Updating to phpBB 3.2.6 and getting phpBB Debug error

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
P_I

Updating to phpBB 3.2.6 and getting phpBB Debug error

Post by P_I » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:42 pm

On my localhost replica testing system I tried the update from phpBB 3.2.5 to phpBB 3.2.6 using the full package and following Knowledge Base - Updating 3.2.x.

At steps 9 and 10
Knowledge Base - Updating 3.2.x wrote:
  • In your browser go to http://www.example.com/yourforum/install
  • Follow the steps to update the database and let that run to completion.
It succeeds but reports numerous [phpBB Debug] errors

Code: Select all

The installer has finished successfully
Take me to the ACP

The database update was successful.
[phpBB Debug] "Undefined index: u_" in file /var/www/html/forum/phpbb/auth/auth.php on line 479
[phpBB Debug] "Undefined index: u_" in file /var/www/html/forum/phpbb/auth/auth.php on line 481
[phpBB Debug] "Undefined index: u_" in file /var/www/html/forum/phpbb/auth/auth.php on line 479
[phpBB Debug] "Undefined index: u_" in file /var/www/html/forum/phpbb/auth/auth.php on line 481
The installer has finished successfully…

100%
100%

Installed Data: \phpbb\db\migration\data\v32x\v326; Time: 0.03 seconds
Installing Data: \phpbb\db\migration\data\v32x\v326.
Installed Schema: \phpbb\db\migration\data\v32x\v326; Time: 0.00 seconds
Installing Schema: \phpbb\db\migration\data\v32x\v326.
Installed Data: \phpbb\db\migration\data\v32x\smtp_dynamic_data; Time: 0.03 seconds
Installing Data: \phpbb\db\migration\data\v32x\smtp_dynamic_data.
Installed Schema: \phpbb\db\migration\data\v32x\smtp_dynamic_data; Time: 0.00 seconds
Installing Schema: \phpbb\db\migration\data\v32x\smtp_dynamic_data.
Installed Data: \phpbb\db\migration\data\v32x\v326rc1; Time: 0.04 seconds
Installing Data: \phpbb\db\migration\data\v32x\v326rc1.
Installed Schema: \phpbb\db\migration\data\v32x\v326rc1; Time: 0.00 seconds
Installing Schema: \phpbb\db\migration\data\v32x\v326rc1.
Installed Data: \phpbb\db\migration\data\v32x\disable_remote_avatar; Time: 0.07 seconds
Installing Data: \phpbb\db\migration\data\v32x\disable_remote_avatar.
Installed Schema: \phpbb\db\migration\data\v32x\disable_remote_avatar; Time: 0.00 seconds
Installing Schema: \phpbb\db\migration\data\v32x\disable_remote_avatar.
Skip “installer.update_filesystem.download_updated_files” task
Skip “installer.update_filesystem.update_files” task
Skip “installer.update_filesystem.show_file_status” task
Skip “installer.update_filesystem.diff_files” task
Skip “installer.update_filesystem.check_task” task
Skip “installer.obtain_data.update_ftp_settings” task
Skip “installer.obtain_data.update_files” task
Skip “installer.obtain_data.file_updater_method” task
I don't recall seeing this type of error when doing previous phpBB 3.2.x updates using the same update methodology. There are a number of fixes related to OAuth in the list of all issues fixed on our tracker at https://tracker.phpbb.com/issues/?filter=14992. Our board doesn't use this functionality.

Has anyone else updating from phpBB 3.2.5 to 3.2.6 seen these errors? Any suggestions on what to check/investigate? Most importantly, can these errors be ignored?
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Re: Updating to phpBB 3.2.6 and getting phpBB Debug error

Post by 3Di » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:05 pm

P_I wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:42 pm
P_I wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:42 pm
There are a number of fixes related to OAuth in the list of all issues fixed on our tracker at https://tracker.phpbb.com/issues/?filter=14992. Our board doesn't use this functionality.
The error above listed is not related to OAuth but Auth (permissions).
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
👨‍🏫 | Take a tour to | The Studio | 👨‍🏫

P_I

Post by P_I » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:22 pm

Thanks. Based on the release notes I had incorrectly connected the dots.

Any suggestions on how to debug the root cause of the debug message? Clearly something changed in 3.2.6 that caused the problem to surface because we haven’t changed permissions for a long time. The board dates from phpBB 2.x days.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

3Di
Former Team Member

Post by 3Di » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:59 pm

Looks like a broken 'u_' permission (user perm), try purging the cache and see if it happens again.

P_I

Post by P_I » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:31 am

3Di wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:59 pm
Looks like a broken 'u_' permission (user perm), try purging the cache and see if it happens again.
On my localhost testbed system I restored the phpBB 3.2.5 database, put the install directory back in place and manually deleted the contents of the cache folder. I then retried the update and it completed successfully this time without error. So that makes it one success and one potential failure.

Later this evening or tomorrow morning I want to return the localhost testbed back to phpBB 3.2.5, restore the 3.2.5 database and then confirm a functioning 3.2.5 system. Once that is complete I'm planning to repeat the update per my original post.

Lady_G

Post by Lady_G » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:17 pm

I am testing an upgrade from phpBB 3.2.5 to 3.2.6 on my localhost test environment and did not get the error. I underlined an important point:
P_I wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:31 am
...On my localhost testbed system I restored the phpBB 3.2.5 database, put the install directory back in place and manually deleted the contents of the cache folder.
How did you clear your cache the first time?

For my installation, clearing the cache from the command line as # php bin/phpbbcli.php cache:purge reports a success, but leaves content in the cache folder. There will always be a /cache/production folder that is not deleted.

I have stopped using the command line interpreter to clear /cache and always manually remove the files.

(Testing continues on localhost.)

3Di
Former Team Member

Post by 3Di » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:24 pm

Well, it's clearly explained here at point 6) https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... ating-32x/
Using FTP, delete the /vendor and /cache folders from the board's root folder on the host.
Moreover, if you think the CLI command is buggy pls report it at the tracker. Thanks.

Lady_G

Post by Lady_G » Wed May 01, 2019 1:22 am

I thought I had reported the bug before, but I cannot find it.

[PHPBB3-16038] phpBB Command Line Interpreter does not clear /cache directory has been created.

3Di
Former Team Member

Post by 3Di » Thu May 02, 2019 2:08 am

@Lady_G I will personally reply to that ticket asap, trying to be as exhaustive as possible.

In this case though such issue (if it is an issue at all) is not related to here.
The KB's update guide clearly states when and how to delete (not purge) the cache folder.. and from there go ahead.
You may argue it is the same sort of stuff.. but isn't. :)

P_I

Post by P_I » Thu May 02, 2019 2:59 am

P_I wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:31 am
3Di wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:59 pm
On my localhost testbed system I restored the phpBB 3.2.5 database, put the install directory back in place and manually deleted the contents of the cache folder. I then retried the update and it completed successfully this time without error. So that makes it one success and one potential failure.

Later this evening or tomorrow morning I want to return the localhost testbed back to phpBB 3.2.5, restore the 3.2.5 database and then confirm a functioning 3.2.5 system. Once that is complete I'm planning to repeat the update per my original post.
Took a bit longer than planned but I've done the above and could not reproduce the problem I first encountered. Since others have reported successful updates and I cannot reproduce the problem, I'm willing to consider this not a problem.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”