Board & Email

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Exclusive

Board & Email

Post by Exclusive » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:32 am

Hi All,
I have a default email address that sends the registration activation link to my forum users e.g: board@domail.tld but I want the contact email to be a different one so I created another email e.g: support@domail.tld, how do I change the contact us email address?
Use Search Button to get Instant Results | Follow Forum Rules
Avoid Spams in the forum to prevent banning the offending account. | ⟿ Visit My Awesome phpBB Forum! ⬳

Get The Best Web Hosting | ✔ Buy Cheap Domain Names

.m.

Re: Board & Email

Post by .m. » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:53 am

Email settings in the admin panel has two settings
Contact email address & From email address
try changing the first one & check ...

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:56 am

The registration activation link goes to the address used by your admin account with 'can manage users' permission.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

EA117

Post by EA117 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:57 pm

KevC wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:56 am
The registration activation link goes to the address used by your admin account with 'can manage users' permission.
Agreed, for the case of admin approval for registrations, and for what email address(es) would be in the "To:" field of the notification generated to admins.

For all cases, including the case described of sending a registration link to the forum users (i.e. self-activation), it is the the board "Contact name:" and "Contact email address:" configuration which will provide the SMTP header "From:" and "Reply-To:" name and email address. And the "From email address:" configuration will provide the SMTP header "Sender:" and "Return-Path:" email address, which you may or may not have wanted to be different than the "From:" address.

As .m. indicated, we're talking about ACP, General tab, Client Communication section, Email Settings.

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:53 pm

EA117 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:57 pm
and for what email address(es) would be in the "To:" field of the notification generated to admins.
If you are referring to sending an email to multiple Admins then that can easily be achieved by the use of a mailing list
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

EA117

Post by EA117 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:15 am

david63 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:53 pm
If you are referring to sending an email to multiple Admins then that can easily be achieved by the use of a mailing list
I don't actually use admin approval for registrations, to have seen first-hand what actually happens. So thanks for any correction or further clarification that can be provided. But the "admin account with manage users permission" assertion made in this thread (and confirmed in other threads on this same topic) is a criteria which would potentially match more than one account.

The only email sent directly by the registration function is the email to the new user who registered; either providing the activation link (when in self-approval mode) or confirming that an admin will approve their registration later (in admin approval mode).

The registration then submits a "notification to admins", which I am presuming (when a board is in admin approval mode) includes the ability for each admin to control whether such notifications happen only in-board, or generate an email to the admin account(s), etc., same as they are able to control what happens in response to any other kind of generated notification directed at them.

So I was just confirming that "the email address(es) on the admin account(s) which have manage users permission" would actually only be what provides the "To:" address on the admin notification emails, and only in the case of a board in admin approval mode.

But the original question here is actually about self-approval mode, which means it's not about the "To:" address (which is always the newly-registered user), and the question was about changing the From/Reply-To/Sender/Return-Path address.

Exclusive

Post by Exclusive » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:13 am

What I mean is that;

A. From ACP > SYSTEM you can send a mass email. When users register, an activation link is sent to them through this same email address (the same email address that sends the mass email, is the same email that send the registration activation link).

B. But I would like the "Contact Us" Page Email to be a different one.

In summary, If the "A" email is board@domain.tld then I want the "B" to be support@domail.tld

Hope it's clear?
Avoid Spams in the forum to prevent banning the offending account. | ⟿ Visit My Awesome phpBB Forum! ⬳

janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:17 am

Edit the contact link in the navbar_footer

Code: Select all

<a href="{U_CONTACT_US}" role="menuitem">
into

<a href="mailto:upport@domail.tld" role="menuitem"
In my opinion totally useless but it is your board :lol:
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!

EA117

Post by EA117 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:22 pm

Exclusive wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:13 am
Hope it's clear?
Thanks for the clarification. I did not get that from the original message, and was definitely off in the wrong direction.

I agree with Janus, and that phpBB does not try and get those email address from "two different configured sources". To make specifically the "Contact Us" email different, you would have to edit "something" to create the non-standard behavior.

Editing the style and making a "mailto:" link in place of the normal "Contact Us" link is certainly the easiest and least intrusive place to be making a custom edit.

If you wanted to keep the actual "Contact Us" form instead of a "mailto:" link, it would require modifying the /phpbb/message/admin_form.php submit() function, to pass your hard-coded alternate email address to message->add_recipient() instead of retrieving the $this->config['board_contact'] configuration. For example, changing:

$this->message->add_recipient(
			$this->user->lang['ADMINISTRATOR'],
			$this->config['board_contact'],
			$this->config['default_lang'],
			NOTIFY_EMAIL
		);
Into something like:

'support@domain.tld',
			NOTIFY_EMAIL
		);

HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:41 pm

Exclusive wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:13 am
<snip>
In summary, If the "A" email is board@domain.tld then I want the "B" to be support@domail.tld

Hope it's clear?
Look at my "Obscure Contact Us" extension which adds a JavaScript encoded mailto link which is invisible to bots (and therefore is SPAM proof as possible)

Exclusive

Post by Exclusive » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:14 pm

janus_zonstraal wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:17 am
Edit the contact link in the navbar_footer

<a href="{U_CONTACT_US}" role="menuitem">
into

<a href="mailto:upport@domail.tld" role="menuitem"
In my opinion totally useless but it is your board :lol:
Thank you for the first move.... You really got what I wanted, lemme try it!

Exclusive

Post by Exclusive » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:54 am

EA117 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:22 pm
Thanks for the clarification. I did not get that from the original message, and was definitely off in the wrong direction.

I agree with Janus, and that phpBB does not try and get those email address from "two different configured sources". To make specifically the "Contact Us" email different, you would have to edit "something" to create the non-standard behavior.

Editing the style and making a "mailto:" link in place of the normal "Contact Us" link is certainly the easiest and least intrusive place to be making a custom edit.

If you wanted to keep the actual "Contact Us" form instead of a "mailto:" link, it would require modifying the /phpbb/message/admin_form.php submit() function, to pass your hard-coded alternate email address to message->add_recipient() instead of retrieving the $this->config['board_contact'] configuration. For example, changing:

$this->config['board_contact'],
			NOTIFY_EMAIL
		);
Into something like:

'support@domain.tld',
			NOTIFY_EMAIL
		);

This worked perfectly! Thank you all for your contributions! :D

EA117

Post by EA117 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:27 am

Exclusive wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:54 am
This worked perfectly! Thank you all for your contributions! :D
That's great, an you're welcome. Definitely nice to have the full Contact Us form sometimes, since you don't control whether the user actually has anything setup that will deal with a "mailto:" link.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”