Cannot host PHPBB on BlueHost, help please

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
harishkumar09

Re: Cannot host PHPBB on BlueHost, help please

Post by harishkumar09 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:08 am

Hi all,
Thanks to your help and advice, I have successfully installed the phpBB 3.2.7 forum. However, during the installation process, the following questions were raised and I did not know what I should enter. Instead, I went with the default setting. Before posting here, I did search this forum for the installation guide and studied it. It does not mention all these other options I had to select. So I am just posting them and seeking your advice on
what should have been my choices. Please advice.

Image does not seem to be appearing for me. What about the other people? I used Image to embed URL of image.
Love & Regards,
Harish Kumar.

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:30 am

harishkumar09 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:08 am
Please advice.
First image: In most cases the automatic detected values are correct (ex: you're not using https so cookie_secure = NO)
Why the blacking out of the domain?
Second image: The message states that a task was skipped - because it wasn't needed (anymore).
Third image: why enter a name and password if you're not using SMTP ?
harishkumar09 wrote:
Image does not seem to be appearing for me. What about the other people? I used Image to embed URL of image.
Maybe that site doesn't allow offsite linking?
My board's not broken, it just went peculiar

harishkumar09

Post by harishkumar09 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:53 am

Thank you warmweer for your clarifications. So I guess I can go ahead and start using the board for the intended purposes?

cause it is still in testing phase and I did not want anyone visiting it as of now.

I agree that was stupid having selected NO for "use smtp server for email". But did I do the right thing in saying NO for "use smtp server for email". to be frank, I did not even understand it.
warmweer wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:30 am
harishkumar09 wrote:
Please advice.
First image: In most cases the automatic detected values are correct (ex: you're not using https so cookie_secure = NO)
Second image: The message states that a task was skipped - because it wasn't needed (anymore).
harishkumar09 wrote:
Maybe that site doesn't allow offsite linking?
Love & Regards,
Harish Kumar.

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:01 am

harishkumar09 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:53 am
cause it is still in testing phase and I did not want anyone visiting it as of now.
That's actually a very good reason.
harishkumar09 wrote:
I agree that was stupid having selected NO for "use smtp server for email". But did I do the right thing in saying NO for "use smtp server for email". to be frank, I did not even understand it.
If you don't know what SMTP is, then it's best to select NO. If the default sendmail works, so much the better. However if you're not using SMTP then don't leave a username and a password hanging in there.
My board's not broken, it just went peculiar

harishkumar09

Post by harishkumar09 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:15 pm

Thank you very much.
warmweer wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:01 am
harishkumar09 wrote:
That's actually a very good reason.
harishkumar09 wrote:
If you don't know what SMTP is, then it's best to select NO. If the default sendmail works, so much the better. However if you're not using SMTP then don't leave a username and a password hanging in there.
Love & Regards,
Harish Kumar.

harishkumar09

Post by harishkumar09 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:43 pm

Respected Friends,
I have done some research before asking this help and so please bear with me. I am unable to fully know how to do this and I don't want to make any mistakes as well.

I want my forum to be a closed forum. It is only available for my students.

So, how do to do this?

It should be something like this:

The student after registration, emails me. He tells me he has registered on my forum and gives me his username (and email address which he used for registration - though this may not be needed). And then I should go and authorize his registration. Till then, he cannot post anything. He cannot even view any of the forums. Only after my authorization, he can view and post in the forums.

This should also keep spam out.

How to get this done? Thanks in advance.
Love & Regards,
Harish Kumar.

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:58 pm

Set the group forum permission for the Guests and Bots Groups to No Access for all forums. In the ACP, User registration, set User activation to By admin. The emails will be sent automatically.

You have outlined how you think it should be done, so that is what I have answered. I think there are better ways that will result in less work for you. How many students do you have? Do you know their email addresses?
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

harishkumar09

Post by harishkumar09 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:22 am

Stevemaury, thank you.

I have around 10 students now and I can have their email addresses. That is not a problem.

Set the group forum permission for the Guests and Bots Groups to No Access for all forums. In the ACP, User registration, set User activation to By admin. The emails will be sent automatically.

By Guests, do you mean the visitors who stumble on to my forum and who are not registered users?
stevemaury wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:58 pm

You have outlined how you think it should be done, so that is what I have answered. I think there are better ways that will result in less work for you. How many students do you have? Do you know their email addresses?
Love & Regards,
Harish Kumar.

harishkumar09

Post by harishkumar09 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:29 am

Actually, I would like to have two sets of forums.

One of them is completely closed and is meant for registered paid students. Only they can see and post and reply.

The other set is open for viewing by guests, bots and unregistered students, and registered students whose registrations I have not approved. But nobody can post in these open forums, they can only see and read the information posted in them.

I guess I can put these two sets of forums in separate categories and make one "viewable only" by all. The other would be "viewable and postable to" by students whose registrations I have approved.
Love & Regards,
Harish Kumar.

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:15 pm

harishkumar09 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:22 am

By Guests, do you mean the visitors who stumble on to my forum and who are not registered users?
A Guest is anyone not logged in. Could be a member, could not be.

@harishkumar09 - please post further questions in your own topic. Start a separate topic for each separate issue.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

harishkumar09

Post by harishkumar09 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:09 pm

Thanks stevemaury. I will do as advised. I will start separate threads with my topics.
stevemaury wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:15 pm
harishkumar09 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:22 am

A Guest is anyone not logged in. Could be a member, could not be.

@harishkumar09 - please post further questions in your own topic. Start a separate topic for each separate issue.
Love & Regards,
Harish Kumar.

harishkumar09

Post by harishkumar09 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:09 am

Yes, stevemaury, I have done as you advised here:

viewtopic.php?f=556&t=2522491
Love & Regards,
Harish Kumar.

harishkumar09

Post by harishkumar09 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:33 pm

stevemaury wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:58 pm

In the ACP, User registration, set User activation to By admin. The emails will be sent automatically.

And then to authorize the user, I went to User Administration for that user, and then to Quick Tools and then chose Activate Account from the drop down list and then he became active and could post. I hope I did this right!

But I never got any email as an admin, notifying me of any registration, asking me to click any link to authorize the inactive registered user. I had to do it after I logged into the board.
Love & Regards,
Harish Kumar.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”