Need some help importing database

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Nachtschade
Name: Marcel

Need some help importing database

Post by Nachtschade » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:06 pm

Hello,

I've had a phpbb forum on a free host for years. The free host is terminating the service. I've rented some webspace with a domain name and installed a new phpbb forum. The free host send me a backup of the old forum.

The backup looks like this:

forumname.zip

In the zip there is 1 file: '205-4660-forumname.sql' which is 213 mb in size and a folder called 'forumname' which contains three subfolders; avatars, images, smilies. The first contains the user avatars, the second some copies of our custom logo, the third is empty. I don't care about any of these.

How to proceed now?

I've gone into www.mynewdomain.nl/phpmyadmin

I've selected the database that should have the new forum i created. Then went to import and selected the zipfile and went 'go'.

Several things happens; sometimes it errors into service unavailable. I try again after that. It has timed out a couple of times and then I resubmitted the same file (assumption is that this happens because the database is large.) Once it finished but with errors:

See screenshot:

I'm not sure if these errors are important or not. It looks like some text from the contents of a very old forum post.

After this I'm unsure what to do. I've tried my forum but it still gives me the newly installed forum with the default test post.

I'm at a loss. Anyone willing to help?

In case it's relevant: the old forum says n/a where it is supposed to say what the board version is.
..vaak rankend of klimmend..

Nachtschade

Re: Need some help importing database

Post by Nachtschade » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:36 pm

As a little addition. I noticed that after importing my database now contains two different tables with posts.

One is called phpbbsj_posts and that one contains the default welcome post after installing a new forum. The other is called phpbb_posts and in that one I can see actual posts from my old forum that are coming from the backup.

I don't know if this is relevant. I feel like what I'm trying to do is restore and older version backup to a newer version of the software.

FlaSerIC

Post by FlaSerIC » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:40 pm

Because of timeouts it seems that your import is corrupted, I think. What size is the zipped (*.sql.gz format?) database you are trying to import? You could try to change a setting in the PHP ini (i.e.upload_max_filesize = 50M). But even after that, if import succeeds I doubt if it will work. An old database will not work in a newer version without converting and updating. In config.php are all settings related to the database.

Nachtschade

Post by Nachtschade » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:43 pm

It's not a .sql.gz format. It's a simple .zip. The size is 18mb zipped.

I'm not sure what you mean by "In config.php are all settings related to the database"?

edit: by the way: those timeouts seem to be normal and expected according to the import function:

AbaddonOrmuz
Name: Alfredo Ramos

Post by AbaddonOrmuz » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:18 pm

Try using a tool to import your database like BigDump or MySQLDumper.

The error in your first image is telling you that you have a syntax error, the query was:

Code: Select all

RT INTO ...
It should be:

INSERT INTO ...
If you have SSH access, you should try something like:

mysql -u user -p < file.sql
Replacing user with your database user.
A proudly user of Arch Linux :: /r/sddm_themes

FlaSerIC

Post by FlaSerIC » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:37 pm

Nachtschade wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:43 pm
I'm not sure what you mean by "In config.php are all settings related to the database"?
Although your first problem is importing, next is probably converting/updating. Take a look at the file config.php and your table prefix-settings. Be sure that you have the right dbname/dbpassword/tableprefix.
18 MB is not that big. I assume that you can view the sql-file? It reads normally? The suggested option for bigdump can work also.

EA117

Post by EA117 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:36 pm

Nachtschade wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:06 pm
In the zip there is 1 file: '205-4660-forumname.sql' which is 213 mb in size and a folder called 'forumname' which contains three subfolders; avatars, images, smilies. The first contains the user avatars, the second some copies of our custom logo, the third is empty. I don't care about any of these.
Before too much time elapses, you might ask your old host whether they can send a backup of the /files/ folder as well. The backup .zip you're describing has a database backup and a backup of the /images/ folder (smilies and avatars are subfolders of /images/), both of which are also needed. But the /files/ folder is where any attachments would have been saved. Without the /files/ folder contents, although the messages will "appear" to still have their attachments (as recorded in the database), trying to actually open those attachments will result in "file not found" conditions.

Figuring out the database restore is still the top priority for getting the new installation working. Just mentioning this in case you need to grab the /files/ backup from the old host before they dispose of any copies they have, even while you're still working on getting the database restored.

Nachtschade

Post by Nachtschade » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:44 pm

Thanks for the responses guys, appreciate it.
AbaddonOrmuz wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:18 pm
Try using a tool to import your database like BigDump or MySQLDumper.

