My entire site went blank after autoupdate 325 to 327

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Mathion

My entire site went blank after autoupdate 325 to 327

Post by Mathion »

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.2.7
What is your board's URL? http://phcampbell.info
Who do you host your board with? GoDaddy
How did you install your board? I used a tool provided by my host
What is the most recent action performed on your board? Update from a previous version of phpBB3
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? No
Do you have any MODs installed? No
Do you have any extensions installed? No
What version of phpBB3 did you update from? phpBB 3.0-B1
What styles do you currently have installed? Prosilver,Black-Silver
What language(s) is your board currently using? British English
Which database type/version are you using? I Don't Know
What is your level of experience? Please select your answer
What actions did you take (updating your board; installing a MOD, style or extension; etc.) prior to this problem becoming noticeable? Updated the board from 3.2.5 to 3.2.7 using the Auto-update version.
Please describe your problem. I changed the original vendor file to .vendor and then uploaded both the install and vendor files, plus what else was needed per the instructions. Initially, multiple errors were discovered in ProSilver, despite it being the vanilla install. I downloaded the files that needed to be changed and uploaded them as per instructions. That didn't seem to do anything, since the issues still showed up. I deleted Prosilver, and the issues STILL showed up. I went ahead with the installation, since I knew it would reinstall Prosilver.

The update appeared to install successfully, and I had no errors. The ACP showed the correct (new) version. I checked the board information and noticed that all the board information (with respect to title, URL, etc.) was missing, and I re-entered all of that. The rest of the information was correct.

I then renamed the install folder to .install as I always do (the previous .install folder was deleted before beginning) and tried to go to the board index.

I got absolutely nothing showing up. No images, no text, just a blank white page. I lost access to the ACP as well, and only have FTP access to anything at the site.

My SSL certs had expired the day before, so thinking that may be the issue, I renewed them. That wasn't the issue. I am now reinstalling the entire thing from scratch, having saved my .config files and other relevant files and will see if that works.

The most notable thing about the update is that I keep getting "file exists" notices, but the file didn't exist before I started the update, which tells me it's trying to install the same file TWICE to the same directory. My default is to update if the source file is newer. I've never seen that message in previous phpBB version updates.
Generated by SRT Generator
dkman123

Re: My entire site went blank after autoupdate 325 to 327

Post by dkman123 »

A blank white page indicates a PHP error is happening.

You can view the error in your web log (for example /var/log/apache2/errors.log)
Or you can edit the php.ini to display errors. As an example:
leafpad/etc/php/7.2/apache2/php.ini
find the line with "display_errors =" and change it to
display_errors = On

Now visit your page.

For security reasons you don't normally want to run PHP that way because it can spill information that could be useful to attackers, but while debugging a situation it can be helpful.
</Solidjeuh>
Name: Andy Dm

Post by </Solidjeuh> »

How did you install your board? I used a tool provided by my host
Bad idea. Always use the phpBB packages from this forum.
EA117

Post by EA117 »

Mathion wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 11:10 pm Please describe your problem. I changed the original vendor file to .vendor and then uploaded both the install and vendor files, plus what else was needed per the instructions. Initially, multiple errors were discovered in ProSilver...
I've never used phpBB's automatic update method, but can you actually remove the /vendor directory like that with that method? I thought the automatic update was "only delivering the files you need" to get from phpBB 3.2.5 to phpBB 3.2.7, and wouldn't contain "everything." Meaning the current errors could stem from the fact your /vendor directory is now incomplete.

When you don't have edits that need to be preserved in the core files, the recommended process is Knowledge Base - Updating 3.2.x, using the full package download. During which, yes, at step 6, you'll need to delete/rename the existing /vendor directory, so that the new /vendor directory contents are the only /vendor directory contents on your server.
janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal »

I've never used phpBB's automatic update method, but can you actually remove the /vendor directory like that with that method? I thought the automatic update was "only delivering the files you need" to get from phpBB 3.2.5 to phpBB 3.2.7, and wouldn't contain "everything." Meaning the current errors could stem from the fact your /vendor directory is now incomplete.
There is a complete new /vendor folder in the auto update files
So the answer on your question is yes.
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!
EA117

Post by EA117 »

janus_zonstraal wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 8:01 pm There is a complete new /vendor folder in the auto update files
So the answer on your question is yes.
Thank you for the confirmation. So while there may still be merit to performing the full package update process instead, it doesn't sound like there should have been any fundamental issue with the described /vendor directory approach that was taken with the auto-update package.
newsbee

Post by newsbee »

I am having exactly the same problem: blank screen after automatic update form 3.2.5 to 3.2.7
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin »

newsbee wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 4:47 pm I am having exactly the same problem: blank screen after automatic update form 3.2.5 to 3.2.7
Please fill out the Support Request Template and post it back in your own new topic enable us to assist you better.
newsbee

Post by newsbee »

Thanks, but I have discovered the issue: the previous version of the Media Embed extension caused the blank screen. I have updated the extension, the
forum is visible and working, but Facebook videos do not play inside the posts...

PS. The FB videos do play in Chrome, but not in Safari.
kamaleon

Post by kamaleon »

I also had this same problem with that media embed extension.
This is a test signature. I hope you love it :D

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”