Contact to admin link

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
tojag
Name: Gregory

Contact to admin link

Post by tojag »

Hi
Why is a link to contacting the administrator in some cases using the contact form, and in some cases the link is plain text mailto: admin @ domain.com?
Eg. I am using recaptcha and above its it is displaying explanation (the lang constant 'CONFIRM_EXPLAIN') with link to contacting admin. In page source it is a mailto function with my email address as a plain text.
In other case eg. for the constant 'LOGIN_ERROR_USERNAME' it is a link to contact admin form.
I don't know is it a bug or intended?
Of course I would prefer to have link to contact form instead mailto.
But maybe it is a problem with contactadmin extension https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... act_admin/?
Does anyone who does not use contact admin extension, confirm this behavior?

phpbb3.2.5
prosilver
php7.1.11
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: Contact to admin link

Post by stevemaury »

Can you give us links to each type of contact link on your board? The "Contact us" link in the footer uses the board email function form.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
tojag

Post by tojag »

Hi Stevemaury
Yes, 'contact us' link goes to contact form properly. But look at here after accept tos, above recaptcha
[]
Unfortatenly my site is in polish only.
I can't check here on this board because there it is no recaptcha for registration.

Edit.
Link on PM only.
Last edited by tojag on Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

I see the mailto: link. That is not coming from phpBB.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
tojag

Post by tojag »

Hmmm, but this come from lang constant 'CONFIRM_EXPLAIN'. It have value with text as You see with %sadministrator%s parameter.
Maybe it is a bug in lang file ucp.php.
EA117

Post by EA117 »

tojag wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:06 am
But maybe it is a problem with contactadmin extension https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... act_admin/?
Does anyone who does not use contact admin extension, confirm this behavior?
This sounds like a good suspicion to me. Because phpBB itself appears to consistently use the phpbb_get_board_contact_link() function to generate the target of that link, and will honor the "Enable contact page" setting (in ACP, General tab, Board Configuration section, Contact Page Settings) to decide whether to generate a "mailto:" link or the "memberlist.php?mode=contactadmin" link in the captcha help description.

It's only by virtue of the Contact Admin extension that you even can have the captcha on the Contact Us page. I suspect that the Contact Admin extension might (?) be intentionally only allowing the "mailto:" link, because "you're already on the Contact Us page." i.e. It wouldn't make sense to "give you a link to the page you're already on."

It's probably good to ask in the Contact Admin extension support area regarding whether there is anything you can do to stop a mailto: link from being generated. For phpBB itself, it's the "Enable contact page" setting that will control this. But in phpBB itself, you can't have captcha on the Contact Us page.
tojag

Post by tojag »

EA117 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:24 pm
because "you're already on the Contact Us page."
no, no it is happening on registration form.
I try to disable Contact Admin to check it.
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin »

Its part of the Re Captcha extension allowing people to contact you should the Re Captcha server be off line or some other issue.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

another reason not to use the recaptcha. the built in Q&A works just fine with a proper question. give it a try and then you don't have to depend on some other server being online or working correctly for your logins, etc.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
EA117

Post by EA117 »

tojag wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:02 pm
no, no it is happening on registration form.
I try to disable Contact Admin to check it.
Of course you are correct; I was mixed up on where the issue was occurring.

For the registration page -- which is where standard phpBB does show the captcha -- then to see a "mailto:" link generated there would make me first want to check the configuration state of "Enable contact page" (in ACP, General tab, Board Configuration section, Contact Page Settings). Since having that set to "off" is what will cause phpBB itself to generate a "mailto:" link instead of the "memberlist.php?mode=contactadmin" link in the captcha help description.

You're still correct that it might somehow involve the Contact Admin extension. Such as if for any reason using that extension requires that "Enable contact page" must be set to "Off" or similar.
tojag

Post by tojag »

I have just disabled the Contact Admin extension for test this issue. Next, I purged cache and opened site in another browser. The problem still exists. Temporary I will change the 'CONFIRM_EXPLAIN' const in ucp.php file by deleting %s parameter. This will help me to hide my address but not resolve a problem. So, I am waiting for someone who use recaptcha on his forum and can test this.
I am not planning to disable recaptcha durning registration. The Contact Admin ext with recaptcha is very good too. I have no spam like from standard contact form.
tojag

Post by tojag »

EA117 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:42 pm
For the registration page -- which is where standard phpBB does show the captcha -- then to see a "mailto:" link generated there would make me first want to check the configuration state of "Enable contact page" (in ACP, General tab, Board Configuration section, Contact Page Settings). Since having that set to "off" is what will cause phpBB itself to generate a "mailto:" link instead of the "memberlist.php?mode=contactadmin" link in the captcha help description.
This is the cause of the problem!
I was set there for OFF since the launch of Contact Admin ext. So if someone uses this extension, even though it works independently, you should have the standard contact page enabled to generate properly link to contact form.
It is a bit strange because I tested all other links to the contact page and it was ok. Only here I found a problem. Could the function generating the link to contact the admin be different in the recaptcha module?
Thanks a lot EA117.
Thanks all.
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by HiFiKabin »

HiFiKabin wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:11 pm
Its part of the Re Captcha extension allowing people to contact you should the Re Captcha server be off line or some other issue.
tojag

Post by tojag »

HiFiKabin I read it but I didn't understand why does it work in other way. Probably there is another function for generate contact admin link. Early I thought that it is the same function. Maybe this should be corrected in a future version?
Regards
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by HiFiKabin »

It works that way for two main reasons.

1) The Re Captcha server is down so is not working on anyones board or website. How do they contact you (after all you may not have a 'contact us' button on your site)

2) The user can not correctly complete the re captcha so need to contact you (see point 1)

Its how re captcha works, and how it should work. If you want your email address to be removed from that page then you will have to edit that file. There is no other way around it.

Any further questions about this should be asked in the extensions support topic.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”