The error in your first image is telling you that you have a syntax error, the query was:

RT INTO ...
It should be:

INSERT INTO ...
If you have SSH access, you should try something like:

mysql -u user -p < file.sql
Replacing user with your database user.
I will try these tools you mentioned.

Do we know what causes such a syntax error?

I'm afraid i'm not sure what the last part means about about SSH. Can you clarify?

FlaSerIC wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:37 pm
Nachtschade wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:43 pm
Although your first problem is importing, next is probably converting/updating. Take a look at the file config.php and your table prefix-settings. Be sure that you have the right dbname/dbpassword/tableprefix.
18 MB is not that big. I assume that you can view the sql-file? It reads normally? The suggested option for bigdump can work also.
This is my config.php:

<?php
// phpBB 3.2.x auto-generated configuration file
// Do not change anything in this file!
$dbms = 'phpbb\\db\\driver\\mysqli';
$dbhost = 'localhost';
$dbport = '';
$dbname = 'marcekn349_php21';
$dbuser = 'marcekn349_php21';
$dbpasswd = xxxxxxxxxxxx
$table_prefix = 'phpbbgs_';
$phpbb_adm_relative_path = 'adm/';
$acm_type = 'phpbb\\cache\\driver\\file';

@define('phpbb_INSTALLED', true);
// @define('phpbb_DISPLAY_LOAD_TIME', true);
@define('phpbb_ENVIRONMENT', 'production');
// @define('DEBUG_CONTAINER', true);
(password replaced with x's)

This is what gets generated when I make a new phpbb forum. I did not do anything with this. Do I perhaps need to replace the value of the variables you mentioned with values from my old forum?

If so, how do I know what to replace it with?

I can view the sql-file though it's problematic. The .zip is indeed 18 MB but once unzipped the sql file is 213 MB. It does load in wordpad. I tried notepad but it's just too big for that to fully load. It keeps on trying for many minutes. It's also very slow to scroll in Wordpad, but at least it does load.

I'm also not sure why this is, I didn't think my forum was that big. It has 73000 posts in 800 topics and 24 users.
EA117 wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:36 pm
Nachtschade wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:06 pm
Before too much time elapses, you might ask your old host whether they can send a backup of the /files/ folder as well. The backup .zip you're describing has a database backup and a backup of the /images/ folder (smilies and avatars are subfolders of /images/), both of which are also needed. But the /files/ folder is where any attachments would have been saved. Without the /files/ folder contents, although the messages will "appear" to still have their attachments (as recorded in the database), trying to actually open those attachments will result in "file not found" conditions.

Figuring out the database restore is still the top priority for getting the new installation working. Just mentioning this in case you need to grab the /files/ backup from the old host before they dispose of any copies they have, even while you're still working on getting the database restored.
Thanks for the advice. I have to ask though; how important is this? What actually do you mean by attachments? Is it simply the files that can be attached to posts on some forums? We couldn't do that at my old forum, I believe. Even if we did, it was never used. So, unless it is needed for the database to be restored into the new forum, it doesn't seem important. Unless, ofcourse 'attachments' mean something else.

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:55 pm

Your config.php file does not access either of the two sets of tables you refer to in your second post. The config.php file is looking for a set of tables with the prefix phpbbgs_ and the two sets of tables in your backup have prefixes pf phpbb_ and phpbbsj_. The question is why? Are you sure there are not three sets of tables?

Your backup file is an .sql file, sent to you as a .zip. It is too big to import without a tool like Bigdump, or SSH (Secure shell access).
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

Nachtschade

Post by Nachtschade » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:00 pm

stevemaury wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:55 pm
Your config.php file does not access either of the two sets of tables you refer to in your second post. The config.php file is looking for a set of tables with the prefix phpbbgs_ and the two sets of tables in your backup have prefixes pf phpbb_ and phpbbsj_. The question is why? Are you sure there are not three sets of tables?

Your backup file is an .sql file, sent to you as a .zip. It is too big to import without a tool like Bigdump, or SSH (Secure shell access).
Whoops, I am sorry for this. I used an older config.php. The current one looks like this:

<?php
$dbhost = 'localhost';
$dbport = '';
$dbname = 'marcekn349_ph544';
$dbuser = 'marcekn349_ph544';
$dbpasswd = xxxxxxxx
$table_prefix = 'phpbbsj_';

@define('PHPBB_INSTALLED', true);
// @define('PHPBB_DISPLAY_LOAD_TIME', true);
@define('PHPBB_ENVIRONMENT', 'production');
Am I correct in assuming I need to replace 'phpbbsj_' with 'phpbb_'?

