User admin always displays the same user no matter who I put in

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
thetgc

User admin always displays the same user no matter who I put in

Post by thetgc »

Had this issue for some time now and I "think" it might be something to do with Google Chrome but thought I would check.

If I go to the admin panel using Chrome I can log in fine and do everything except admin users. No matter what user name I put in it automatically reverts to the same user all the time. So even if I put in my own user name, all the fields will automatically change to the same single user...that's without me clicking submit.

However if I log in through Safari and go to the admin panel it works fine.

So I am assuming this is a Chrome specific issue and not a phpbb one?

I have deleted cookies and history in Chrome but nothing seems to help. Has anyone else come across this before?
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: User admin always displays the same user no matter who I put in

Post by KevC »

It's your browser trying to be helpful.
Check your settings for autofilling on forms.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
EA117

Post by EA117 »

thetgc wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:54 am I have deleted cookies and history in Chrome but nothing seems to help.
Note that when Chrome is actually filling in credential information it thinks you saved & wanted to be filled, it will show a "key" icon up in the address bar which gives you access to the credentials being used on the page you're currently looking at. And a "trash can" icon beside the credentials, if you want to delete those saved credentials so they won't be used in the future. So if Chrome's credential storage is what's filling these in, this gives you one way to resolve a page for which saved credentials shouldn't be used, without having to disable or affect credentials you did want saved for other pages.

keyicon.png
thetgc

Post by thetgc »

Thanks for the answers. I don't think it is the autofill though because I just tested it now and when I put in the user name it is fine but when I click submit it only ever brings up the same user all the time and there is no key icon in the browser bar or menu.

The user details it brings up never change, it is always the same user. As though for some reason it is stored in Chrome somehow but I can't figure out where.
david63

Post by david63 »

thetgc wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:29 pm As though for some reason it is stored in Chrome somehow but I can't figure out where.
Have you done a hard refresh of the browser?
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
EA117

Post by EA117 »

thetgc wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:29 pm Thanks for the answers. I don't think it is the autofill though because I just tested it now and when I put in the user name it is fine but when I click submit it only ever brings up the same user all the time and there is no key icon in the browser bar or menu.
It certainly is unusual, at least to me, since there aren't even multiple "text" fields on that form. Maybe Chrome is being "helpful" in remembering the state of the "Select anonymous user" checkbox, as to why anything would be "filled" in this form at all. Can't say, since I don't know that I've seen it remember a checkbox state before.

But for normal "auto fill" behavior I see in Chrome, the browser is already showing me things it "wants" to fill the field with, even by just putting the input caret into the field, before you begin typing anything. The list just reduces as you begin typing and exclude possibilities based on the characters you have entered. So if the auto-fill was coming from Chrome, I would expect to see some hint of this even before I entered the username I wanted.

When you say "when I click submit", is that also the moment at which you finally take focus away from the username input field? What if you just TAB out after entering the desired username, before ever clicking the submit button. Does the field also fill in what the "fixed user I didn't mean to specify then, simply upon TAB'ing out and not even hitting submit?

But with what you've described thus far, I would probably also begin to suspect it is some extension behavior active in Chrome, and maybe not actually a base Chrome behavior in play.

If you don't see the same username pre-filled when TAB'ing out of the input field, and it's truly only once you hit submit that the wrong information occurs, that would make me begin to suspect something outside of your browser. But that mostly disagrees with the evidence of "using another browser is fine." The kinds of "things outside of your browser" could be Cloudflare-type caching, or similar.
thetgc

Post by thetgc »

It's a really odd thing.

If I put in a user name it is fine BEFORE I click submit. So it doesn't change or try to autofill at that point.

As soon as I click submit and the users admin panel comes up the user name I chose immediately changes to the same user I mentioned before...always the same user and with their email address. However if I then choose any of the options from the drop down at the top right, such as feedback, avatar, signature etc it shows the correct info for the user I originally submitted.

Have done a hard reset, cleared cache, cookies etc but all to no avail.

