

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:20 am

EA117 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:27 am
One thing that comes to mind for "making the STK fail" is that it's designed for the same older versions of PHP that 3.0.x itself was designed to run on. So if you've restored a 3.0.x database on a server that is otherwise about to run 3.2.x and PHP 7.x, you might need to back down to PHP 5.6 long enough for using the STK to clean up the database.
Well, 3.0.14 would have to be tested (that it is functional) before upgrading anyway so that should already exclude php7+ being used.

Glarg

Post by Glarg » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:20 am

EA117 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:27 am
That did the trick! The overall task wound up diverging slightly from the official documentation at https://download.phpbb.com/pub/document ... tation.pdf. I'll post a full writeup in a couple days.

Does anyone know of some way to automate checking for mods and then determining which tables should be dropped? Or maybe a roadmap or suggestions for creating such a script?

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:12 am

Glarg wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:20 am
Does anyone know of some way to automate checking for mods and then determining which tables should be dropped? Or maybe a roadmap or suggestions for creating such a script?
If it's only the tables you're worrying about then identifying extra tables is very simple by doing a visual compare of a clean board with the board being tested, although a couple of extra tables may be completely legit (q&a for example).

Problems with mods usually arise with extra (or deleted) fields or changed field definitions.
These can be identified by making a database backup - without data (only structure) and comparing that to a fresh database, using a filecompare software.

More serious problems can come with deleted data (e.g. removing default groups), not having British English installed, or prosilver being absent.
There nothing wrong about mods but it's the responsibility of the admin to keep notes on what was changed, so that they can be reapplied (if necessary) after updating.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:07 pm

and, that is what the database cleaner in the support toolkit is for. it finds and removes all tables, columns etc. that are not standard for the respective version of phpbb and removes them.

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”