Issues upgrading from 3.0.14

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Scorpy

Re: Issues upgrading from 3.0.14

Post by Scorpy » Sat May 11, 2019 10:16 am

AYBG wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 8:29 am
Any ideas on how to resolve this error screen I get when I create the index for MySQL Fulltext in the search index section?
Perhaps you are using the wrong type of table. Are you using InnoDB? The only table type that supports FULLTEXT is MyISAM.

AYBG

Post by AYBG » Sat May 11, 2019 11:29 am

Hmm

UK users: visit my forum for free tickets to film previews near you, as well as film chat!

AYBG

Post by AYBG » Sat May 11, 2019 11:32 am

Could it be anything to do with this?

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=2201041

My phpbb version is listed as 5.6.40

Database server: MySQL(i) 10.1.38-MariaDB-cll-lve
UK users: visit my forum for free tickets to film previews near you, as well as film chat!

AYBG

Post by AYBG » Sat May 11, 2019 3:34 pm

Right now for other reasons I'm comparing my site's phpbb_config table to that in a fresh installation of 3.2.7

And I notice that the config search_type has the value

Code: Select all

\phpbb\search\fulltext_mysql
as opposed to

Code: Select all

\phpbb\search\fulltext_native
on the fresh installation.

Worth changing to match vanilla?

I'm also finding several rows in the former that don't exist in the latter, and don't obviously belong to an installed extension:

auth_oauth_x *8
enable_queue_trigger
enable_update_hashes
feed_overall_topics
img_imagick
jab_allow_self_signed
jab_verify_peer(_name)
queue_trigger_posts
reparse_lock
smtp_allow_self_signed
smtp_verify_peer(_name)
text_reparser_x *10

Are these safe to delete?

I've cross-referenced with my backup database for my board at 3.0.14, and the entries in red above are the ones exist there too. The remainders must have come from either a swapped-in 3.1.12 phpbb_config (see below), or from extensions. So I guess it's the red ones that I'm really interested in. Would the queue_trigger entries relate to the moderation queue? Or the board's email queue perhaps?

I'm looking through the file because I'm trying to solve an ongoing issue of certain members rarely/never receiving email notifications, whereas everything functions correctly on fresh installations. Someone on this thread found that swapping in a vanilla phpbb_config fixed the issue, and indeed, doing so immediately released missing email notifications to my test account, before I added back in the missing rows and the problem started again.

Scorpy

Post by Scorpy » Sat May 11, 2019 4:49 pm

Try to change all your columns to utf8_general_ci (the default UTF-8 collation). All columns of a FULLTEXT index must have not only the same character set but also the same collation.

AYBG

Post by AYBG » Mon May 13, 2019 8:41 pm

Sorted, thanks!

I ran that change and purged the cache, but it had no effect

Then I finally took notice of the text saying you should only have one index at a time, deleted the native fulltext index that had carried across from 3.0.14, and hey presto! Took a few runs to finish after timing out at first, (and another error screen about a duplicate column or row, didn't need to act on that) and it got there on the third.

If anyone has this same issue in future, it might be that it was the conjunction of Scorpy's suggestion and my final action that fixed it, but more likely I think is that I am simply an idiot. Delete the existing index first.

To give people a chance of seeing this via search results:

SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]
Column 'post_text' cannot be part of FULLTEXT index [1283]
ALTER TABLE phpbb_posts

Scorpy

Post by Scorpy » Tue May 14, 2019 7:17 am

Well done, I am glad you could manage it. :)

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”