re: Influx of registrations

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
DV1

re: Influx of registrations

Post by DV1 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:50 pm

I've had forums before and registering was easy on the part of registrants and I as admin could adjust some things here and there if needed.

Soon I am going to initiate a new forum as part of a new domain. But the difference this time is that a lot of people might be registering in a short amount of time. So much so, that the list of inactivated users in the ACP is going to be a long list and growing. This is a possibility.

Normally, I would activate the user, permissions, etc., at leisure. But with the possibility of being swamped by registrations then I've got to know what would facilitate such.

I know that with 'newly registered users' they can go directly to the board but I always wanted some type of notification first to me and then I approved it. I'm not sure how or if that method would work time-wise with a larger number of registrations.

So, what I basically want to know is how to make the registrations and my handling of them a relatively easy task in the eventuality of a fast and large number of registrants. I hope I've explained this well.

Thank You

Daniel

Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: re: Influx of registrations

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:18 pm

use the built in stuff of phpbb.

use the Q&A anti spam settings. find a good question that google can't answer. the register bots can use google just like we can , maybe better.

setup the first post to have to be approved by you or your staff. that will stop just about all the human spammers.

set the registration to "by email" that way you won't have to mess with any of it other than to moderate the first post of registered members.

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:56 am

Do you 'know' the people who are going to be signing up?
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

DV1

Post by DV1 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:43 pm

Robert

Thank you for responding.

Noted your information. Will apply it.

Daniel

DV1

Post by DV1 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:57 pm

KevC

Thank you for responding.

In this case the registration will be mostly by people I don't know.

Like most people who have forums there's always a bit of wishful thinking and all that about it being popular. But this time it wasn't anything to do with wishful thinking, it was more like sober advice from somewhere. So, I figured best to be prepared than all of a sudden freak out with an overload.

It may not happen, it could be just another regular forum, and that's okay. But that feeling of being prepared just won't go away. Yeah, it's weird.

I recently upped my hosting to a different plan. Now I've got more space and bandwidth and also 50 databases (though I have no idea what the heck I would use 50 databases for. :D )

Daniel

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:00 pm

That's ok. Do as Robert said then.

The fact that you were expecting a lot of people in a short time (which almost never happens despite wishful thinking) suggested maybe you were moving an old site to a new one or an offline club to an online one. In which case there was a slightly different way you could use Q&A by sending a unique code to the people you were expecting to join.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:14 pm

it always surprised me to see a host that offers a certain number of databases as part of the plan.

I have been doing this since 1995 back when there were only a couple of companies for hosting.
I have never had a plan with a limit to the number of databases you could create.
I also usually buy the cheapest host I can find and the only limit I have ever had on databases was the overall disk space of the plan I purchased.

I see them offered that way but have never bought one. I use a lot of databases . one for every phpbb install and one for every wp install etc. etc.

having said all this, you could actually install many different programs on one database as long as you remember to use a different table prefix for each one.

just ranting, sorry,
robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:18 pm

Robert, twice I’ve seen you mention 1995 this week. Are you feeling nostalgic?
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:27 pm

Mick wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:18 pm
Robert, twice I’ve seen you mention 1995 this week. Are you feeling nostalgic?
just old.

robert

DV1

Post by DV1 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:00 pm

Robert

There is another plan higher than the one I've got and that has unlimited databases. Yes, I figure I will use some of them for WP and maybe some kind of commercial/ad something or another; but that's later if needed.

1995. Yes, that's around when I started to get into PCs. You feel old? I'm just getting started. :D

Note to KevC and Mick: Next time you see 'Lumpy', give him one of those special gummy bears. :D

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:05 pm

never liked the gummy bear things but considering the lack of teeth now days I might have to resort to eating gummy bear steaks.

robert

canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Post by canonknipser » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:48 pm

Next step will be drinking mashed gummy bear steaks :mrgreen:
Greetings, Frank
phpbb.de support team member
English is not my native language - no support via PM or mail
New arrival - Extensions and scripts for phpBB

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”