What to do with homepage

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
garfy

What to do with homepage

Post by garfy »

I used to have a bridge with geeklog (prehistoric CMS) and they discontinued bridge after a while...
Me being a super fan of phpbb forum I ditched the whole geeklog and used only phpbb forum.

But now I have a redirect from homepage and it might affect SEO?
Some seo "experts" claim the redirect is looping etc.....

Is there a way to keep the forum in the subfolder and keep same link structure and put phpbb page into root so there will not be any more redirect?
Can I do it with HTML or something? What do you think?

I just want to have something on homepage and ditch the 301 redirect to subfolder....
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: What to do with homepage

Post by Mick »

What is the homepage, is it HTML or PHP etc? Also, I'm not sure the placement of any files affects SEO, search engines seem to find phpBB wherever it is.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
garfy

Post by garfy »

everything is redirected via 301 to phpBB folder.....
check the site in signature please

Google deranked major 2 keywords for homepage, so I suspect maybe 301 redirect could be the cause?

I want to do it same as this site is doing phpbb.com
do you use wordpress for blog? How did you style all the pages that are not from forum?
janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal »

Google deranked major 2 keywords for homepage, so I suspect maybe 301 redirect could be the cause?
There is nothing on your homepage, so Google can rank your for things that not there.

And even after repeat it 10 times you still link to your http url I really don't understand you :roll:
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!
garfy

Post by garfy »

we were number one for bad breath forum for more than 10 years.....now we are at 150 position......
is it either manual ban or just this redirect....cause seems to me only homepage is affected somehow....for ranking
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

If it was ok and suddenly isn't something has changed, if you changed nothing somebody else has. Have you posted on the google support forums? Getting a good ranking is one thing, maintaining it is another, it's a constant battle and relies on other domains not getting better information than you to attract a good ranking.
    " - Harmony Cobel
garfy

Post by garfy »

trust me we are the biggest bad breath site in the world....it was manual ban if the redirect is not an issue....I dont want to explain this more and more.....it is the best bb forum in the world
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

You havn't got an issue then.
    " - Harmony Cobel
garfy

Post by garfy »

of course there is- we lost 70% traffic just like that
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

If you had a whole bunch of pages in the root and are now redirecting them to single page e.g. forum index that is considered spammy. The other issue is those pages may have a whole bunch of external inks pointing to them that would be carrying over to the forum if there was forum link on them.

Best advice I can give you is install Drupal or some other CMS and recreate whatever pages you had before. It doesn't need to be bridged to phpBB.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
garfy

Post by garfy »

Drupal is too heavy I think, I will go with WP

But I want to have like 20 last posts embedded on home page and I dont know how to do that.......is there a script I can copy to achieve that?
canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Post by canonknipser »

use the rss feed - wp has a rss reader module included, afaik
Greetings, Frank
phpbb.de support team member
English is not my native language - no support via PM or mail
New arrival - Extensions and scripts for phpBB
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

and if you do this, you will have to remove the redirect you have in the htaccess file in the root of the site.
right now, all accesses to the domain are redirected to the board folder and its index.php file.

essentially you do NOT have a home page that anyone will ever see unless you remove that redirect.

whatever you have done to change how your domain was setup before you applied the redirect, undo do it and your SEO problem will probably be solved.
don't expect it to happen very quick.

you can also ask google why your site lost its rankings.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
garfy

Post by garfy »

I redirected domain to folder via htaccess approx 4 years ago......google banned our site few months ago....so it was like this the whole site after I ditched the geeklog....perhaps maybe 6 or 7 years I dont really remember

I suspect a manual ban who knows why.....
I woud just like to create a html homepage and put link to forum there, but style it the same way as the site looks now so I would have to somehow copy the code of the forum right now.....

or even better I will probably really create WP site and put those all blog pages back on that we had on geeklog......
there is also a WP phpbb bridge, but I am afraid it will further slow down the site......

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”