Cannot host PHPBB on BlueHost, help please

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
AlphaZulu

Cannot host PHPBB on BlueHost, help please

Post by AlphaZulu » Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:57 am

I recently paid for a domain subscription on BlueHost, and I followed the instructions to activate the one-click install of PHPBB to no avail. My attempt to install PHPBB yields an error message, saying it was unable to install.

It then occurred to me that the only one-click add on for PHPBB on BlueHost available was for version 3.1.9, an apparently older version which I presume may be the reason why it won't properly install. However, I do not see a one-click install for version 3.2 anywhere on BlueHost, and I see no instructions on how to manually install it to BlueHost myself.

PHPBB recommends BlueHost as one of the domain providers able to host PHPBB forums, which is why I decided to subscribe to it. However, I see little documentation on how to properly host the latest version of PHPBB there. Most of the information I can find is outdated, from many years ago.

Any help on this matter would be much appreciated. Thanks.

HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Re: Cannot host PHPBB on BlueHost, help please

Post by HiFiKabin » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:37 am

'One Click' installs are not supported here as the code base has been altered from the original.

Delete everything you have tried to do so far and follow the install instructions HERE

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:08 pm

Installation of phpBB on Bluehost is the same as on any other compliant host. Our recommendations should not be construed as recommending any host's one-click installation software, which we neither recommend nor support.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

AlphaZulu

Post by AlphaZulu » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:27 pm

I'm sorry, I'm not exactly a seasoned web developer, and those instructions are quite convoluted and vague when it comes to certain things.

IE: It says to change permissions on various things, and to upload the PHPBB files to the web host, but it does not really clearly explain how to do all that. Is there any kind of live support that can help me with this, or at least a YouTube video walk through or something? Most online tutorials are like 8 years old, so I'm not sure they're relevant to what I'm trying to do.

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:40 pm

Do you have FTP access to your domain and know how to use it?
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

AlphaZulu

Post by AlphaZulu » Thu May 02, 2019 10:06 pm

I assume so. I recently purchased a BlueHost domain subscription, and I'm its only user. Knowing how to use it may be another matter.

In any case, I thought I had successfully uploaded all necessary PHPBB files online through FileZilla. However, using my URL: http://www.ridforum.com/phpbb3/install/ does not allow me to initiate the installation process in any way, as seems to be suggested in the instructions.

I'm sure I've missed something significant, or am going about this completely the wrong way.

EA117

Post by EA117 » Thu May 02, 2019 11:00 pm

It may be a moving picture, but at least at the moment I looked at the URL you provided, I see a still-compressed phpBB 3.1.9 .tgz sitting up there, but nothing from phpBB 3.2.x.

The intention is that you would download the current phpBB 3.2.5 installation full package (https://www.phpbb.com/files/release/phpBB-3.2.5.zip) and extract those files on your workstation. And then upload the contents of the /phpbb3 directory from the .zip file to where you want phpBB to live on your server.

Meaning if you wanted for phpBB to be in a /forum directory of the server, you would create a /forum directory on your server in FileZilla, and then upload the everything that is under the /phpbb3 directory in the .ZIP file (app.php, config.php, etc., as well as the folders such as /adm, /assets, etc.) to that /forum directory on the server.

Such that when you're done, on your server you'll have /forum/app.php, /forum/config.php, /forum/adm, /forum/assets, etc., and perhaps most importantly, /forum/install. Currently there are no phpBB installation files that have actually been extracted and uploaded to the /phpbb3 directory. I'm not even sure how the /phpbb3/install directory became created, since it's the only one there. But that's the reason why there is nothing to see & no install to actually become executed when you visit your /phpbb3/install folder.

Note I'm suggesting /forum instead of /phpbb3 for the directory name, but the directory name can be whatever you prefer. The name /phpbb3 as you have now may not age well, when your grandchildren upgrade the board to phpBB 4.0. 😉 Note I could have also said "use phpBB 3.2.6" now, but there are some known issue patches you would need to apply to that, and there is no reason you have to start quite that far into the deep end. If you install phpBB 3.2.5 now, phpBB 3.2.7 will be out soon enough, and you can tackle the update procedure then.

AlphaZulu

Post by AlphaZulu » Mon May 06, 2019 4:56 am

Thank you for continuing to follow up on this. However, I'm still somewhat confused. I unzipped the PHPBB installation folder onto my computer, and uploaded the entirety of its contents to a directory of my website.

I've provided a screenshot below. Under "ridforum," I have my "PHPBB3" directory, and it contains everything that was unzipped from the installation folder, including things like app.php and folders like assets, etc, as you indicated. Still, I'm unable to install. Judging from the screenshot, are you able to see if I'm missing anything? Thanks!

https://ibb.co/hK9DhXf

.m.

