Notifications from ignored users

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Tomba
Name: Steven De Groote

Notifications from ignored users

Post by Tomba » Sun May 19, 2019 2:06 pm

Some of my forum's users are complaining that even when they ignore users, and that user quotes their posts, they still get a notification of that quote.

Though I didn't check it myself yet, I found this strange, so I'm wondering if this is indeed the case, and if this is actually intentional, or can be considered a bug?

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: Notifications from ignored users

Post by stevemaury » Sun May 19, 2019 4:03 pm

It is the case. If you think it is a bug, post in the Bug Tracker.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

WelshPaul

Post by WelshPaul » Sun May 19, 2019 7:39 pm

Yep, just tested this and you do get a notification when quoted by a user on your block list.

John connor
Name: Aaron

Post by John connor » Mon May 20, 2019 5:34 am

This also happens in vbulletin and XenForo. So it seems universal in many boards out there. For right now, request an extension until hopefully this behavior gets changed in the core of phpBB.

WelshPaul

Post by WelshPaul » Mon May 20, 2019 6:23 am

John connor

Post by John connor » Mon May 20, 2019 2:10 pm

Voted.

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury » Mon May 20, 2019 3:05 pm

The Friend/Foe feature is designed to hide posts. It does not necessarily follow that because you want to hide a Foe's posts, you also do not wish to know when that Foe quotes you. Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

John connor

Post by John connor » Mon May 20, 2019 9:33 pm

stevemaury wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 3:05 pm
The Friend/Foe feature is designed to hide posts. It does not necessarily follow that because you want to hide a Foe's posts, you also do not wish to know when that Foe quotes you. Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
What if an extension can do like what happens in XenForo and collapse the quoted post and let the user chose whether they want to view it or not?

EA117

Post by EA117 » Tue May 21, 2019 12:03 am

stevemaury wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 3:05 pm
Certainly there is truth to the "it doesn't necessarily follow" statement. But it still seems like there is a logical "What should the default behavior be?" in absence of granular control to more explicitly declare what you did & did not intend to block.

Meaning if putting someone in the block list prevents you from being able to see the post in which the quote has been made, its actually logical that "the default should have been to not be informed about the post." Whether by subscription to topic, subscription to forum, quoting, username pings included in the post (not that it's a default phpBB feature), etc.

Otherwise the default behavior is "this feature provides you a way to deal with trolls, but does not actually prevent them from continuing to troll you, and there is no off switch for that."

So although I actually agree "each person might have their own preference for whether quote notifications should have still been allowed", in absence of any fine-grain control that allows you to actually indicate a more nuanced preference, the default behavior should definitely be in line with "the reason you put this person in this list is because you didn't want to hear from them."

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury » Tue May 21, 2019 1:05 am

If you think it is a bug, post in the Bug Tracker.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”