Missing Style

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
JssXXJss

Missing Style

Post by JssXXJss » Mon May 06, 2019 6:27 pm

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.2.7
What is your board's URL? www.tseros.com/forum
Who do you host your board with? godaddy
How did you install your board? I used a tool provided by my host
What is the most recent action performed on your board? Post, unless you mean in the ACP, 2 nights ago I changed some ranks
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? No
Do you have any MODs installed? Yes
What styles do you currently have installed? None now, but I was using the Milk sytle
What language(s) is your board currently using? English
Which database type/version are you using? I don't know
What is your level of experience? Mediocre, at best.
When did your problem begin? Just 10 minutes ago, was working fine up until then, and I haven't been in ACP all day.
Please describe your problem. Styles is missing.

(Customise tab. No Styles.)

(The theme in use just moments ago, not logged in to admin account.)

(The theme now, default.)

(GoDaddy CPanel showing style directory.)

(Log. Looks like there was an auto update that kicked styles out?)

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Missing Style

Post by KevC » Mon May 06, 2019 6:36 pm

It's likely to be caused by this
JssXXJss wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 6:27 pm
How did you install your board? I used a tool provided by my host
We don't fully support those host installers because they update without you knowing about it and wipe out all the changes you've made.

Best bet is to contact godaddy and ask them to roll it back to before the update and ask them to turn off the auto updater.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Mon May 06, 2019 6:38 pm

Have you tried going into your admin user's UCP and switching your style?

JssXXJss

Post by JssXXJss » Tue May 07, 2019 5:29 am

Godaddy said it was pushed through by phpBB, and they only have emergency restore from data a week ago. I'm also very new and didn't pay them to back up my boards, nor do I know how to do that. This is a pet and passion product, and I'm not familiar with the ins and outs. They can't disable auto updates because I'm on a shared server with more people.

I also am not sure why I may be the only one experiencing this issue because I don't see any other posts on it. :cry:

They told me to hire a developer to fix it, but I don't even know where to start with that.

And I'm trying not to be irritated, because I'm self learning, but I don't necessarily want to pay for a professional for something that broke and wasn't my fault and I don't know how to turn to. The only thing that was my fault was not paying for back up I guess, but I didn't think something would inherently break like my literal inability to have a style on my website which is part of the product, and I'd have no one specifically to reach out to.

My screenshot in the op shows only extensions in my customize tab. Styles are just gone. And I don't know what to do....

JssXXJss

Post by JssXXJss » Tue May 07, 2019 5:38 am

Brf wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 6:38 pm
Have you tried going into your admin user's UCP and switching your style?
I'm trying that now, but I don't know where it is. I've never had to look for this before.

Those are spots I assumed it would be?

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Tue May 07, 2019 6:06 am

JssXXJss wrote:
What styles do you currently have installed? None now, but I was using the Milk sytle
As you have said in another post you bought a style (Milk). If that is so then (a) you should still have the original files and (b) you should be able to get an update to the latest version. Armed with these then just re-install the style in the same way that you did originally.
JssXXJss wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 5:29 am
Godaddy said it was pushed through by phpBB
That is a lie - phpBB never "pushes" any update through automatically - all they do is announce that there is a new version available and allow everyone to update when they choose to do so.
JssXXJss wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 5:29 am
They can't disable auto updates because I'm on a shared server with more people.
As I understand it there is an option in your Control Panel where you can do that yourself (this is pure hearsay as I have never used Godaddy's, or anyone else's one click install)
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

JssXXJss

Post by JssXXJss » Tue May 07, 2019 6:14 am

david63 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 6:06 am
JssXXJss wrote:
As you have said in another post you bought a style (Milk). If that is so then (a) you should still have the original files and (b) you should be able to get an update to the latest version. Armed with these then just re-install the style in the same way that you did originally.
Thanks, David! My issue is that I literally cannot install a style in the Admin panel.

My option for the Styles is completely removed.

EA117

Post by EA117 » Tue May 07, 2019 6:26 am

I'm on GoDaddy and using their Installatron and configured for automatic updates, but I've never seen them actually try and push a new version until after it's been out for at least eight or twelve weeks. I've almost always ended up being ready to update manually myself, before GoDaddy / Installatron has ever actually tried to push the next version to me, even though I'm configured to allow them to do that.

But "I'm on a shared server with more people" (implying what you/they update phpBB to might somehow affect everyone else, or that at minimum the Installatron settings are somehow "shared") is not something I'm familiar with on GoDaddy. I thought I was on GoDaddy's rock-bottom, cheapest shared hosting service, but it sounds like maybe you found one level lower. 😜 Or maybe your GoDaddy support agent was just telling you stories.