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:56 pm

If this is true, yes:
The other is called phpbb_posts and in that one I can see actual posts from my old forum that are coming from the backup.

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

Nachtschade

Post by Nachtschade » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:01 pm

stevemaury wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:56 pm
If this is true, yes:
The other is called phpbb_posts and in that one I can see actual posts from my old forum that are coming from the backup.
I tried that, but then the forum doesn't load at all. Is there anything else I would need to change in the config.php and/or do something else after replacing the config.php?

EA117

Post by EA117 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:40 pm

Nachtschade wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:44 pm
What actually do you mean by attachments? Is it simply the files that can be attached to posts on some forums? We couldn't do that at my old forum, I believe. Even if we did, it was never used.
Indeed, we're talking about "files that were attached to posts" in the forums, and also "files that were attached to Private Messages". If you truly did not allow these attachments, or did not ever use this capability, then the /files/ folder likely would have been empty. (Unless perhaps the administrator had manually placed some files there to use in download links, or maybe an extension had placed some files there.)

Certainly your choice as to whether those use cases were valid or likely for the site in question. Just pointing out that "now would be the time" to attempt retrieving it -- given you did already successfully obtain the other backups -- whether the likelihood of needing the /files/ directory is currently known or not. If the backup received had been "a complete site backup" you could always pick these things out later if they become needed; but since only a selective backup was supplied, just pointing out what could potentially be missing.

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:49 pm

Nachtschade wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:01 pm
stevemaury wrote:
If this is true, yes:
I tried that, but then the forum doesn't load at all. Is there anything else I would need to change in the config.php and/or do something else after replacing the config.php?
It appears that you have two, or perhaps three, sets of phpBB tables. You need to open the sql backup in an industrial strength text editor and look at the to see which set is operative.

But you said that the phpbb_posts table was the one that contained your posts, so changing the config.php table prefix to 'phpbb_' should work. Post config.php again with the change you made.

Nachtschade

Post by Nachtschade » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:34 pm

stevemaury wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:49 pm
Nachtschade wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:01 pm
stevemaury wrote:
If this is true, yes:
It appears that you have two, or perhaps three, sets of phpBB tables. You need to open the sql backup in an industrial strength text editor and look at the to see which set is operative.

But you said that the phpbb_posts table was the one that contained your posts, so changing the config.php table prefix to 'phpbb_' should work. Post config.php again with the change you made.
Ok, after changing the config.php it looks like this:

<?php
$dbhost = 'localhost';
$dbport = '';
$dbname = 'marcekn349_ph544';
$dbuser = 'marcekn349_ph544';
$dbpasswd = xxxxx
$table_prefix = 'phpbb_';

@define('PHPBB_INSTALLED', true);
// @define('PHPBB_DISPLAY_LOAD_TIME', true);
@define('PHPBB_ENVIRONMENT', 'production');
Then the error I'm getting after reloading my forum url:

edit: it's true. I checked the database in phpmyadmin and it doesn't exist.

These are the tables in the database:

