URLs in new posts not working after 3.2.7 upgrade

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Weegiegrum

URLs in new posts not working after 3.2.7 upgrade

Post by Weegiegrum » Tue May 28, 2019 8:58 pm

I'm having a problem following an update from 3.2.2 to 3.2.7, where URLs in posts are not showing as hyperlinks. Older posts still work fine, but links will only display as text in new or edited posts (such as this one here.

I did the update from the hosts control panel, but I wasn't convinced that it had worked as I was left with a blank white page so I then uploaded the /install and /vendor folders from the automatic update package and proceeded from there, which worked. I then deleted the install file, purged the cache, and apart from having to replace the site logo, all seemed OK until I tried editing a post.

This was my first time actually doing a forum update myself, so I've probably gone wrong somewhere, but where?

Grahame

EA117

Re: URLs in new posts not working after 3.2.7 upgrade

Post by EA117 » Wed May 29, 2019 12:13 am

Weegiegrum wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 8:58 pm
I did the update from the hosts control panel, but I wasn't convinced that it had worked as I was left with a blank white page so I then uploaded the /install and /vendor folders from the automatic update package and proceeded from there, which worked.
When you re-uploaded the /vendor folder, did you remove the existing /vendor folder first? That was one of two different root causes identified for seeing the URLs not work after updating to phpBB 3.2.6 or phpBB 3.2.7, identified during this earlier discussion.

The manual update instructions for updating from one phpBB 3.2.x version to another are in the Knowledge Base - Updating 3.2.x document, and include the step of removing the existing /vendor directory first when uploading. If you're still having any question or issue of the updating being done correctly, follow the entire document, exactly.

The other root cause described in there is if you happen to be using the "External Link In New Window" extension, some users found they had to disable that extension, as though it might not be compatible with phpBB 3.2.7.

Weegiegrum

Post by Weegiegrum » Wed May 29, 2019 12:00 pm

OK, I don't have the 'external links in new tab' extension installed, so I tried simply deleting the /vendor directory and uploading a fresh copy from download - but the url problem persists.

Then I carried out a full manual install from a fresh download of 3.2.7, following the knowledge base instructions, then ran the database updater which showed complete - now I'm just getting a white screen and no board.

I can get into the ACP but when I select the 'forums' tab, I get a white screen. Is there something else I should be doing, or do I need to restore from backup?

.m.

Post by .m. » Wed May 29, 2019 12:26 pm

for the white screen,
try to find server error log at your web host control panel & check its recent entries

EA117

Post by EA117 » Wed May 29, 2019 12:29 pm

Weegiegrum wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 12:00 pm
OK, I don't have the 'external links in new tab' extension installed, so I tried simply deleting the /vendor directory and uploading a fresh copy from download - but the url problem persists.
One further clarification to that: Any post which was already broken would still be broken. The test to see "is the issue fixed now" would be to write a new post with URLs in it, or to edit one of the existing broken posts and make any change (a new space, a new line, etc.) and re-save the message. The point is that you need the message to be re-parsed with "how the /vendor directory is now", versus looking at and older existing post that was saved "back when the /vendor directory was broken."

That may already be exactly what you did; just clarifying to be sure.
Weegiegrum wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 12:00 pm
Then I carried out a full manual install from a fresh download of 3.2.7, following the knowledge base instructions, then ran the database updater which showed complete - now I'm just getting a white screen and no board.
For any of the white screen situations, the useful information is likely to be in the Apache error log (if the PHP implementation is installed as an Apache module) or in an independent PHP-specific error log. "White screen" usually just means the PHP execution aborted prematurely, and so the error log can show hints of "what was happening when this condition occurred."

That error log info might suggest there is a simple explanation that would help get the board going, versus whether the error log seems to show something completely unknown and restoring back to a working board might be the best option for getting it going in a timely manner, before trying to update again in the future.

Weegiegrum

Post by Weegiegrum » Wed May 29, 2019 1:52 pm

EA117 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 12:29 pm
One further clarification to that: Any post which was already broken would still be broken. The test to see "is the issue fixed now" would be to write a new post with URLs in it, or to edit one of the existing broken posts and make any change (a new space, a new line, etc.) and re-save the message.
I did try editing an existing post, but I only previewed it.
EA117 wrote: For any of the white screen situations, the useful information is likely to be in the Apache error log (if the PHP implementation is installed as an Apache module) or in an independent PHP-specific error log. "White screen" usually just means the PHP execution aborted prematurely, and so the error log can show hints of "what was happening when this condition occurred."

That error log info might suggest there is a simple explanation that would help get the board going, versus whether the error log seems to show something completely unknown and restoring back to a working board might be the best option for getting it going in a timely manner, before trying to update again in the future.
The forum error log is showing:
Email error
» EMAIL/PHP/mail()
/forum/memberlist.php

There's nothing in the server Apache error log.

I have restored from a server backup to get things up and running again, but I'm now back to where I started with URLs not parsing correctly.
I welcome any suggestions as to how best to proceed? :?

.m.

Post by .m. » Wed May 29, 2019 2:10 pm

^ you have checked error log at phpBB admin panel.
suggestion was to check error log at your web host's control panel.

