Attachment photos are eating up my hard drive space

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Swanny

Attachment photos are eating up my hard drive space

Post by Swanny »

So there was an update what maybe 6 months ago??? that disabled ImageMagick from resizing photos when they were attached (uploaded) by members.

Well that's having a huge impact on my forums attachment quota. I searched but couldn't find the thread discussing this.

Is there some way I can make ImageMagick work again instead of GD? Or is there another way of limiting the stored file size at time of upload? Things were working great before that upgrade, now I keep increasing the quota and it keeps filling up.
canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Re: Attachment photos are eating up my hard drive space

Post by canonknipser »

Imagemagick never resized attachments in vanilla phpBB - it only created the thumbnails. Resizing of the attachments was and is done by third-party plupload library included in phpBB.

But, as a alternative to crappy GD thumbnailing I created a extension to use Imagick function call instead of (no longer working) direct Imagemagick calls. See https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... umbnailer/
Greetings, Frank
phpbb.de support team member
English is not my native language - no support via PM or mail
New arrival - Extensions and scripts for phpBB
Swanny

Post by Swanny »

Thanks, I have installed that to see if it helps.

The weird thing here is that prior to 3.2.4 upgrade I see it was, the photos that got uploaded as attachments were automatically resized (the main photos, not thumbnails) to a maximum size. Since then they are uploaded full size.

Here are my settings FYI:
image-settings.png
canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Post by canonknipser »

Try to change the setting for maximum image dimensions (to eg. 1200 x 1200 - which is a suitable maximum size for most images). It will work for all new images, not those currently posted with the wrong setting.

My extension only works on thumbnails - as you disabled "Create thumbnail", it doesn't do anything.

Edit: be aware, as a administrator or a moderator, the maximum image dimension setting is not in effect - images posted by those accounts are not resized
Greetings, Frank
phpbb.de support team member
English is not my native language - no support via PM or mail
New arrival - Extensions and scripts for phpBB

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”