Board works in Edge but not Chrome

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Kwiksol

Board works in Edge but not Chrome

Post by Kwiksol » Fri May 10, 2019 7:14 pm

I just installed PHPBB using my hosting provider's one click option and it works fine in Edge, but in Chrome I get a 500 error. What's the trick?

https://truthforums.net/phpbb/index.php

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Board works in Edge but not Chrome

Post by KevC » Fri May 10, 2019 7:36 pm

Kwiksol wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 7:14 pm
What's the trick?
Not to use your hosts version.
We didn't make that so we're limited in what we can help you with and those versions are known to have several issues which your hosts (who should help you as it's their software) are unlikely to solve.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

EA117

Post by EA117 » Fri May 10, 2019 7:52 pm

Kwiksol wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 7:14 pm
I just installed PHPBB using my hosting provider's one click option and it works fine in Edge, but in Chrome I get a 500 error. What's the trick?

https://truthforums.net/phpbb/index.php
My expectation is that the web server is returning 500 to everything; it's "working in Edge" only because Edge is still serving you a cached view from before the web application broke and started returning 500. And as soon as you CRTL-F5 refresh, Edge will show you the same failure. I get 500 from your web server in both Edge and Chrome, for what it's worth.

Anything else that was added before the failures began, like a style or extension? Or maybe something that was restored, if you're actually moving to a new host and restoring the database from a previous board?

Identifying the cause of the current 500 response will involve looking at the Apache error log. Where you find that depends on your hosting service; might be an "error_log" file in your web site's main directory, or might be something you can only see in your hosting account control panel.

Ultimately the log is going to tell you about some sort of PHP error, configuration issue, or inaccessible path that prevented the Apache server from being able to respond at all to the web page request. i.e. We're not talking about a phpBB-specific error log; the web server itself failed and gave a 500 error instead.

Kwiksol

Post by Kwiksol » Fri May 10, 2019 8:11 pm

You're getting a 500 error on Edge also? Well, that's interesting because I've been working in Edge for the last 30 minutes or so setting up forums and categories and even after a CTRL-F5 I still have no problems in Edge.

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Fri May 10, 2019 8:23 pm

I was also getting a 500-error in Edge.
Also, your Cookie Domain is set to truthforums.net and it should be .truthforums.net with leading dot. You also need your secure cookie set if you are using https

</Solidjeuh>
Name: Andy Dm

Post by </Solidjeuh> » Fri May 10, 2019 8:26 pm

Same in Firefox. White page. See the server error logs.
Register a free account & Play!!
~~~ https://www.solidjeuh.be ~~~
Have a secret? --> https://www.tellyoursecrets.eu

EA117

Post by EA117 » Fri May 10, 2019 8:27 pm

Kwiksol wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 8:11 pm
You're getting a 500 error on Edge also? Well, that's interesting because I've been working in Edge for the last 30 minutes or so setting up forums and categories and even after a CTRL-F5 I still have no problems in Edge.
Yeah, hitting the front page URL you linked gives a 500 to me from Microsoft Edge, Chrome and Firefox. Maybe only front page is broken, or only the logged-out front page is broken, since that's all I can get to. A reason for "why 500?" will still be in the Apache error log regardless, since the 500 is definitely occurring in addition to your continued success accessing ACP.

Kwiksol

Post by Kwiksol » Fri May 10, 2019 10:08 pm

Oh, ya it could be the logged out page. Anyway, never mind. I was also having trouble getting the forums, sub forums and categories to work properly. It seems a hot mess to be honest. I'm going to be using MyBB instead, I got that set up in less than 30 minutes. It just works.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Sat May 11, 2019 10:29 am

So does phpBB if you don't use the host installer as advised.
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

EA117

Post by EA117 » Sat May 11, 2019 3:22 pm

KevC wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 10:29 am
So does phpBB if you don't use the host installer as advised.
It also falls down for a number of known reasons, even when you do use the phpBB documented installation process.

Hence an attempt to identify what the actual problem was.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Sat May 11, 2019 3:24 pm

Using the official files at least eliminates some of the initial and potentially future problems before trying to work anything else out though. It's incorrect of the OP to be critical on here of software that isn't ours.
Cheap UK Hosting

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”