[split] posting.php blank page issue

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
dkman123

[split] posting.php blank page issue

Post by dkman123 »

I think my post is stuck awaiting a Mod's OK, but I wanted to add more detail.

What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.2.7
What is your board's URL? https://risenfromashes.us/phpBB3
Who do you host your board with? self
How did you install your board? I downloaded the zip (yes, the ZIP)
What is the most recent action performed on your board? Fresh Install
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? Yes (at least how I'm producing it)
Do you have any MODs installed? No
Do you have any extensions installed? No
What styles do you currently have installed? AcitTech, currently disabled
What language(s) is your board currently using? English GB
Which database type/version are you using? MySQL 5.7
What is your level of experience? Comfortable with PHP and phpBB
What actions did you take (updating your board; installing a MOD, style or extension; etc.) prior to this problem becoming noticeable? I installed and configured PHPBB.
Please describe your problem. The posting.php gives a blank page after attempting to create a post. I have enabled PHP Errors.

Same error as Mike, but I'm using phpbb (3.2.7) using PHP (7.2.17), libxml2 (2.9.4), apache2 (2.4.29)
A prettier formatted error message:
Fatal error:
Uncaught TypeError: Argument 1 passed to s9e\TextFormatter\Configurator\TemplateNormalizations\AbstractNormalization::normalize()
must be an instance of DOMElement, null given, called in /var/www/html/phpBB3/vendor/s9e/text-formatter/src/Configurator.php on line 7177
and defined in /var/www/html/phpBB3/vendor/s9e/text-formatter/src/Configurator.php:3987
Stack trace:
#0 /var/www/html/phpBB3/vendor/s9e/text-formatter/src/Configurator.php(7177): s9e\TextFormatter\Configurator\TemplateNormalizations\AbstractNormalization->normalize(NULL)
#1 /var/www/html/phpBB3/phpbb/textformatter/s9e/factory.php(539): s9e\TextFormatter\Configurator\TemplateNormalizer->normalizeTemplate('<blockquote><xs...')
#2 /var/www/html/phpBB3/phpbb/textformatter/s9e/factory.php(280): phpbb\textformatter\s9e\factory->get_default_bbcodes(Object(s9e\TextFormatter\Configurator))
#3 /var/www/html/phpBB3/phpbb/textformatter/s9e/factory.php(387): phpbb\textformatter\s9e\factory->get_configurator()
#4 /var/www/html/phpBB3/phpbb/textformatter/s9e/pa in /var/www/html/phpBB3/vendor/s9e/text-formatter/src/Configurator.php on line 3987

I don't want to hijack Mike's post, but I think the source of the error is common. We're using apache vs nginx, so it's not the httpd. Slightly different versions of php. The same version of libxml2 though.

I'd be happy to webex with JoshyPHP to look into it in our environment.I have full server access.
rxu
Extensions Development Team

Re: [split] posting.php blank page issue

Post by rxu »

What is the post content you try to send that causes the error? Or do you get error for any post sent?

Also, for the reference: viewtopic.php?f=556&t=2468086
JoshyPHP
Code Contributor

Post by JoshyPHP »

If that's the same issue as the one referenced above, run the 5 lines script from this post and if it doesn't match the expected output:
  • Go to https://bugs.php.net/ and file a bug using the 5 lines script as an example.
  • Try recompiling PHP and/or libxml, or try another version of either or both.
In last resort, you can go through the codebase and replace every occurence of documentElement with firstChild but there's no guarantee it will fix it.
I wrote the library that handles markup in phpBB 3.2+.
dkman123

Post by dkman123 »

That seems to work beautifully. Ever file I changed I wrapped with an
if ($dom->documentElement !== NULL){
// do whatever code existed
}
else {
// do slightly modified code
}

I also stuck it up on github at https://github.com/dkman123/phpBB3_fix/tree/master so non-coders can benefit.
JoshyPHP
Code Contributor

Post by JoshyPHP »

I think the only way to really solve this issue is to file a PHP bug and find out what's going on.
I wrote the library that handles markup in phpBB 3.2+.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”