I would just use Safari but there are things in Chrome which work better for my needs and anyway this shouldn't be happening. Never come across it before.
EA117

Post by EA117 »

thetgc wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:13 pm As soon as I click submit and the users admin panel comes up the user name I chose immediately changes to the same user I mentioned before...always the same user and with their email address. However if I then choose any of the options from the drop down at the top right, such as feedback, avatar, signature etc it shows the correct info for the user I originally submitted.
Wow. Okay, so the page on which you submit the username you want to look at "never looks wrong", and never actually shows any auto-fill hints or data.

It's only ever the actual user administration page which shows you incorrect data. (i.e. The http://mysite.com/adm/index.php?i=users&mode=overview&u=xxxx page.)

But even then, only specifically the "mode=overview" page shows "the wrong user." Selecting one of the other mode/detail pages for the user shows information for the user you actually intended to select. (So phpBB actually does know "the correct user you selected.")

What happens when you select "Overview" again from the drop-down, after having selected one of the user pages and viewing details for the "correct" user? Does "Overview" again return to showing details for the wrong user, or does even "Overview" also show the correct user at that point?

Can you check what user ID is actually in the URL during those observations? (The xxxx in the "u=xxxx" of the URL example I made earlier.)

i.e. When it's showing you the "wrong information" (on the initial "mode=overview" display) and then later the "correct information" (when you select one of the other information pages), is the user ID in the URL remaining the same for both the correct and incorrect displays? Or when you switch to one of the alternate user information pages, does the user ID up in the address bar also change to a different user ID when the "correct data" is then finally displayed?

Just trying to get a feel for whether "it's showing the wrong information even though the URL is correct", versus whether the incorrect URL / actual incorrect user ID is coming up initially too, even though phpBB "knows" which user you actually wanted.

Really can't make a good case for why it would "only be Chrome" with this evidence, though. Hopefully an idea comes to mind based on what you see going on in the URL shown in the address bar during this behavior.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

thetgc wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:29 pmI don't think it is the autofill though.
What happens if you disable autofill and clear browser caches on all offending browsers? Can you post screenshots with autofill enabled and disabled, the actual part where the information is being filled in automatically? Have you contacted Chrome and, if so, what did they say?
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
thetgc

Post by thetgc »

EA117 wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:06 amWhat happens when you select "Overview" again from the drop-down, after having selected one of the user pages and viewing details for the "correct" user? Does "Overview" again return to showing details for the wrong user, or does even "Overview" also show the correct user at that point?
I was concerned I may not have explained it correctly but you got it exactly :)

The user ID remains correct for all instances of the user admin page and as mentioned all the user information is correct except on the overview screen where on switching back from say, the profile section the correct user name appears for a fraction of a second and then it reverts to the same user name as before.

So everything is correct except the user name and the email address. Not sure about the password as of course that is hidden but I am assuming it is the password for the problem user.

So yeah, a REALLY weird problem indeed.

I will be reformatting the hard drive later and installing an older version of the OS. It's a Mid 2010 iMac 27 and can't be upgraded to MacOS Mojave and I think High Sierra is a stretch for it so will be interesting to see if the same issue appears once everything is back up and running again.

Thanks so much for your help by the way. It's great to get some feedback on this and suggestions on things to try.
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

thetgc wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:58 am the correct user name appears for a fraction of a second and then it reverts to the same user name as before.

So everything is correct except the user name and the email address.
Yes. As explained already, that is your browser's autofill, or some other browser plugin you have. It is filling in your username and email for you.
thetgc

Post by thetgc »

Autofill is turned off for everything. Could be a plugin but will check when I have reformatted and reinstalled everything. Start from scratch and see where it leads :)
thetgc

Post by thetgc »

Found out what it was after all this time!

You were all correct about autofill although not Chrome directly. It was my LastPass plugin. For some reason it was autofilling in Chrome but not in Safari. I guess they just work slightly differently in each browser.

Anyway, thanks to you guys for pushing me in the right direction and finally finding out what it was :)

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”