Inactive User Profile Link (3.1.9)

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
michaelvlong

Inactive User Profile Link (3.1.9)

Post by michaelvlong » Wed May 08, 2019 2:27 pm

I have a client that I recently reinstalled their forum from an old backup (dated Feb 2017). Here's the steps I took:
- I used the cpanel installation tool to install phpbb version 3.1.9.
- I then wrote a custom script to restore from specific tables using the backup into the newly installed database.

The forum appears to be working normally, with one exception. When you click on the username (in the header area) to show the dropdown list of options, there is an option for "user profile". This link is not working.
UserProfileLink.png
There is a work around by selecting "User Control Panel" then clicking the profile tab, but the client is concerned that not having the profile link working will be confusing to the site users.

Is there a way for me to fix this link or remove it from the drop down list?

david63
Name: David Wood

Re: Inactive User Profile Link (3.1.9)

Post by david63 » Wed May 08, 2019 3:16 pm

Two points I would make:

michaelvlong wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 2:27 pm
I used the cpanel installation tool to install phpbb version 3.1.9.
Those types of installation are not supported here as they use some modified files.

2. Support for phpBB 3.1 has ceased apart from help with upgrading to 3.2
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Wed May 08, 2019 5:54 pm

and I would add number 3. you should not be only restoring parts of the database. you should always restore the whole thing. then, you update/upgrade it using the builtin function. then, if there are things you do not want, you can remove them.

robert
I am going to be out of town and off line for a week . see ya when I get back.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman » Wed May 08, 2019 10:32 pm

michaelvlong wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 2:27 pm
- I used the cpanel installation tool to install phpbb version 3.1.9.
- I then wrote a custom script to restore from specific tables using the backup into the newly installed database.
That version is out of date and no longer supported here. Many tables are interconnected so you can't just simply pick and choose which ones to restore.

Populate the database from the full backup. Download the latest copy of phpBB from here and follow the directions for upgrading.

https://www.phpbb.com/downloads/

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman » Wed May 08, 2019 10:34 pm

david63 wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 3:16 pm
Those types of installation are not supported here as they use some modified files.
That is not necessarily true however support can be problematic or sporadic for those intallations.

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Thu May 09, 2019 7:44 am

thecoalman wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 10:34 pm
support can be problematic or sporadic for those intallations
And, if the OP insists on using this kind of installation, they should speak to their host in the first place as it’s their software.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

michaelvlong

Post by michaelvlong » Thu May 09, 2019 3:35 pm

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 5:54 pm
and I would add number 3. you should not be only restoring parts of the database. you should always restore the whole thing. then, you update/upgrade it using the builtin function. then, if there are things you do not want, you can remove them.

robert
FYI:
I had first tried using a full backup into the 3.19 installation, but that did not provide an operational forum. That is why I went with copying specific user data tables instead which did work with the exception of what I noted in this post.

I do understand that I am working with an obsolete version and I do appreciate the constructive pointers provided to my post. :D I was called into this project after the damage had already been done ... and the intent is to ultimately upgrade sometime soon. Having this older version right now is merely keeping what the customer had in place before their recent domain move.

Thanks! This post may be topic may be closed!

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman » Sat May 18, 2019 10:32 am

michaelvlong wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 3:35 pm
FYI:
I had first tried using a full backup into the 3.19 installation, but that did not provide an operational forum.
The database version has match the version of phpBB files you are using. Part of the upgrade process is upgrading the database to current version, changes to the database between versions can range from minor to significant. The files that update the database are included with the download package from here. In the config table it will tell you what version it is.

To reiterate copying tables like you are doing is a very bad idea. It may appear to work but you can run into some severe issues down the line.

If you want to insure stability and fully functioning forum going forward you should download the latest version from here. Use the full original backup and follow the instructions for upgrading. The issues you are potentially creating are not some minor problem that are easily fixed.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”