Do Notifications stop?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Morgain

Do Notifications stop?

Post by Morgain » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:45 pm

I have run several small study groups on forums and they all failed. Email notification stops if the member does not visit the board after the first notification.
I understand that on a large board this is necessary to avoid floods of notification. But a small board without a high quantity of posts is very different.

Busy members of a working project most of the time don't need to visit except if they want to reply to a notification, make a request for something, or start a new sub-project. They'll check in every 2 weeks, or every month - and that's fine. But the notification emails are vital to keep them in the loop.
When notifications stop because they have not visited it cuts them out and they easily forget to visit.

I had to work hard and keep sending polite nags and pushes to get members to visit and we all found ot a strain.

Is PhBB like this?
If so can I disable the notifications stop?

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Do Notifications stop?

Post by KevC » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:15 pm

If you're talking about notifications of a post in a topic or forum, it will send one email (if the person has requested emails) when a post is made and that's it. There is no built in system to send another one if they haven't visited in X days.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

Morgain

Post by Morgain » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:52 am

Thank you yes I am talking about notification emails.
But I didn't mean I want a duplicate notification sent later about the same post.I meant I want notifications to continue about all subscribed threads/ topics. Regardless whether the user visits the board or not.

What has happened on other boards is that a user can be subscribed to multiple topics/ threads. An email is sent when there is a new post to ONE of those topics/ threads.
BUT notification then stops until they visit the board. So if they don't visit the board they don't know there are posts on their OTHER subscribed topics/ threads.

John connor

Post by John connor » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:34 am

Morgain wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:45 pm
Is PhBB like this?
Not that I know of. On one of my boards, when ever someone adds info to a topic, everyone who has posted to that topic gets an email notification. It should also work to those that don't post, but just subscribe to that topic. Unless that person elects not to receive email notifications in their UCP.

Morgain wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:45 pm
If so can I disable the notifications stop?
You can stop it I believe. If you don't want users getting an email there's a setting hard coded in the phpBB forum that you can change with a switch. Though there may be a permission that you can use or I know of an extension that will change hard coded options so you don't have to mess with core code. If this is something you want to do, let me know and I'll post the name of this extension.

Morgain

Post by Morgain » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:37 am

Oh that's fine - I need my team to continue to get notification emails whether they visit or not.
Thank you very much.

John connor

Post by John connor » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:43 am

Are you currently using phpBB or something else?

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:37 am

I think this is the closest you'll find
viewtopic.php?t=2354426
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:00 pm

There is a bug that has existed for quite some time that will achieve this, in the notifications settings if you have it set to only notify by email you will get an email notification for every single reply. However that is a bug and looks like it should be fixed in next release:

https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/pull/5337

It's not a desirable behavior because if you have active topic you could be sending many emails to someone and it is effectively spamming your users. I could see the value of having it reset after X days or whatever but that would require a modification/extension.

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:02 pm

IT'S A FEATURE!!
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”