Activating new users – via ACP only?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Peeagepeebeebee

Activating new users – via ACP only?

Post by Peeagepeebeebee » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:38 pm

I'm a phpBB newbie and the founder/admin if my message board. I get notified in the standard forum view about new user registrations which are waiting for activation/approval.

Stupid question: Where can I active those new registrations? ACP only (I know exactly where and how), or also in my regular forum view as Admin? I neither see a direct option there nor in the MCP (Moderator Control Panel) shown to me as Admin. Wrong settings or is it just activation via ACP only?

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Activating new users – via ACP only?

Post by KevC » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:43 pm

It's only in the admin panel

If you have admin activation on it's best to set the email notification to arrive as then you get a link in that email to click which logs you in and turns on the account.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

Peeagepeebeebee

Post by Peeagepeebeebee » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:53 pm

Had „email notification to Admin on new registrations“ already on, but was confused as the following profile view (which you get when clicking the board’s inline notification on the Admin user’s regular forum page) somewhat implies an account activation by clicking on "Los". (It leaves the impression that "Los" (Go) adds the newly registered user "The Tester to the group "Registrierte Benutzer" (Registered user). See red pointer.
Bildschirmfoto 2019-02-10 um 17.46.44.png
But good to know that the second lower link in the notification email to the Admin directly activates the account... Something you not necessarily want to happen, prior to checking some registration details.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:01 pm

That's just a user profile page that's not actually in the admin panel.
Peeagepeebeebee wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:53 pm
But good to know that the second lower link in the notification email to the Admin directly activates the account.
The links are under text that says
Use this link to view the user's profile:

Use this link to activate the account:

So you can click the first one to check the email/IP if you want and if it all checks out you just click the second link.
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

Peeagepeebeebee

Post by Peeagepeebeebee » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:06 pm

... which doesn't exactly imply that clicking the link leads to INSTANT activation. One would think that it opens the ACP, from which you can review the registration and then activate there. Use this link to INSTANTLY activate the account: would leave no questions/doubts/surprises.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:21 pm

The first link is for checking. It says so.

If you think the wording is ambiguous you can report it in the bug tracker but I don't think it's changed since phpBB2 and you're the first I can remember that's mentioned it being misleading.
http://tracker.phpbb.com/
Cheap UK Hosting

Peeagepeebeebee

Post by Peeagepeebeebee » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:31 pm

Might do. When I do UI/UX design, I always try to pick the words so the meaning/effect is entirely clear and unambiguous – while trying to keep the sentence as short as possible of course.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:25 am

actually, that message is exact. if you click it you activate the user.
if it was going to take you to a page so you can look at the registration info it would say something like, I don't know,
Use this link to view the user's profile: ;)

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

Peeagepeebeebee

Post by Peeagepeebeebee » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:03 am

In german we say „Wer lesen kann, ist klar im Vorteil“ (Them who reads, clearly has an advantage). Unfortunately, in these busy times, one often doesn't read everything in detail, but only cross-reads ... at best.

Hello,

The account owned by "Dumb Bob" has been deactivated or newly created, you
should check the details of this user (if required) and handle it
appropriately.

Use this link to view the user's profile:
http://clowns.springfield.com/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=59

http://clowns.springfield.com/ucp.php?mode=activate&u=59&k=6X19C8HE

--
Best regards
Sideshow Bob
Administrator Springfield Clownery Academy

Point is is a) that the actual notification message is a bit longer than just those two lines and that b) your argument requires the Admin/Mod to CAREFULLY read the message and compare the description of both links. The problem herein is that view does not imply that it leads to profile view which also allows activation, especially due to the fact the the following link clearly does say/imply activate (but then again fails to say that it happens instantly on clicking the link).

Changing the wording to Use this link to INSTANTLY activate the account: or even less ambiguous: Click this link to INSTANTLY activate the account: would leave much less questions.

The problem with these discussions is always the perspective/background knowledge: You – having joined phpBB 14 years ago – know exactly what’s behind these links. I, who have been using it since barely 3 weeks, learned it now. Anyone who’s new to phpBB administration might/will also have to learn it through trial and error first. But: There are so many things to learn, so many trials and errors to make, when it comes to phpBB administration, every single detail which makes things less ambiguous is worth the improvement effort IMO.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”