Did we really need phpbb_search_wordmatch and phpbb_search_wordlist when upgrading forum

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
EXEMOK

Did we really need phpbb_search_wordmatch and phpbb_search_wordlist when upgrading forum

Post by EXEMOK » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:22 pm

I have very big board (phpbb_posts is about 3,466,433 entries).
phpbb_search_wordlist ~1,422,688
phpbb_search_wordmatch ~49,787,952
Do we really need this tables in upgrade process (from 3.0.12 to 3.2.5).
What would happen if I will truncate this tables before upgrade process and after that run script to recreate search indexes?

david63
Name: David Wood

Re: Did we really need phpbb_search_wordmatch and phpbb_search_wordlist when upgrading forum

Post by david63 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:41 pm

As far as I am aware the upgrade process does not touch the search tables but it would do no harm if you truncated them and rebuilt the search indecies after the upgrade - however the rebuild will probably take several hours
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: Did we really need phpbb_search_wordmatch and phpbb_search_wordlist when upgrading forum

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:44 pm

if the problem is when making a backup of the database then no, you do not need to backup those tables.
in the rare event that you have to use that backup you can do as said above and rebuild the search index.
as far as the actual update process I agree with david, I don't think the update/upgrade touches those tables so it doesn't matter how large they are etc.

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

EXEMOK

Post by EXEMOK » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:48 pm

When I run test upgrade of database - I am sure this table we touched. It takes more then 8 hours to upgrade them.

So I will run one more test, and see what happens.

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:58 pm

Here is the easy way to do it. Just rename those three tables by changing their table prefix. After the database update, name them back. No re-indexing.

But there will be errors after the update until the tables are back. So it may be better to copy the tables using phpMyAdmin, rename the copies by changing the prefix, EMPTY the original tables, and then after the upgrade, DROP those table and rename the copies back to the original prefix.

Make sure not to delete or rename the /install folder until this is done, so that no posts get made in the interim.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”