Access denied for user

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
skatebord42er

Access denied for user

Post by skatebord42er »

Hey, long story short, I swapped database names over to get the old database back and not the new one, everytime I try to access my forums I get, "Access denied for user 'southcen_phpb577'@'localhost' (using password: YES) [1045]", This happens to anyone trying to access it.

"southcen_phpb577" is the database name.

Not sure why it says localhost, and not sure why it's saying it's using a password, any ideas?
david63

Re: Access denied for user

Post by david63 »

skatebord42er wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:53 am any ideas
One, or more, of database name, server, username or password that is in your config.php file does not match that of the actual database
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
skatebord42er

Post by skatebord42er »

Ok, apologises, I'm new to PHPBB, I've went of what I know from another program of scripting that uses mysql and deleted the dbname dbhost etc, now I'm getting;
"Access denied for user ''@'localhost' (using password: NO) [1045]"

These forums are public so people can get on them, I'm not sure why it's saying localhost when they're public and not just for local usage, unless I'm thinking the wrong way of that.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

You're thinking the wrong way.

Localhost is typically the name that hosting companies give to their own servers (but not always - you should check with the hosts).

Deleting the information from the config.php file was not the right thing to do.

That file 'connects' your phpBB files to the database where all of the users and posts are. The information in that file must be exactly right for the connection to be made. Also the username that you are telling it has access to that database must have permission to access it on your hosting account.

So either, as David said, the information was wrong, or the info was right but the account did not have the right permission on the hosting package.
When it is all correct, the forum will show up.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
skatebord42er

Post by skatebord42er »

All right, so I think I've got this right, what do I put for the password? Just leave it blank and closed like '' or with a space? ' ' cause each time I just get using password: NO
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

it is not referring to your localhost as in your computer. it is referring to the hosting company server. most all hosting companies use that. the few that don't will require you to actually input the database IP or server name in to that spot in your config.php file.

everything you put in that config file has to be exactly right. you can't guess or assume.

check the email that you got when you signed up for the hosting account. there is usually the settings you need to use to setup those things.
or, just go to the control panel of your hosting account or the support site for them and it will tell you what to use if localhost is not correct for their servers.

once you get that part correct, you have to put the database name for the database your phpbb is using, the database username and password have to be correct for that specific database.
everything on the internet is case sensitive ( except windows/microsoft stuff but we won't go there ) so make sure it is all correct that way.

when you created the database in question, make sure you applied the database username to that database. if your control panel at the host is cpanel, that is in the database setup section right after you create the database.
make sure you gave that database user all permissions. that is also part of the setup wizard.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
skatebord42er

Post by skatebord42er »

OK, I've done everything right, password, user, host, now when I try access the forums I get

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

What's the address of the site?

Are you sure you have the exact address right?
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
skatebord42er

Post by skatebord42er »

Yes, everything was correct, but I've decided to restart fresh so I know what I'm doing, during the installation of phpBB, I set the Table Prefix to the old database's one, with the database name and now I'm getting this error on accessing the forums

"Table 'southcen_phpb666.phpbb9qconfig' doesn't exist [1146]"

It does exist, so I'm not sure why it's saying this.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

what is the link to the site
what info are you putting in the config.php file ( not the username/password )

when you get it right, it will work.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

You can't use a table prefix that already exists in that database. It won't overwrite it.

A fresh installation won't help.
You just need to get the config.php info right and it will work. At the moment it's not right.
skatebord42er

Post by skatebord42er »

Hey, after a lot of changing, fixing, etc, I fell into numerous problems, I've decided to just re-do all the stuff that I've lost.

Thank you for those who replied and helped, I appreciate it a lot.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

ok but I'm not sure it's necessary. From the position you were in in the very first post, you were about 30 seconds away from it working.
skatebord42er

Post by skatebord42er »

Well, it was far more complex for me as a newbie to phpBB to describe the issues I was having, knowing how to do this and that, what next, and so forth. It was time wasting for me and others and so I felt just re-doing it all was the better option, and I went and fixed "this" problem but on came another problem, and then another, and so I was at the peak of losing motivation.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”