Cannot host PHPBB on BlueHost, help please

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
EA117

Re: Cannot host PHPBB on BlueHost, help please

Post by EA117 » Tue May 07, 2019 5:52 am

This is one of those details the 1-click installer was trying to save you from, but which you'll have to perform yourself in order to install using the standard phpBB installation set.

As .m. indicated, creating a database, and creating a database user and password, and then assigning that database user full permission to the database you created, are all things you would do through your hosting account control panel. In whatever database management application your host provides, such as phpMyAdmin.

Once you have created those things, that's the information phpBB is asking you for in the Database Settings page of installation. It's not that entering a database name and database user & password in the phpBB installer will create those things; the phpBB installer is asking you for the information about the database and database user that you already created yourself.

The Database Settings page is kind of the hardest part; the rest of it goes easier and is more "tell us what you want to be created", as opposed to what's happening here on the Database Settings page.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Tue May 07, 2019 6:41 am

most hosts provide a control panel, normally cpanel. there is a database wizard in there that will allow you to create that database and user etc. quite easily.
as far as the database server, that info should be somewhere there as well, or, it will be in the email your host sent you when you first signed up for the account.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

AlphaZulu

Post by AlphaZulu » Thu May 09, 2019 11:15 pm

Ah, of course. Was simple enough. Looks like it installed just fine and is working well. Greatly appreciate the help!

AlphaZulu

Post by AlphaZulu » Fri May 10, 2019 10:56 pm

I am running into a few additional problems.

I did for a time have a forum, which included the default introduction forum post (something to the effect of a post saying "Your first forum.") However, now www.ridforum.com shows "Sorry but this board is currently unavailable," and I'm unable to login my admin user/password, or even register. This occurred after logging out of my ACP panel.

I've found the only way to remedy this problem, is to delete all the PHPBB files in my FTP, re-upload them, and reinstall. However, I run into the same problem when leaving the ACP, and am unable to re-login or register any users.

I also ran into problems trying to restore a SQL or GZ file backup from a forum I had under an older, different domain. Attempting to restore either the SQL or GZ file would return a message saying, "The selected file to backup is invalid." Playing around with the file permissions in the FTP did not remedy this either. Granted, the file sizes are 7,800 KB and 27,000 KB respectively, so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it.

EA117

Post by EA117 » Sat May 11, 2019 12:26 am

AlphaZulu wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 10:56 pm
"Sorry but this board is currently unavailable"
This is the symptom of the /install/ directory still being on your server. When you're finished setting up the board and are ready to let logins occur, the last step of the installation process is to remove the /install/ directory.

In the ACP, the General tab should be giving you a verbose warning/description that your board isn't available yet until you remove the /install/ directory. But for everyone else (and for you too, once you logged out of the board), the board just says "unavailable".

AlphaZulu

Post by AlphaZulu » Sat May 11, 2019 2:01 am

Ah thanks! I thought I had done that, but I guess I broke one of the files after the fact.

So I did that and appear to be able to log in and out just fine now, however, the SQL/GZ file restore issue remains. It still brings the error message, "The selected file to backup is invalid."

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sat May 11, 2019 2:39 am

exactly how are you trying to do the restore?
you can't restore a file like that from the admin panel.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

EA117

Post by EA117 » Sat May 11, 2019 7:04 am

AlphaZulu wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 2:01 am
So I did that and appear to be able to log in and out just fine now, however, the SQL/GZ file restore issue remains. It still brings the error message, "The selected file to backup is invalid."
Yes, this is an issue that was introduced in phpBB 3.2.6 and phpBB 3.2.7, and an otherwise valid database backup file (if you have them in the /store directory) cannot be selected for restore. To fix this issue in phpBB, you would need to apply the patched acp_database.php attached to this post, and overwrite the one you have in /includes/acp/.

The alternative is that you could still restore the database backup using your hosting account's phpMyAdmin or similar database tool, which can also restore those SQL backups if needed.

Restoring a backup from an "older, different domain" would ultimately replace your current phpBB database; meaning all forums and configurations you might have made thus far. Is that indeed what you're intending to do? Discard everything you have right now in the database, and restore an older phpBB's forums? If so, what version of phpBB does "older" mean?

harishkumar09

Post by harishkumar09 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:57 am

In my case, my Bluehost gives me the following error message:

You are running an unsupported PHP version. Please upgrade to PHP equal to or greater than 5.4.7 but less than 7.3-dev in order to install or update to phpBB 3.2

This after I had FTPed the files and accessed app.php in install folder.
Love & Regards,
Harish Kumar.

canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Post by canonknipser » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:34 am

The reason is clearly given in the error message: check your php version (NOT phpBB version)
Greetings, Frank
phpbb.de support team member
English is not my native language - no support via PM or mail
New arrival - Extensions and scripts for phpBB

harishkumar09

Post by harishkumar09 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:10 am

canonknipser wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:34 am
The reason is clearly given in the error message: check your php version (NOT phpBB version)
Yes canonknipser, I fully understand that. But given that Bluehost is recommended by the phpBB community, and I have an account there, what am I supposed to do? Can Bluehost downgrade the PHP version? Should I ask them for a solution to the problem?
Love & Regards,
Harish Kumar.

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:11 am

Yes and you may be able to do it yourself via cPanel.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:08 pm

Yes, you can do it yourself in cPanel.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:25 pm

My board's not broken, it just went peculiar

harishkumar09

Post by harishkumar09 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:01 am

Mick wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:11 am
Yes and you may be able to do it yourself via cPanel.
Thank you. And is there any particular version you wish to recommend? I am making fresh install of the latest phpBB 3.2.7.
Love & Regards,
Harish Kumar.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”