Weegiegrum

Post by Weegiegrum » Wed May 29, 2019 2:23 pm

.m. wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 2:10 pm
suggestion was to check error log at your web host's control panel.
There's nothing in the server control panel error log.

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Wed May 29, 2019 4:06 pm

Did you edit the linked post? Because it's 12 years old and you said the old posts worked.

What version of phpBB does the ACP report? What is your version of php?
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

EA117

Post by EA117 » Wed May 29, 2019 5:01 pm

Weegiegrum wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 1:52 pm
I have restored from a server backup to get things up and running again, but I'm now back to where I started with URLs not parsing correctly.
I am also confused by this point. Restoring back to phpBB 3.2.2, you still have the [url] issue? As though this was already broken even back in the phpBB 3.2.2 site. Or are you saying you restored back to phpBB 3.2.2, all the posts were fine, but you then re-attempted the phpBB 3.2.7 update process again using the Knowledge Base - Updating 3.2.x steps, including making sure the /vendor directory is deleted before it is updated. And only then arrived back in the state of still seeing the [url] issue?

Steve and anyone else who knows: Does a minor version update like 3.2.2 to 3.2.7 trigger the reparse cron job again?

I know it happens when updating from 3.0.x to 3.1.x, since the feature is new to 3.2.x. But does your board get entirely reparsed again during 3.2.x to 3.2.x updates such as this one? Just wondering if that might be another reason for "posts I didn't touch" to be broken, if those particular messages happened to be reached by the reparse cron job while the /vendor directory was still in an ill state.

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury » Wed May 29, 2019 5:53 pm

Both his CHANGELOG.html and style.cfg files are from 3.2.7.

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

Weegiegrum

Post by Weegiegrum » Thu May 30, 2019 8:32 am

stevemaury wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 5:53 pm
Both his CHANGELOG.html and style.cfg files are from 3.2.7.
Steve is correct. I restored the 3.2.7 upgrade from a server backup. The issue remains as my OP (example here).

To recap:
  • I did the 3.2.2 to 3.2.7 upgrade using an automatic built-in utility on the host server; result - white screen.
  • Downloaded the auto-update package, extracted the /install and /vendor folders and uploaded to server, deleted /install folder, purged cache; result - the url issue.
  • Then deleteed /vendor folder and re-uploaded a fresh copy; no change.
  • Next, tried a full manual install of 3.2.7 from a fresh download; result: white screen.
  • Reverted to initial 3.2.7 upgrade from a server backup.

EA117

Post by EA117 » Thu May 30, 2019 11:55 am

Weegiegrum wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 8:32 am
  • Downloaded the auto-update package, extracted the /install and /vendor folders and uploaded to server, deleted /install folder, purged cache; result - the url issue.
  • Then deleteed /vendor folder and re-uploaded a fresh copy; no change.
Thanks for the clarification; so the restored backup was from one of these two points, where a phpBB 3.2.7 update had been performed, and the result was the URL issue rather than the white screen issue.

That there isn't anything in the Apache error log is good, but can simply mean you fall into the other case of "the PHP on my server is not installed as an Apache module", and so you're looking for an error log unique to PHP. It's also possible that the PHP errors are being sent to the Linux system log, in which case you might even need to have your hosting service support look for the information for you.

In the PHP Info screen in ACP (from General tab, or System tab), what shows in the "Core" section for the "error_log" value? That can be a specific file name you can expect the errors to be logged to, or it might be a reserved word or simply no value / default. If your hosting control panel gives you control of PHP options / PHP.INI options, you might also try simply turning "display_errors" to "on" (if its not already) and see if you can get the errors displayed inline with the actual HTML page.

"Where is your error log" is worth investigating and figuring out where that information is, because to understand the cause of the white screen that you're getting regardless of what phpBB 3.2.7 update method you're using, you almost certainly have to know what kind of error was being encountered.

e.g. If you're using the MediaEmbed extension, this has caused more than one phpBB site to crash after updating to phpBB 3.2.7, and will be clearly pointed to in the error log information. You're looking for clues like that or something very similar to that.

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury » Thu May 30, 2019 3:07 pm

stevemaury wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 4:06 pm
Did you edit the linked post? Because it's 12 years old and you said the old posts worked.

Weegiegrum

Post by Weegiegrum » Thu May 30, 2019 3:09 pm

EA117 wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 11:55 am
"Where is your error log" is worth investigating and figuring out where that information is, because to understand the cause of the white screen that you're getting regardless of what phpBB 3.2.7 update method you're using, you almost certainly have to know what kind of error was being encountered.

e.g. If you're using the MediaEmbed extension, this has caused more than one phpBB site to crash after updating to phpBB 3.2.7, and will be clearly pointed to in the error log information. You're looking for clues like that or something very similar to that.
Many thanks to you for that information; it has proved very helpful. I'm not that familiar with finding my way around the server control panel, but with your information I was able to find the correct error log, which contains a huge swathe of errors, all of which relate to the MediaEmbed extension!

I have updated the MediaEmbed extension. Then tried deleting/uploading the /vendor folder again, purged cache, but the url issue is still there.
stevemaury wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 3:07 pm
The phbBB version is 3.2.7 and the PHP version is 5.6.39.

Thank you for bearing with me on this.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”