Update from 3.0.14

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
servetas

Update from 3.0.14

Post by servetas » Sat May 11, 2019 7:54 pm

I own a phpBB board which is using 3.0.14. I know it is quiet old... I am trying to update it to 3.2 without any success.

First of all, I tried this solution but using phpBB 3.1: https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... /upgrade3/ I tried to run the database update but kept getting the following errors and many many more (the below part is an example) but I was getting a lot of errors like that.

Code: Select all

Unknown column 'style_path' in 'field list' [1054]  SQL  SELECT style_path, style_id FROM bb_styles  BACKTRACE
Then, I tried this: viewtopic.php?f=466&t=2360366&start=15

As soon as I tried to run the database cleaner, it kept removing all of my database tables after marking them as "Extra".

Could you please let me know if there is an easy way to upgrade my forum to the very latest phpBB version? I do not really know a lot about phpBB, or basically I do not remember a lot, so I hope that you will be as descriptive as possible. Thanks in advance for the support. (y)

janus_zonstraal

Re: Update from 3.0.14

Post by janus_zonstraal » Sun May 12, 2019 9:22 am

Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sun May 12, 2019 3:50 pm

are you sure the database cleaner was telling you that the normal phpbb tables were extra? I have never seen it do that.

if you had a lot of MODs installed on your 3.0 board the cleaner would tell you that all those related tables were extra. that is what it is supposed to do and you are supposed to let it remove them. that is the point of the cleaner.

run it again and take a screenshot of the page and post it here so we can let you know.

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

EA117

Post by EA117 » Sun May 12, 2019 8:41 pm

It was really bugging me because this issue sounded so familiar. I think I finally found the issue I was recalling.

One thing that would fit with "the STK is declaring all of my live tables as extra" would be if the STK was using a different database table prefix than your actual live board. e.g. If the STK was looking at tables prefixed with "phpbb_somethingelse_", and thereby considered all your "real tables" that are prefixed with "phpbb_" as "extra".

But that "doesn't make any sense", because there isn't a separate "what is the database table prefix" configuration for the STK. The STK reads the database table prefix configuration from $table_prefix = in the config.php, same as the actual live phpBB board. So they should both, by definition, be using identical table prefixes when accessing the database.

And technically they are using the same prefix. But an issue was noticed that the STK performs literal name compares against the enumerated tables, in a way the SQL server itself wouldn't have done. And even when the actual SQL server would have handled table names in a case-insensitive manner, the STK in it's own evaluation of the table names does care about case-sensitivity.

So look in one of your current database backup files, or in a live view of your database using phpMyAdmin or similar database tool, and check what the actual case of the table name prefixes are. e.g. phpbb_config, phpbb_posts, etc.

And then compare that to the $table_prefix = configuration in your config.php. If the configured table prefix is something that is different only by alphabetic case, such as $table_prefix = 'phpBB_' instead of $table_prefix = 'phpbb_', change the config.php to match the actual table prefixes you see in the table names created in the database.

servetas

Post by servetas » Thu May 16, 2019 9:48 am

Thanks for your replies. I reuploaded STK and it still marked all of my database tables as extra. I did not proccess the clean up cause I knew that it was going to delete all of them. The prefix of my database is "bb_" and it is correctly set up in my config.php. You can see the list here:
Στιγμιότυπο 2019-05-16, 12.45.50 μμ.png
Στιγμιότυπο 2019-05-16, 12.46.02 μμ.png
Στιγμιότυπο 2019-05-16, 12.46.12 μμ.png
I did not run the STK and I processed with the update. As soon as I run the update to update the database only I got the following error:
Στιγμιότυπο 2019-05-16, 12.24.17 μμ.png
I made a fresh phpBB 3.2 installation and copied the bb_styles table to proceed but then I got this error:
Στιγμιότυπο 2019-05-16, 12.37.39 μμ.png
I do not have any mods installed into my system as far as I am concerned. A few screenshots from my administration environment to check the versioning etc can be found below:
Στιγμιότυπο 2019-05-16, 12.47.54 μμ.png
Στιγμιότυπο 2019-05-16, 12.48.10 μμ.png

servetas

Post by servetas » Thu May 16, 2019 9:50 am

In addition, I am attaching a screenshot from my config.php file
Attachments
Στιγμιότυπο 2019-05-16, 12.50.14 μμ.png

EA117

Post by EA117 » Thu May 16, 2019 10:56 am

I can understand your conclusion based on the screen shots of STK declaring tables "Extra" and the screen shot of your config.php. Both definitely are using a lower-case "bb_" prefix, as would be expected, even though the prefix or table name as a whole probably isn't case-sensitive for the SQL server.

What we're still "missing in evidence" though is what is the actual prefix on the tables in your database. The STK "Extra" screen shot isn't what confirms that, because STK is the problem in our suspected root cause. e.g. We need to be looking at "live view" of the actual database table names in phpMyAdmin, to know "how it actually appears in the database", by a database tool that doesn't know and doesn't care about config.php settings.

I originally suggested even just looking in an .SQL database backup created by the phpBB ACP database backup function, but I'm thinking now that probably wouldn't be a good choice. Because phpBB is choosing tables based on the config.php-configured prefix, and so might still be showing "lower case bb_", even if the actual tables in the SQL server have an upper-case "BB_" prefix.

Can you use your hosting control panel to view the database table names independently of phpBB, such as with phpMyAdmin? Example screen shot attached, just in case that's not something you've seen or had to use yet. In this view phpMyAdmin is showing you "what's actually in the database", and nothing that was "expected because of how the config.php is configured."

phpmyadmin.png

servetas

Post by servetas » Thu May 16, 2019 11:03 am

Thanks for pointing that out. You can find my phpmyadmin screenshot attached below. I am attaching all of the list of my tables.
Attachments
Στιγμιότυπο 2019-05-16, 2.00.30 μμ.png
Στιγμιότυπο 2019-05-16, 2.00.39 μμ.png
Στιγμιότυπο 2019-05-16, 2.00.47 μμ.png

EA117

Post by EA117 » Thu May 16, 2019 11:35 am

Hmm. Thanks for the additional screen shots, since having shown "all of them" answers the next question I had. 😃

The fact that your STK screen shot didn't seem to be complaining about any "missing" tables made me wonder whether the database actually contained both "bb_" and "BB_" tables. Such that STK "found the tables it was looking for", but then in addition "also found extra" but with "the same name." But the database appears to only show a single set of tables.

I think you've ruled out the "unexpected case-sensitivity" issue for STK, and the reason "all tables are declared Extra" in your case is for some other reason.

I don't have any good suggestions off-hand for how to further debug why STK is declaring these tables "Extra", but perhaps someone else might.

If it were happening to me, my own next step would be to take a backup of that database and my board files and restore them into a local XAMPP PHP 5.6.x environment. And thereby get "a second opinion" to see if STK still behaves the same way when running under the XAMPP environment too, versus whether it only behaved that way in my actual hosting environment. Really just "changing to another database and PHP environment to see if the issue remains unchanged", and not because of any particular or known issue.

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Thu May 16, 2019 3:18 pm

Is prosilver the only style installed and is it set to be the default?
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”