Why doesn't Google see my site description?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
static1635

Why doesn't Google see my site description?

Post by static1635 » Fri May 17, 2019 11:22 am

My google listing looks like this:

The Biggles Forum - Portal
bigglesforum.net/forum/app.php/portal.php
Enter the forum. Captain W. E. Johns. Follow ... Share us: Please donate. Donations go directly to forum costs, thank you! The Biggles Forum - established 2003.

The Biggles Forum - Forum
www.bigglesforum.net/forum/
About the forum, Captain W.E. Johns and Biggles. Including samples of ... About issues with the forum and articles on how to use the forum. FAQ. 11 Topics: 151 ...

But the details I have put in are:

(Tiitle) The Biggles Forum - (Description) A place to talk about Biggles and Captain W.E. Johns. About flying hero James C Bigglesworth (known to his friends as Biggles) and all the creations from the books of Captain W.E. Johns. For talk about any subject Biggles related or not.

I don't like the way it adds "Portal" and "Forum" but nothing else. Looks awful on Google and I suspect is reducing my searchability.

Thanks for any ideas, Justin

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Why doesn't Google see my site description?

Post by KevC » Fri May 17, 2019 11:29 am

I get these two results
The Biggles Forum - Forum
https://www.bigglesforum.net/forum/

Aircraft, Aviation, Transport Aircraft, aviation. Flight simulators. Flight, flying, pilots, aircraft related or other hardware. Also automobiles, trains and ships. 7 Topics ...
The Biggles Forum - Portal
https://bigglesforum.net/forum/app.php/portal

The Biggles Forum. A place to talk about Biggles and Captain W.E. Johns. About flying hero James C Bigglesworth (known to his friends as Biggles) and all the ...
The top one looks like it's picking up one of the forum descriptions. Is that the only forum the bots group can get to maybe?
2nd one correctly picks up your site description.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

static1635

Post by static1635 » Fri May 17, 2019 11:36 am

Ah, interesting, the Google algorithm seems to show you something else. I check my robots permissions though. Thanks.

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman » Fri May 17, 2019 4:10 pm

There is no guarantee what Google or other SE's will display for the snippet of text in search results however they will typically use the meta description between the head tags, this is not the same as the description you set in phpBB's control panel. If none is provided they will use on page content which is what you are seeing. Also note different people can see different search results from Google especially if you have personalized search results enabled, geographical regions etc.

You can find information here for adding custom meta description:

viewtopic.php?f=641&t=2431896
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”