Style Change Resulted in Forum Lockout

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
fasst1

Style Change Resulted in Forum Lockout

Post by fasst1 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:04 pm

Hi,
I'm new here and need help. I have a phpBB older version forum on my website www.2ndbattalion9thmarines.org. One of our members mentioned they thought the fonts were hard to read because they were too small. As a result I attempted to try a different style (subsilver2), that was listed in the admin section of the forum (newforum.2ndbattalion9thmarines.org. The result of that was a complete failure. The board disappeared and a single page now generates when anyone attempts to access the forum. I posted a copy of that page below. I can do nothing with it and cannot even get into the admin area. An important point here is I am not a very technically oriented person and took over as the website administrator long after the original forum was created. I'm not even sure if this is the correct place to post this call for help. Can anyone help me? At this point I'd just like to get back to the board the way it was before I screwed it up.

Hopefully,

Danny Schuster
Administrator, 2nd Battalion, 9th Marines Network

General Error
template->_tpl_load_file(): File ./styles/subsilver2/template/index_body.html does not exist or is empty

BACKTRACE

FILE: (not given by php)
LINE: (not given by php)
CALL: msg_handler()

FILE: [ROOT]/includes/functions_template.php
LINE: 63
CALL: trigger_error()

FILE: [ROOT]/includes/template.php
LINE: 437
CALL: template_compile->_tpl_load_file()

FILE: [ROOT]/includes/template.php
LINE: 224
CALL: template->_tpl_load()

FILE: [ROOT]/includes/functions.php
LINE: 4809
CALL: template->display()

FILE: [ROOT]/index.php
LINE: 145
CALL: page_footer()
Please notify the board administrator or webmaster: ditson35@verizon.net

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Style Change Resulted in Forum Lockout

Post by Brf » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:16 pm

Support for phpBB2 ended 10 years ago. All we can offer is support converting to the latest.
Information on how to convert from phpBB2 to phpBB 3.2 is here.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:37 pm

to solve your immediate problem, the error says that the subsilver2/template/index_body file is missing.

I do not find any subsilver2 style files on the server.

not sure why you would have something that allowed you to change the style if that style was not installed.

the only way I know to fix this is by having access to the ftp so you can upload the missing files and or upgrade, or, access to the database so you can switch it back to prosilver style.

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

fasst1

Post by fasst1 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:31 pm

Lumpy,
Thanks for the response. That subsilver2 style was listed in the admin section with a note that it needed to be downloaded. I didn't think it would cause a problem so I did that and than hit install. The forums disappeared. A lot of Marines are going to be disappointed since I have no where near the expertise nor access to correct anything, and all I wanted was to improve font sizes. Guess I shouldn't have messed around with a very old version installed years before I took over the admin role. Thanks again.

Danny

HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:37 pm

The files I can see on your board appear to be a mix of versions, which is why you are getting the problem.

Do you know what version of phpBB you were using before the problem started? I suspect it was phpBB 3.0.x as thats what showing on Wayback

Do you have FTP access as well as access to the board it self? The board can be recovered successfully but full access is needed.

fasst1

Post by fasst1 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:41 pm

I think BRF in the initial reply must have looked at the files and it appears it is phpBB2. I honestly don't know and do NOT have full access. Since the support team no longer supports that version I have no idea where to turn other than to install a new forum and inform the 2,000 plus members of our network that their posts are lost. I really appreciate the feedback and if there is anyone out there that can help reverse the transaction it would obviously be greatly appreciated. Thanks Hi Fi.

Danny

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:17 pm

Do I correctly understand that you have neither FTP access to the files, nor access to the database?
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

EA117

Post by EA117 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:09 pm

fasst1 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:04 pm
As a result I attempted to try a different style (subsilver2), that was listed in the admin section of the forum (newforum.2ndbattalion9thmarines.org.
Danny, on the computer where you usually access the forum from, did you have "Remember me" selected in the phpBB login form such that you didn't have to actually login with your password every time?