(EDIT: Just looked at my GoDaddy Installatron panel in order to show david63 a screen shot, and lo and behold they actually are offering phpBB 3.2.7 already. They hung back for months on 3.2.5, and for months on 3.2.4, and every version since 3.2.2. But I agree, they are pushing phpBB 3.2.7 "already". Guess I need to buckle-up and hang on for the ride.)

Annnnny way, I don't have a good explaination for why the "STYLES MANAGEMENT" and "LANGUAGE MANAGEMENT" sections are missing from your ACP Customize tab. But my first and second guess would be that it relates to one of the extensions that is installed, and that one or more of the extensions are unexpectedly affected if not outright incompatible with phpBB 3.2.7. (Regardless of why phpBB 3.2.7 has shown up without asking you first.)

So I would try disabling those extensions you can see on ACP Customize; one at a time to see what the impact to the ACP Customize tab is. If you identify one which seems to be the culprit, research whether there is a phpBB 3.2.7-compatible update for that extension, and go through the extension update process. You should really check that for all of the installed extensions, but start with whichever one seems to be causing issues, if disabling one of them allowed the ACP Customize tab to return to normal.

That style.cfg you're showing at the root of the /styles directory is also not expected. Not that I know this would cause any undefined behavior in phpBB, but maybe go ahead and remove the style.cfg and the Milk_v2.zip that are sitting there, just in case. Also, browse into your /styles/proSilver and /styles/Milk_v2 directories and just make sure that the contents of those styles do in fact appear to still be there. (As opposed to being empty directories now, or other unexpected content.)

If none of that pans out or identifies what's wrong, my own next step would be to download your current board's files over FTP, and then compare what you downloaded against the official phpBB 3.2.7 installation set you download from here on phpBB.com. I've actually done that back when I allowed an Installatron-delivered phpBB version to be installed, and I've never had a difference between "official and Installatron" phpBB files. But maybe their update attempt actually failed part way through or something, and has left you in some "partial 3.2.5 and partial 3.2.7" state.
Last edited by EA117 on Tue May 07, 2019 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Tue May 07, 2019 6:34 am

JssXXJss wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 6:14 am
My issue is that I literally cannot install a style in the Admin panel.
Then how did you install the Milk style in the first place?

Do you have the "Can manage styles" permission?
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Tue May 07, 2019 6:51 am

I would bet that all of this is caused by the auto update installatron mess.

the way to fix this is to make a backup of the files and the database and then follow this exactly and in order:
Knowledge Base - Updating 3.2.x

be exact and you should have everything back as it should be.

don't believe anything godaddy support tells you. any time you have to contact them ask for level two support. the ones that answer the phone/chat/email don't know how to do anything but read the manual to you.

my suggestion would be to get a decent host as soon as you can.

also, david's question about your permissions is a good idea. just because you are an admin and can access the admin panel does not mean that you have all the admin permissions. look up your username and see if you are set as a founder.

luck,
robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

EA117

Post by EA117 » Tue May 07, 2019 7:06 am

david63 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 6:06 am
As I understand it there is an option in your Control Panel where you can do that yourself (this is pure hearsay as I have never used Godaddy's, or anyone else's one click install)
For what it's worth david63 and JssXXJss, this is what the configuration looks like for me, where the Installatron-managed phpBB instance can be configured for "no updates", "minor updates" or "everything".

installatron.png

And it turns out, apparently right at the same time they updated JssXXJss' board, they had already updated mine too. By the time I started looking, my board was already running phpBB 3.2.7, as updated by Installatron. I hadn't even noticed until you raised the topic.

JssXXJss

Post by JssXXJss » Tue May 07, 2019 4:58 pm

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 6:51 am
also, david's question about your permissions is a good idea. just because you are an admin and can access the admin panel does not mean that you have all the admin permissions. look up your username and see if you are set as a founder.
It was exactly this. I logged in to another admin account (It's a RP board, so it's my DM account I first set up and not the admin account of my character which is separate), and it's totally showing for one and not the other. It didn't use to do this, and now I feel just silly.

Thanks, team! I appreciate all the help and comments. I'm going to go through and look at y'alls advice for updates and backups. That was one scare too many.

EA117

Post by EA117 » Tue May 07, 2019 8:20 pm

david63 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 6:34 am
Do you have the "Can manage styles" permission?
Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 6:51 am
Good call, guys. Wasn't registering for me that an admin managing up until now suddenly would have lost their admin. And even if it had, I would have probably still been wrong, disbelieving that the phpBB 3.2.7 update would have "done that." But always the simplest explanation.

For what it's worth, went ahead and confirmed that the diff of the phpBB 3.2.7 update that Installatron pushed to our board is the same as phpBB production code. They did modify the CLI update handler (/phpbb/install/console/command/update/update.php) to use a fixed set of parameters for invoking "update database only" rather than passing those settings through the config-file parameter. Which I'm presuming was just the easiest of multiple ways they could have automated that. So I'm happy with our "surprise" phpBB 3.2.7 update at this end, too.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”