Sending emails from my phpBB board fails

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
EA117

Re: Sending emails from my phpBB board fails

Post by EA117 » Mon May 20, 2019 11:05 am

Mick wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 8:01 am
As long as you have the host installed board expect problems, your board isn’t that big can’t you just start again and install properly? The bottom line is you’re using your hosts software and support should be down to them.
They were attempting to do that in response to the recommendations here, so any recommendations on how to approach the errors encountered while doing that is certainly information they could use for trying again, if and when they do that.

Based on the actual evidence though, there is just zero expectation that "how was phpBB installed" as anything to do with the described issue. Since they already knew that changing the To: address phpBB passes to their host's PHP mail() function "solves" the problem before they even started this thread, and the discussion is moved on to trying to understand the "why."

3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di » Mon May 20, 2019 12:05 pm

I signed up at your board and got emails (in the SPAM folder) - http://prntscr.com/nqx2vw
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
👨‍🏫 | Take a tour to | The Studio | 👨‍🏫

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Mon May 20, 2019 12:06 pm

EA117 wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 11:05 am
there is just zero expectation that "how was phpBB installed" as anything to do with the described issue
The point is if the OP is using a host supplied install that we did not write the software for then he cannot expect full support for that software. There are many many cases here where the issue has been down to a one-click type installation. Spending days fixing third party software is a waste of time in my opinion especially when you don’t have a good baseline, such as a proper phpBB installation, to count on. If it isn’t the installation so be it.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

EA117

Post by EA117 » Mon May 20, 2019 12:47 pm

3Di wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 12:05 pm
I signed up at your board and got emails (in the SPAM folder) - http://prntscr.com/nqx2vw
Can't see from the screen shot, but they knew how to work around this issue before even creating this discussion. I expect you're successful because their board is running with the described fix, while they try to figure out this problem.

But you could verify that in the headers of the email you received: If the To: line has a display name, e.g. To: "=?UTF-8?B?M0Rp?=" <xxxxxx@3di.info>, then that would be unexpected. If it's just To: xxxxxx@3di.info without your phpBB account name included as the display name, then that is consistent with them running the fix so that email on their board works, while this issue is investigated.

Shadow_SHD

Post by Shadow_SHD » Mon May 20, 2019 5:22 pm

@3Di : yes because for now I have let the "fix" in functions_messenger.php ;)

@Mick and @EA117 : I've tried to make a clean install from the phpBB 3.2.7 archive and not from the one-click my provider offers but I'm facing a max_user_connections error at 54% of the installation.

So I guess my provider has modded some files to make the installation run smoothly with limited connections to the database.

Maybe I should see if we can move our cheap hosting service to a more comfortable one but I can't take that decision alone as I'm not the founder of the original ForumActif forum.

In parallel I made a phpBB installation on my Synology NAS with tools provided by Synology and everything works good and email are sent from my iCloud account.

The next step is to achieve a clean install of phpBB, at this point we'll know if the issue comes from the one-click installer or not ;)

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”