Post by .m. » Mon May 06, 2019 5:09 am

are you trying to install wordpress along with phpBB ?
if so, htaccess used for wordpress might be conflicting !

basically public_html folder is used as the main folder for website
in general,
public_html/forum consists of phpBB source files [extracted content]

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman » Mon May 06, 2019 5:27 am

What is the contents of public_html ?
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Mon May 06, 2019 6:08 am

first thing to do is stop using the cpanel file manager. get a real ftp program, learn how to use it to connect to your server.
now, let me make some assumptions;

since your domain name is ridforum.com, I assume you want your phpbb to be the main site so that if someone goes to ridforum.com they will see your board.

if so, then do this:

delete the folder named phpBB3

If you created the folder named forum that is above the public_html directory, remove it.

now, on your computer, unzip the download you get from here. you should have a folder named phpBB3

using your ftp, connect to the server then open the directory named pubic_html so that you see it on the right hand window.

now, the left hand window will show your computer. open the folder named phpBB3 so that you are looking at all the files and folders inside it.
'
now, you should be seeing all the files and folders of phpBB3 on the left side and the open public_html on the right side.

highlite all of the files and folders of phpbb on the left side, drag and drop them over to the right side.

once you have all the phpbb files and folders showing on the right side in the public_html directory you are set.
'
now, in your browser, go to ridforum.com/install

click the install button.

make sure you have already created a new blank database for phpbb to use and that you have made a note of the database servername, database name, database username and password .

fill in the blanks of the install process and you are done.
'
robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman » Mon May 06, 2019 7:32 am

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 6:08 am
using your ftp, connect to the server then open the directory named pubic_html so that you see it on the right hand window.
That may not be where it goes, I'm not all that familiar with it but cpanel creates sub folder for add on domains and subdomains in that directory. AFAIK the html_docs folder in that screen shot would be for the primary domain for the account. The ridforum.com folder would of been created as add on domain and likely has it's own html_doc folder.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison

EA117

Post by EA117 » Mon May 06, 2019 10:37 am

AlphaZulu wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 4:56 am
Under "ridforum," I have my "PHPBB3" directory, and it contains everything that was unzipped from the installation folder, including things like app.php and folders like assets, etc, as you indicated. Still, I'm unable to install.
It was a bad assumption on my part. When recommending that the files be uploaded again, I was expecting they would be uploaded to the same directory area where we can currently see a 3.1.9 installation .tgz file and the empty phpbb3/install directory. (http://www.ridforum.com/phpbb3/) If you click on that link I just wrote, you can see a "phpbb3-1-9-install-SgQWpE-5ZGN0TPr6A.tgz" file, a "backup-1556558534-config.php" file, the empty "install" subfolder, etc.

You need to find where that directory is within your hosting account. The /home4/ridforum directory shown in the screen shot is indeed "the main directory in your hosting account", but the actual web site(s) you manage with that hosting account are typically in a sub-folder of that main hosting account. As thecoalman is suggesting, it could be the "public_html" directory shown there *meaning /home4/ridforum/public_html), or it could be under the "ridforum.com" directory (/home4/ridforum/ridforum.com).

You'll know when you've found the correct area, because you'll see all those files you can currently see on the web site using http://www.ridforum.com/phpbb3/ or even just http://www.ridforum.com/. (The "phpbb3-1-9-install-SgQWpE-5ZGN0TPr6A.tgz" file, a "backup-1556558534-config.php" file, the empty "install" subfolder, etc.) Whichever folder you can find those files in is the folder your web server is currently using for www.ridforum.com. (Or if it still remains unclear or confusing, you can also call or chat your hosting provider, and have them clarify how the web servers are setup, and what directory you would need to upload a web application to for http://www.ridforum.com/.)

As Robert is explaining, once you have found that directory which is the root of your web site, if you want phpBB to be "what comes up as soon as people go to http://www.ridforum.com/" (instead of http://www.ridforum.com/forum or http://www.ridforum.com/phpbb), then you want to upload the files directly to the root of your web site. e.g. If the directory turns out to be /home4/ridforum/public_html, you would end up with /home4/ridforum/public_html/app.php, /home4/ridforum/public_html/adm, /home4/ridforum/public_html/install, etc., once the files are uploaded. Meaning you wouldn't create an additional subfolder level to upload the phpBB files to; you would upload them directly to whichever directory you determine is the root of your site.

Your upload of the phpBB3 directory shown in the screen shot "looks good" with all the files were transferred as intended; the only issue is that where they were uploaded is not the directory your hosting service actually serves the http://www.ridforum.com/ web content from.

AlphaZulu

Post by AlphaZulu » Tue May 07, 2019 4:16 am

Thanks for the help everyone. I seem to be making progress.

www.ridforum.com/install now allows me to continue with the installation process. I'm just confused now what to enter for the Database server hostname or DSN. "Localhost" does not appear to work for me.

.m.

Post by .m. » Tue May 07, 2019 4:25 am

^ you should have manually created a empty database with utf8 collation

that needs to be done using databases link at your webhost control panel
on that databases page you should be able to see the server details

a user should be also created to use the newly created database
and that user needs to be added to the database & all privileges
should be granted for the user to use that database.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”