Filters
Containing the word:
Table Ascending 	Rows 	Type 	Collation 	Size 	Overhead
phpbbsj_acl_groups 	22 	InnoDB 	utf8_bin 	64 KiB 	-
phpbbsj_acl_options 	124 	InnoDB 	utf8_bin 	32 KiB 	-
phpbbsj_acl_roles 	24 	InnoDB 	utf8_bin 	48 KiB 	-
phpbbsj_acl_roles_data 	418 	InnoDB 	utf8_bin 	32 KiB 	-
phpbbsj_acl_users 	1 	InnoDB 	utf8_bin 	64 KiB 	-
phpbbsj_attachments 	0 	InnoDB 	utf8_bin 	96 KiB 	-
phpbbsj_banlist 	0 	InnoDB 	utf8_bin 	80 KiB 	-
phpbbsj_bbcodes 	0 	InnoDB 	utf8_bin 	32 KiB 	-
phpbbsj_bookmarks 	0 	InnoDB 	utf8_bin 	16 KiB 	-
phpbbsj_bots 	45 	InnoDB 	utf8_bin 	32 KiB 	-
phpbbsj_config 	309 	InnoDB 	utf8_bin 	32 KiB 	-
phpbbsj_config_text 	4 	InnoDB 	utf8_bin 	16 KiB 	-
phpbbsj_confirm 	0 	InnoDB 	utf8_bin 	32 KiB 	-
phpbbsj_disallow 	0 	InnoDB 	utf8_bin 	16 KiB 	-
phpbbsj_drafts 	0 	InnoDB 	utf8_bin 	32 KiB 	-
phpbbsj_ext 	1 	InnoDB 	utf8_bin 	16 KiB 	-
phpbbsj_extensions 	55 	InnoDB 	utf8_bin 	16 KiB 	-
phpbbsj_extension_groups 	6 	InnoDB 	utf8_bin 	16 KiB 	-
phpbbsj_forums 	2 	InnoDB 	utf8_bin 	48 KiB 	-
phpbbsj_forums_access 	0 	InnoDB 	utf8_bin 	16 KiB 	-
phpbbsj_forums_track 	0 	InnoDB 	utf8_bin 	16 KiB 	-
phpbbsj_forums_watch 	0 	InnoDB 	utf8_bin 	64 KiB 	-
phpbbsj_groups 	7 	InnoDB 	utf8_bin 	32 KiB 	-
phpbbsj_icons 	10 	InnoDB 	utf8_bin 	32 KiB 	-
phpbbsj_lang 	1 	InnoDB 	utf8_bin 	32 KiB 	-
phpbbsj_log 	0 	InnoDB 	utf8_bin 	112 KiB 	-
phpbbsj_login_attempts 	0 	InnoDB 	utf8_bin 	80 KiB 	-
phpbbsj_migrations 	239 	InnoDB 	utf8_bin 	80 KiB 	-
phpbbsj_moderator_cache 	0 	InnoDB 	utf8_bin 	48 KiB 	-
phpbbsj_modules 	207 	InnoDB 	utf8_bin 	96 KiB 	-
phpbbsj_notifications 	0 	InnoDB 	utf8_bin 	48 KiB 	-
phpbbsj_notification_types 	0 	InnoDB 	utf8_bin 	32 KiB 	-
phpbbsj_oauth_accounts 	0 	InnoDB 	utf8_bin 	16 KiB 	-
phpbbsj_oauth_states 	0 	InnoDB 	utf8_bin 	48 KiB 	-
phpbbsj_oauth_tokens 	0 	InnoDB 	utf8_bin 	48 KiB 	-
phpbbsj_poll_options 	0 	InnoDB 	utf8_bin 	48 KiB 	-
phpbbsj_poll_votes 	0 	InnoDB 	utf8_bin 	64 KiB 	-
phpbbsj_posts 	1 	InnoDB 	utf8_bin 	128 KiB 	-
phpbbsj_privmsgs 	0 	InnoDB 	utf8_bin 	80 KiB 	-
phpbbsj_privmsgs_folder 	0 	InnoDB 	utf8_bin 	32 KiB 	-
phpbbsj_privmsgs_rules 	0 	InnoDB 	utf8_bin 	32 KiB 	-
phpbbsj_privmsgs_to 	0 	InnoDB 	utf8_bin 	64 KiB 	-
phpbbsj_profile_fields 	12 	InnoDB 	utf8_bin 	48 KiB 	-
phpbbsj_profile_fields_data 	0 	InnoDB 	utf8_bin 	16 KiB 	-
phpbbsj_profile_fields_lang 	0 	InnoDB 	utf8_bin 	16 KiB 	-
phpbbsj_profile_lang 	12 	InnoDB 	utf8_bin 	16 KiB 	-
phpbbsj_ranks 	1 	InnoDB 	utf8_bin 	16 KiB 	-
phpbbsj_reports 	0 	InnoDB 	utf8_bin 	48 KiB 	-
phpbbsj_reports_reasons 	4 	InnoDB 	utf8_bin 	16 KiB 	-
phpbbsj_search_results 	0 	InnoDB 	utf8_bin 	16 KiB 	-
phpbbsj_search_wordlist 	68 	InnoDB 	utf8_bin 	48 KiB 	-
phpbbsj_search_wordmatch 	70 	InnoDB 	utf8_bin 	48 KiB 	-
