auto update timeout

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
millipede

auto update timeout

Post by millipede » Mon May 06, 2019 9:14 pm

I did it again... From 3.2.2 to 3.2.5 I tried the automatic updater and got stuck with a timeout. Here's that discussion.

I'm going from 3.2.5 to 3.2.7 today and decided to try the automatic update package, again.
Last time, lumpy said
things changed a few versions ago and the auto update has problems as you have seen.
And I was told that doing a full install was the recommended method. The problem is that I prefer the ease of the auto update/ftp method AND I've modified colors and such. When you go to download the automatic update package it says
This update package supplies the automatic updater, which is capable of updating modified installations. This is the package that most users should download to update their forums. If you have made no changes, you can use the 'Changed Files' package instead.
The auto update has known problems? Just for some people? And, if there are known problems, are they being addressed? I'm not complaining as much as it might sound(tone is lost of course on the internet, sometimes) but it's a little painful to see something say "here, your board is modded? this is what you ought to use..." and then find out that it is known to cause some people problems.
I probably should have asked about it BEFORE trying it again but, it used to work with no problems for me before. Would be great if there was a disclaimer or something.

So... now that I got started with the auto update and am stuck... should I just go through that old topic and do whatever I did to get it to work last time?
I uploaded the Install folder, went to it, started the process of updating things, it showed which files would be changed etc... then... timeout. Can't do anything else at that point.
If I do the full package then all the modifications I've done to layout and color are lost.
Saw in another discussion that downloading the changed files was the best option and shouldn't cause problems as there were no changes in the color files.
So, is that the best route? And, what do I need to do now to undo anything I might have started with uploading and trying to start the auto package? I just want to do it correctly and not just try different things til something works or makes it worse... HA.

Most important thing is getting my board updated and running again... but after that, what happened that I can't get the auto update process to work these days?

hurghanico

Re: auto update timeout

Post by hurghanico » Mon May 06, 2019 10:19 pm

3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di » Mon May 06, 2019 10:39 pm

Try adding these lines to your .htaccess file (in board root)

At the very top AFTER

Code: Select all

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine on
ADD

Code: Select all

RewriteRule .* - [E=noabort:1]
RewriteRule .* - [E=noconntimeout:1]
Save file and try.
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
✒️ Black Friday 2019 @ The Studio ▪️◾️

millipede

Post by millipede » Mon May 06, 2019 10:45 pm

Thanks guys. I went to the link and followed a few suggestions. Deleted the two files in the Store folder and also tried a different method(on my 3rd or 4th try) by selecting to install via direct file access rather than the ftp that time. Not sure which of those things helped the most but it all worked in a matter of seconds... no timeout. So I'm back in business.
Thanks again.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Tue May 07, 2019 2:01 am

glad you got it sorted.

here is some tips for the next time.

do NOT use the auto update.

so not use the changed files.

use the full package.

you should not be editing any of the php files.

there are extensions that take care of most anything you would want to edit for.

if you are editing the style files for colors and layout etc. that is fine.
however, if you are editing prosilver you should really create a child style instead of editing prosilver.

that way, when it is time to update you simply replace all the old files with new ones except for the ones mentioned in the instructions.

then, your custom style will just have to be updated with the few files it contains if they require any updates at all.

the instructions for updating the custom styles are always made available.

Knowledge Base - Updating 3.2.x

update files based on prosilver
how to create custom/child styles

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

hurghanico

Post by hurghanico » Tue May 07, 2019 2:39 pm

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 2:01 am
the instructions for updating the custom styles are always made available.

Knowledge Base - Updating 3.2.x

update files based on prosilver
how to create custom/child styles

robert
Thanks Robert for the useful advices and links

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”