Two topics under one ID

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Chalice

Two topics under one ID

Post by Chalice » Mon May 20, 2019 2:49 pm

Greetings!

Our board had a load of topics moved in from another board. The work was done by third party company and there's one small adjustment left for us to deal with. There's a small number of topics that can't be accessed for the link directs to a wrong topic. Maybe the topic ID is the same or we don't know what is the real IDs of the unaccessable topics. How would you deal with the situation?

I thought one solution could be changing the ID of the topics the links directs us. How can the topic ID be changed?

If this won't open the unaccessable topic, presumably behind the same ID, then how would one go about finding the topics? We have backups but I'm oblivious to how one goes on to dig specific topics out of them.

EDIT:
Just after many days of trying to solve this and posting here, I realized the unaccessable topics were in another area and the links were mirror topics. I guess I'll try to delete the mirror link and mirror it again.
Last edited by Chalice on Mon May 20, 2019 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

david63
Name: David Wood

Re: Two topics under one ID

Post by david63 » Mon May 20, 2019 3:02 pm

Chalice wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 2:49 pm
How would you deal with the situation?
I would go back to the "third party company" and get them to finish the job.

Because of the nature of the interconnected tables in phpBB it would be very dangerous to try to manually change topic and/or post ids unless you fully understand database structures.

You might want to try posting in the Wanted forum to see if anybody is willing to try and sort it out for you.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Mon May 20, 2019 3:02 pm

There are a several different tables you need to deal with.
In addition to the Forum, Topic and Post tables, you also have to make sure the the post's Author is a valid user number.
There should be no need to change topic ids, as long as the post table rows all have the same topic ID as the topic table row.

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Mon May 20, 2019 3:03 pm

Tell the third party company to fix it. This is not a trivial endeavor. It can only be done by manipulating the database and there are many interrelationships between various tables, particularly where topic ids are concerned. Even if you changed all the unfound topic ids to a unique value, there would be other places in the database that would need to be changed as well, and in a coordinated manner.

I won't sat it is impossible but ordinarily we tell people that posts (not threads, there are no threads in phpBB) cannot successfully be merged from one database to another.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

Chalice

Post by Chalice » Mon May 20, 2019 3:04 pm

Just after many days of trying to solve this and finally posting here, I realized the unaccessable topics were in another area and the links were mirror topics. I guess I'll try to delete the mirror link and mirror it again. :oops:

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”