Sporadic non posting - post disappears on submit. Maybe Android issue?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Boardtalk.net
Name: Colette

Sporadic non posting - post disappears on submit. Maybe Android issue?

Post by Boardtalk.net »

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.2.5
What is your board's URL? widow [dot] ie/forum
Who do you host your board with? myhost [dot] ie
How did you install your board? I used the download package from phpBB.com
What is the most recent action performed on your board? Update from a previous version of phpBB3
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? Yes
Do you have any MODs installed? No
Do you have any extensions installed? Yes
What version of phpBB3 did you update from? phpBB 3.2.4
What extensions do you have installed?
Enabled Extensions
Adding a link to the header for my custom page
Add User
Audio Attachment Player
Auto Groups
Autologin
Automatic Topic Subscription
Board Announcements
Board Rules
CPFs for Auto Groups
Custom Registration Agreement
Delete my registration
Email To User On Group Status Change
External Links Open in New Window
Google Analytics
Hide Bots
Hide Username
Last Post Avatar
Lightbox
Mark Post Unread
Nv who was here
Pages
phpBB Media Embed PlugIn
PlanetStyles Flight Deck
PM Name Suggestions
Precise Similar Topics
Privacy policy
Private Message Box Status Bars
Recent Topics
Topic Author
Topic Preview

Disabled Extensions
Genders
Stop Forum Spam
VigLink 1.0.4
Application Form
Contact Admin
What styles do you currently have installed? Milk v2
What language(s) is your board currently using? British English
Which database type/version are you using? MySQL 5
What is your level of experience? New to PHP but not phpBB
What username can be used to view this issue? removed
What password can be used to view this issue? removed
I have a test area [link removed] you can try posting. Just remember to delete them after please
What actions did you take (updating your board; installing a MOD, style or extension; etc.) prior to this problem becoming noticeable? It seems from listening to our members, the issue has been ongoing for quite some time maybe a couple of years? It seems to only affect the same few sporadic members and not myself, hence I hadn't noticed there was an issue. Difficult to know when, where or how the issue came about.
Please describe your problem.
Three issues:
The First but hope I've fixed it: Members who it seems are only on Android phones had difficulty staying logged in if they didn't tick 'keep me logged in'. I updated the cookie settings as they were incorrect according to this article,
Knowledge Base - Fixing incorrect cookie settings

Second issue that need I help with resolving: Members write posts but post disappears after hitting submit, only happens every now and then. Drafts are not available for normal users and some users mentioned they have the 'keep me logged in' ticked. Those that don't have the 'keep me logged in' ticked are still logged in after loosing their post.
I had thought users were on a long time writing before submitting their post and their session had ended but this is not the case. Some users are on Android phones when this happens but can't say if its only happening on Android. I don't have an Android device so can't test.
It seems to happen when the member is writing a long post/reply. I did think fixing the cookie issue would fix the problem but its still happening and happening to several members at different times. I have never experience it.

Third issue but not that important - might be no harm to mention:
The 'Who is online' doesn't work correctly, mostly says logged in users are only on the index even though when I look at Google Analytics I can see users are moving through the site.
Generated by SRT Generator
Last edited by Boardtalk.net on Fri May 17, 2019 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scanialady
Name: Annette

Re: Sporadic non posting - post disappears on submit. Maybe Android issue?

Post by Scanialady »

...Members write posts but post disappears after hitting submit...
This could happen if someone else has sent a post during the first member was writing. Often the people don't notice there is a preview only and they have to send again, because a new post has been sent in the meantime.
My 2 cents: Whether an extension is in the CDB says nothing about its quality. It is more important to read the support topics for it. Better to avoid authors who do not answer support questions themselves, who do not update their stuff, and who do not fix bugs for years.
david63

Post by david63 »

One scenario that I have heard of when using a mobile network (Android) is that the mobile network changes IP address and this can cause the user to get logged out.I am not saying that this is the case here but it may be a possibility.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
Boardtalk.net

Post by Boardtalk.net »

Scanialady wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 1:52 pm
...Members write posts but post disappears after hitting submit...
This could happen if someone else has sent a post during the first member was writing. Often the people don't notice there is a preview only and they have to send again, because a new post has been sent in the meantime.
That's actually a good point, I didn't think of that. Makes sense as anyone who complains said they were writing a long post so someone could have posted before they managed to send their reply. I'll mention this to them and see what they say.
david63 wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 2:06 pm One scenario that I have heard of when using a mobile network (Android) is that the mobile network changes IP address and this can cause the user to get logged out.I am not saying that this is the case here but it may be a possibility.
That's very interesting. I've just tried testing this on my iPhone to see if I could replicate it. I logged into the forum on my phone, 'remember me' wasn't ticked and then turned off Wifi and used the phone's own internet and when I changed page on the forum I was logged out. So this must be what's happening.

At least I have some answers to give to people. Thanks folks, I'll update here if I hear anything back ;)
Boardtalk.net

Post by Boardtalk.net »

Login problems on Android phones - I think I've found a solution

Android users browse the internet on Chrome - if members have Lite mode enabled on their phone they won't be able to login. They get, 'submitted form invalid' each and every time. Chrome is using their own servers to feed your website to the user - something about speed :roll:

To test I asked a member to login with 'private mode' activated on their phone and hay presto, they can stay logged in. No problems and no issues. More info: Use less data and browse faster with Chrome’s Lite mode

The missing and disappearing posts - After Scanialady's suggestion about 'post review' I disabled it in all forums and not so much as a peep about missing posts anymore.

Thanks folks ;)

Google is just OCD about speed

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”