Spamhaus blocklist blocking me from using my own forum

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Big Mac
Name: David Shepheard

Spamhaus blocklist blocking me from using my own forum

Post by Big Mac » Fri May 03, 2019 6:17 pm

I've been blocked from getting onto my own forum twice recently, and a message has come up that says:
My own forum wrote:Your IP <IP address removed> has been blocked because it is blacklisted. For details please see http://www.spamhaus.org/query/bl?ip=1<IP address removed>.
Screen Shot 2019-05-03 at 18.07.50.jpg
The first time, was when I was using my smartphone as a mobile router, so that I could post on the forum I administer. I checked spamhaus and they actually blacklisted an IP address that gets handed out randomly to different mobile phone users.

I turned my wifi off and on and got a different IP address and was able to post.

The second time was today, when I was at my place of work, and using the public wifi here.

I can see the point of having a way to block spammers from registering (as I'm having to deal with a lot of spammers, when I'm at home using my admin account). But I can't see the point in automatically blacklisting users who have already passed our spamchecks.

And I especially do not want to have spamhause blocking our own moderators from getting onto our forums.

What do I need to do in the ACP, to make dial spamhaus back a bit, so that it doesn't stop authenticated users from posting?

The only thing I can find in the 3.2 documentation is:
phpBB 3.2 Rhea Documentation wrote:Check IP against DNS Blackhole List:

You are also able to check the users' IP addressesagainst DNS blackhole lists. These lists areblacklists that list bad IP addresses. Enabling this setting will allow your board to check yourusers' IP addresses and compare them against theDNS blackhole lists. Currently, the DNS blacklistservices on the sites spamcop.net, dsbl.org, andspamhaus.org.
That seems like the ACP only turns the entire thing on or off.

EDIT: I also got blocked from posting this topic from my place of work and have had to post it from a train (using my smartphone as a router).
David "Big Mac" Shepheard

canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Re: Spamhaus blocklist blocking me from using my own forum

Post by canonknipser » Fri May 03, 2019 6:53 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 6:17 pm
EDIT: I also got blocked from posting this topic from my place of work
If it also happen when posting here and not only on your own board, I would assume that you device (notebook?) has a IP-blocker installed.
Greetings, Frank
phpbb.de support team member
English is not my native language - no support via PM or mail
New arrival - Extensions and scripts for phpBB

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Fri May 03, 2019 7:57 pm

I have had exactly the same problem in the past when I was away on holiday and the IP address I was on was blocking me posting on this board. I used the Spamhaus site to unblock that IP address - it took a couple of days but it was OK after that.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Post by canonknipser » Fri May 03, 2019 8:31 pm

david63 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 7:57 pm
when I was away on holiday
On holiday in the UK or outside? If it is the first maybe some of the UK providers are famous for spammers and therefore some of their IP ranges are blocked

BTW: never had problems when I was in Scotland the two weeks around easter ;)
Greetings, Frank
phpbb.de support team member
English is not my native language - no support via PM or mail
New arrival - Extensions and scripts for phpBB

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Fri May 03, 2019 8:43 pm

canonknipser wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 8:31 pm
david63 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 7:57 pm
when I was away on holiday
On holiday in the UK or outside? If it is the first maybe some of the UK providers are famous for spammers and therefore some of their IP ranges are blocked

BTW: never had problems when I was in Scotland the two weeks around easter ;)
It was when I was on a cruise and using a satellite connection which was virtually impossible to be used for spamming
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”