If so, go back to that specific machine, and the specific web browser where you were logging in automatically like that, and try the following URL:

http://newforum.2ndbattalion9thmarines. ... hp?style=1

None of us can test whether that will work, because we're hitting your site as the anonymous user, and so none of us can make it past the $auth->acl_get('a_styles') check for whether a "style=" override can be honored in the URL. But maybe it will work for you, if you're logged in.

fasst1

Post by fasst1 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:25 pm

Steve,
That is correct. I have moderator and admin access but cannot access the FTP files nor the database files. All I know is that is the way it was set up well before I took over the website and forums 5 years ago.

EA117,
I thought you solved my problem, but.... Hitting that URL brought the board straight up. Now the problem is I can get into the moderator area but NOT the admin area. Now I can get to the board by using the URL you provided but that same page I copied into my initial post pops up when I try to get to the admin area.

Danny

3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:33 pm

Last edited by 3Di on Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
👨‍🏫 | Take a tour to | The Studio | 👨‍🏫

fasst1

Post by fasst1 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:40 pm

I got HTTP error 404.0 with both those URLs. I certainly appreciate all the help here. The good news is I now know the board is sitting out there, somewhere, intact. It's disappointing I can't fix it!

Danny

EA117

Post by EA117 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:57 am

fasst1 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:25 pm
Hitting that URL brought the board straight up. Now the problem is I can get into the moderator area but NOT the admin area. Now I can get to the board by using the URL you provided but that same page I copied into my initial post pops up when I try to get to the admin area.
You're right. I intentionally broke a test board in the same way as yours is broken, and I can't get the ACP login to not fall back to referencing the default style either. I can't tell exactly why its falling back when presenting the admin re-login, but nothing I have tried has worked either for getting past the ACP login.

Unfortunately the "style=1" is only going work for as long as your logged-on session remains valid, and eventually I expect "style=1" stops working even for you too, once you become "an anonymous logged-out user" like the rest of us are on that board.

Sounds like it's time to talk to whomever setup or is paying the bills for hosting that server, to get access to the hosting account credentials & FTP credentials for being able to access the files on that server. Since that's going to be required in order to upgrade the version of phpBB too; regardless of whether you'll initially use the info just to fix getting the current board back online.

(If you get FTP access to the files, copying the /styles/prosilver/ directory over top of the /styles/subsilver2/ directory is how I would regain access. You'll be completely overwriting the subsilver2 style with a different style, but it should make it so there is a complete set of valid style files within the /styles/subsilver2/ directory, even though it will be the "wrong one". Just be sure to copy the /styles/prosilver/ directory over top of the /styles/subsilver2/ directory, and do not move the /styles/prosilver/ directory.)

fasst1

Post by fasst1 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:06 am

Thanks EA117. I am IT as far as that goes. I run the website, the forums and pay the bills. Colony One is the website host but I didn't think they could do anything about this. I've gotten to know the main customer support guy there and will contact him to see what, if anything, he can do. I'll post the results here.
Danny

EA117

Post by EA117 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:52 am

fasst1 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:06 am
Thanks EA117. I am IT as far as that goes. I run the website, the forums and pay the bills. Colony One is the website host but I didn't think they could do anything about this. I've gotten to know the main customer support guy there and will contact him to see what, if anything, he can do. I'll post the results here.
You're probably correct in expecting that "they will not provide any phpBB-specific support". But so long as you're the one who "owns" the hosting account now & they don't have any dispute with that, what you should be able to expect is that they will help you learn or reset the FTP access credentials.

So maybe approach it from that angle; you're not asking them to help resolve the phpBB issue specifically; you're just trying to get your FTP credentials so that you can then perform the phpBB fixes and upgrades on your own.

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:19 am

While you're talking to the host ask them if you can have a full backup of the database seeing as you can't access that part of the server
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”