phpbbsj_sessions 	80 	InnoDB 	utf8_bin 	64 KiB 	-
phpbbsj_sessions_keys 	0 	InnoDB 	utf8_bin 	32 KiB 	-
phpbbsj_sitelist 	0 	InnoDB 	utf8_bin 	16 KiB 	-
phpbbsj_smilies 	42 	InnoDB 	utf8_bin 	32 KiB 	-
phpbbsj_styles 	1 	InnoDB 	utf8_bin 	32 KiB 	-
phpbbsj_teampage 	2 	InnoDB 	utf8_bin 	16 KiB 	-
phpbbsj_topics 	1 	InnoDB 	utf8_bin 	128 KiB 	-
phpbbsj_topics_posted 	1 	InnoDB 	utf8_bin 	16 KiB 	-
phpbbsj_topics_track 	0 	InnoDB 	utf8_bin 	48 KiB 	-
phpbbsj_topics_watch 	0 	InnoDB 	utf8_bin 	64 KiB 	-
phpbbsj_users 	47 	InnoDB 	utf8_bin 	80 KiB 	-
phpbbsj_user_group 	49 	InnoDB 	utf8_bin 	64 KiB 	-
phpbbsj_user_notifications 	94 	InnoDB 	utf8_bin 	64 KiB 	-
phpbbsj_warnings 	0 	InnoDB 	utf8_bin 	16 KiB 	-
phpbbsj_words 	0 	InnoDB 	utf8_bin 	16 KiB 	-
phpbbsj_zebra 	0 	InnoDB 	utf8_bin 	16 KiB 	-
phpbb_acl_groups 	825 	MyISAM 	utf8_bin 	42.3 KiB 	-
phpbb_acl_options 	117 	MyISAM 	utf8_bin 	10.3 KiB 	-
phpbb_acl_roles 	24 	MyISAM 	utf8_bin 	5.5 KiB 	-
phpbb_acl_roles_data 	394 	MyISAM 	utf8_bin 	17.1 KiB 	-
phpbb_acl_users 	287 	MyISAM 	utf8_bin 	16.9 KiB 	-
phpbb_attachments 	0 	MyISAM 	utf8_bin 	1 KiB 	-
phpbb_banlist 	0 	MyISAM 	utf8_bin 	2 KiB 	-
phpbb_bbcodes 	5 	MyISAM 	utf8_bin 	22.7 KiB 	-
phpbb_bookmarks 	4 	MyISAM 	utf8_bin 	2 KiB 	-
phpbb_bots 	51 	MyISAM 	utf8_bin 	5.3 KiB 	-
phpbb_config 	273 	MyISAM 	utf8_bin 	30 KiB 	-
phpbb_confirm 	1 	MyISAM 	utf8_bin 	3.1 KiB 	-
phpbb_disallow 	0 	MyISAM 	utf8_bin 	1 KiB 	-
phpbb_drafts 	0 	MyISAM 	utf8_bin 	1 KiB 	-
phpbb_extensions 	66 	MyISAM 	utf8_bin 	3.3 KiB 	-
phpbb_extension_groups 	9 	MyISAM 	utf8_bin 	2.2 KiB 	-
phpbb_forums 	24 	MyISAM 	utf8_bin 	9.1 KiB 	-
phpbb_forums_access 	0 	MyISAM 	utf8_bin 	1 KiB 	-
phpbb_forums_track 	135 	MyISAM 	utf8_bin 	5.5 KiB 	-
phpbb_forums_watch 	0 	MyISAM 	utf8_bin 	1 KiB 	-
phpbb_groups 	36 	MyISAM 	utf8_bin 	10.2 KiB 	-
phpbb_icons 	229 	MyISAM 	utf8_bin 	23.5 KiB 	-
phpbb_lang 	2 	MyISAM 	utf8_bin 	3.1 KiB 	-
phpbb_log 	3,879 	MyISAM 	utf8_bin 	585.4 KiB 	-
phpbb_login_attempts 	2 	MyISAM 	utf8_general_ci 	11.3 KiB 	-
phpbb_moderator_cache 	31 	MyISAM 	utf8_bin 	3.7 KiB 	-
phpbb_modules 	197 	MyISAM 	utf8_bin 	27.3 KiB 	-
phpbb_poll_options 	29 	MyISAM 	utf8_bin 	4.1 KiB 	-
phpbb_poll_votes 	8 	MyISAM 	utf8_bin 	4.2 KiB 	-
phpbb_portal_config 	82 	MyISAM 	latin1_swedish_ci 	10.8 KiB 	-
phpbb_posts 	58,455 	MyISAM 	utf8_bin 	30.1 MiB 	-
99 tables 	67,125 	InnoDB 	latin1_swedish_ci 	33.8 MiB 	0 B
Okay; so what it looks like is that the importing of the old database gets interrupted during the importing of the post table as all of the one after that alphabetically aren't there. Right?

So, I should definitely look into trying the dumpfile thing and see if that imports correctly. I will do that now.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”