Basic procedure to create forum

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Vettius Valens

Basic procedure to create forum

Post by Vettius Valens »

Greetings everyone,
(Mods, please move our thread accordingly if we have posted in wrong forum)

We have zero understanding on how to create, modify, run, and protect a forum. Can anyone help us to understand the procedure to create forum, please?
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Re: Basic procedure to create forum

Post by HiFiKabin »

You don't need any special knowledge to run a phpBB board. You just need the phpBB software, a hosting package, a domain name and a FTP program.

I suggest that you download the latest release from https://www.phpbb.com/downloads/, unzip it on your computer and have a read of the information in the docs directory.

Moving to support
Vettius Valens

Post by Vettius Valens »

HiFiKabin,

Thanks for prompt reply. How about approximation cost to run a forum? We had read few threads somewhere else that it would cost some money to get a hosting package, and etc.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

phpBB provides the software for free from the download page, you would need hosting to run it and this is a service we do not provide. For a site with light traffic most $5 to $10 a month basic hosting packages will suffice.

We do not make recommendations for hosts but you can try http://www.webhostingtalk.com/ for advice on that.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

There are plenty of hosts out there for not a lot of money, some even have free offers on the go so you should have a look round the web for the best deals. We can’t really recommend a host, but we do recommend that you visit WebHostingTalk. Note phpBB doesn’t have threads it uses topics.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

Also please note that a phpBB installation s a "Board". That Board can optionally be divided into "Forums".
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”